Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I've known many people who have moved out of Detroit. None of them ever told me the reason they were moving was "oppressive law enforcement" or "police brutality".

Also, I've heard two thing in this thread. 1. Police have become more militarized. 2. The crime rate, including the murder rate, has dropped. Anyone think there is a connection between the evolution of police equipment and tactics and the drop in crime? Probably worth considering.

Is the author of this thread really complaining about the border patrol here? The city lacks police presence and I'd assume that it would be welcome. Don't break the law, and I'm sure you'll be fine..... unless you shouldn't be here?

Default Federal cops pull over car on Bagley. Why?

"I guess there are numerous complaints about agents tearing through the neighborhoods, and putting peoples safety and property at risk."

How does that compare against the numerous complaints of gangsta's & thugs tearing through the neighborhoods, and putting peoples safety and property at risk? The DPD doesn't seem to want to take those reports either.

"From my personal POV I do not like or believe necessary the presence of Federal troops in state territory, troops I say because they are armed and above the state and local law in many instances. And they are business killers."

Absolutely! They're EXACTLY what's killing business in Detroit. Not the muggings, home invasions, car jackings, murders, shootings, physical assaults, or spray-painted blight. It's the Federal "troops".

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Is the author of this thread really complaining about the border patrol here? The city lacks police presence and I'd assume that it would be welcome. Don't break the law, and I'm sure you'll be fine..... unless you shouldn't be here?
    I love the PATRIOT Act, too. I am pushing for every home to have a federal agent assigned inside to keep an eye on every US citizen at every moment. If you don't break the law, you'll be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    The author of this thread does not like federal troops or officers doing police work in the State of Michigan. This should be the jurisdiction of the local, county and state police. Money we are paying to the Federal government for these armed federal personnel should remain here with our cash-strapped law enforcement agencies, who know our communities the best, and should be getting that money.

I'll stop there but there are also issues of sovereignty and civil rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "From my personal POV I do not like or believe necessary the presence of Federal troops in state territory, troops I say because they are armed and above the state and local law in many instances. And they are business killers."

Absolutely! They're EXACTLY what's killing business in Detroit. Not the muggings, home invasions, car jackings, murders, shootings, physical assaults, or spray-painted blight. It's the Federal "troops".
    Yes. While I am certainly not advocating a carte blanche to law enforcement or martial law, by all means, send your unwanted "federal troops" to us on the eastside. I mean, have you seen the eastside?

Also if "federal troops" are being expelled from "state territory" I'm not quite sure where they're supposed to go, except the District of Columbia, Guam, and a few other obscure islands [[or foreign countries). That's a lot troops to fit on Guam. The federal government is sovereign, I am afraid. The southern segregationist governors wanted federal troops out too - didn't work then, won't work now.

Finally, whatever opinions there are, they're not "troops." The only branch of the military that can perform law enforcement is the Coast Guard, and again, I'm pretty sure you don't want to rescind that. You'd also be disarming and kicking out the FBI [[which are federal agents and have guns so therefore apparently are 'troops') but I'm pretty sure that would not be to our benefit, either - right? You can't just go around conveniently disarming federal agents you don't like.
    Last edited by poobert; September-17-12 at 10:06 AM.

How does that compare against the numerous complaints of gangsta's & thugs tearing through the neighborhoods, and putting peoples safety and property at risk? The DPD doesn't seem to want to take those reports either.
    How should it compare? Because I wasn't assaulted by some caracature "gangsta" that some how makes the seriousness of my incident less? I was almost snuffed out by an overzealous ICE agent on my way to the bank, in a residential neighborhood full of children at 2 in the afternoon. If I hadn't hit the gas when I did, he would have smashed into my driver side going at least 60 mph. That spells deadmeat in my book.

Is his position as a law enforcement agent more important than my life? This ain't Lethal Weapon. Innocent people do get maimed and die by the hands of careless police in real life.

Besides, I didn't read anybody posting, "these agents are worse than the criminals," so I guess I'm confused as to what point you're trying to make. Is it, can't make an omlet without breakin some eggs? Well, I think my loved ones would beg to disagree with you on that.

By your own admission you were drinking, but you want your reader to consider your anecdotal recollection accurate? You report the BP came out of nowhere, screamed past your vehicle narrowly missing you and it was only due to your superior driving skills that avoided a deadly head-on collision; then you report they lit up your vehicle with a high- powered searchlight for ten minutes while you continued to consume your adult beverages. Hmmm, the facts you report makes you sound as completely unreliable and therefore unbelievable.

Border Patrol flies Predator Drones over the eastside, the path I see it fly is along 8 Mile Road on the Wayne County side, over Eastland Center and then slightly north [[to stay out of the Pointes) through St Clair Shores. It sounds like a big remote controlled airplane, you can hear it coming.

Posse Comitatus-atcha.

"How should it compare? Because I wasn't assaulted by some caracature "gangsta" that some how makes the seriousness of my incident less?"

No, it was very serious and you could have been dead. The point is people die daily from non-caricature "gangsta's", and I don't hear anyone having fits about that particular uniform, or the fact no one bothered to take that report down. I winessed a shoot-out where the guy being shot @ came down the wrong way on a one way street, backwards, @ some ungodly rate of speed, taking off his door and part of the fire hydrant, in front of a school. There was no outrage or blog going on for 3 pages. NOW, had they had blue uniforms instead of "D" shirts and bandanas..... Personally, I feel my life is threatened more often by those kinds criminals then the cops.

There was no outrage or blog going on for 3 pages.
    That is because we do not hold criminals to any standards. They are criminals because they prey on society.

But we ostensibly hold police to a higher standard.

They are supposed to enforce the law fairly.

They are supposed to uphold the Constitution.

They are considered public servants and most people believe they should be accountable to the public they serve.

When cops break the rules, mace innocent kids, shoot down homeless people, lie about the law, make unfair arrests or plant evidence, they are no better than the criminals you abhor.

In fact they are worse. Because they have gone back on their word.

If you can't see this, or refuse to acknowledge this, why should anybody listen to you?

I wish there were more cops and less criminals, but border patrol are government goons. Anyone who deals with these creeps would change their tune if they ever were pulled over or harassed for driving downtown minding their own business.
    Oh no, did I just make the list.....

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    By your own admission you were drinking, but you want your reader to consider your anecdotal recollection accurate? You report the BP came out of nowhere, screamed past your vehicle narrowly missing you and it was only due to your superior driving skills that avoided a deadly head-on collision; then you report they lit up your vehicle with a high- powered searchlight for ten minutes while you continued to consume your adult beverages. Hmmm, the facts you report makes you sound as completely unreliable and therefore unbelievable.
    Two different stories, both of which you failed to read thoroughly.

My having a beer on the riverfront after work in my non-moving automobile surely does not disqualify my account of a BP unit doing the EXACT job I would expect them to do. Run my plate, and get the f*** on.

And if you'd like to meet me so I can show you the damage done by the ICE unit, and talk with a witness to the crash, by all means, pm me.

Like I've got nothing better to do than make up shit about my dealings with the feds on an effin internet forum. Gimme a break gnome.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-17-12 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Two different stories, both of which you failed to read thoroughly.

My having a beer on the riverfront after work in my non-moving automobile surely does not disqualify my account of a BP unit doing the EXACT job I would expect them to do. Run my plate, and get the f*** on.

And if you'd like to meet me so I can show you the damage done by the ICE unit, and talk with a witness to the crash, by all means, pm me.

Like I've got nothing better to do than make up shit about my dealings with the feds on an effin internet forum. Gimme a break gnome.
    You sound upset. Tell you what, if you don't want your credulity questioned don't drink in your car. Mature people don't do such things and in most cities it is not considered acceptable behavior. Once you get that all straighten out, you'll be believed; until then you will be considered an unreliable narrator.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    You sound upset. Tell you what, if you don't want your credulity questioned don't drink in your car. Mature people don't do such things and in most cities it is not considered acceptable behavior. Once you get that all straighten out, you'll be believed; until then you will be considered an unreliable narrator.
    Right. Like anybody on this forum needs your validation to be perceived as credible. I'm not upset about what you think about my having a beer sitting in my non operating vehicle, listening to the radio, spending time with my mature friends and mature coworkers on the riverfront, considering that hundreds, and in the summer thousands of us Detroiters do the same thing every single day. Especially since our presence deters real criminals, and we pick up other people's garbage anywhere we decide to chill.

Your sense of morality is your problem, not mine or anyone else's. And if you don't like what our hardworking Detroiters consider acceptable, well, there's plenty of other cities where the people may better serve your sense of moral rightiousness.

While I'm at it, let me take this opportunity to put you on front street. Your attempt to bait me into some onerous bitchfest is lookin pretty obvious, so I'm not responding to you anymore on this thread. But just know, i'm on to you.

The topic at hand is about having the feds present in the City of Detroit. My experience is just one. I'm willing to bet there are hundreds of such stories, and if you contact Rashida's office, she'd be glad to tell you about some of them. There are news stories on the tube and in print as well.

Sorry Dyessers, for the BS.

Regardless if it's acceptable among "mature, hard-working Detroiters" it's illegal.
    A person shall not transport or possess alcoholic liquor in a container that is open or uncapped or upon which the seal is broken within the passenger compartment of a vehicle upon a highway or other place open to the general public or generally accessible to motor vehicles, including an area designated for the parking of vehicles, within this state.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    While I'm at it, let me take this opportunity to put you on front street. Your attempt to bait me into some onerous bitchfest is lookin pretty obvious, so I'm not responding to you anymore on this thread. But just know, i'm on to you.
    detroitsgwenivere!
    Name:  Hero-FarkTag-Large.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  9.9 KB

I wish "mature, hard-working Detroiters" would make better decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I wish "mature, hard-working Detroiters" would make better decisions.
    Mature, hard-working Detroiters are under a great deal of stress.

I'd much rather they diffuse some of that tension with a joint and a 40-ounce by the River, whether in a car or in a park, than let it build up until they have to go gunnin' for those like Gnome.

That may already have been the better decision...

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Regardless if it's acceptable among "mature, hard-working Detroiters" it's illegal.
    Yep, so's speeding. You throwin' rocks from a glass house, or do you not break any laws, ever?!

I'd cut folks havin' a cold one in their car some slack. Then again, that's why I'm not working for Homeland Insecurity.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Yep, so's speeding. You throwin' rocks from a glass house, or do you not break any laws, ever?!

I'd cut folks havin' a cold one in their car some slack. Then again, that's why I'm not working for Homeland Insecurity.

Cheers!
    If you're going to break the law, expect to get pulled over, searched and ticketed. If you don't want that stuff to happen, go home and drink.
    Do you think it's okay to drink and drive? If not, how do you propose one gets their car home after sitting in it, parked and drinking, without driving under the influence?
    Last edited by jcole; September-18-12 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    If you're going to break the law, expect to get pulled over, searched and ticketed. If you don't want that stuff to happen, go home and drink.
    Do you think it's okay to drink and drive? If not, how do you propose one gets their car home after sitting in it, parked and drinking, without driving under the influence?
    Good luck at HOME in that glass house.

I'm confused again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Good luck at HOME in that glass house.
    I don't drink, at home or anywhere else, and my home has normal walls, thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast