I watched the roof lights of a white squad care begin to flash as it turned onto Bagley from Grand Circus Park. A Mercedes pulled over near me and the officers got out, not Detroit Police but green-uniformed federal Border Patrol agents.

I have seen them loitering along the river front, riding bikes and in other locations, but pulling over a car in the middle of town? That was a first.

I made some calls and finally connected with an Agent Ramer, their PR officer. What was the jurisdiction of the officers, what could they stop someone for, and how far from the border could they operate, I asked.

His reply in essence was they can stop anyone anywhere, anytime. The following is the paraphrased conversation I had.

What is law on this, I asked.

Him: Section 287 of Immigration and Nationality Act allows them to do what they wish if they think there is ‘reasonable’ threat to public safety and within a ‘reasonable’ distance of the border.

Is failing to signal a lane change a reasonable threat to public safety, I asked.

Him: I can’t speak to a specific situation but the law allows them to act if they consider it a reasonable threat to public safety.

What is a reasonable distance from the border 5 miles? 2000 miles?

Him: I can't speak to the situation, but if they feel it is a reasonable distance they can take action.

So there is no set distance?

Him: Section 287 says a reasonable distance.

Everything is so reasonable!

Good, bad or ugly?