Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Any other race bombs?
    I don't think it is necessarily racial. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but I do shop at the Meijers in Warren and Roseville. I must disagree with Bham on this one; my inner-ring Caucasian kin folk wear only their finest pajamas whilst stocking up on Hungry Mans [[men?)

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I don't think it is necessarily racial. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but I do shop at the Meijers in Warren and Roseville. I must disagree with Bham on this one; my inner-ring Caucasian kin folk wear only their finest pajamas whilst stocking up on Hungry Mans [[men?)
    There are Walmart people in ALL Walmarts. It's the inter suburb thing that is suggestive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Any other race bombs?
    The Maple Road WalMart is overwhelmingly white, but thanks for stereotyping. Not many blacks in Troy or Royal Oak.

I have been chased by an elderly woman in a scooter, though. I've also been yelled at while trying to return something, and my Mom was insulted by one of the "greeters". I've had it with saving 6 cents on an item, and will just take the financial hit at Meijer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Maple Road WalMart is overwhelmingly white, but thanks for stereotyping. Not many blacks in Troy or Royal Oak.

I have been chased by an elderly woman in a scooter, though. I've also been yelled at while trying to return something, and my Mom was insulted by one of the "greeters". I've had it with saving 6 cents on an item, and will just take the financial hit at Meijer.
    Maybe this will help:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/

Quote Originally Posted by caspermi View Post
    Yep, I definitely think I've seen all these folks at WalMart.

Too much excitement for me. I'll stick to Meijer and Target.

I don't understand how these stores have such a different clientele, when they are basically across the street from WalMart, in most cases. WalMart makes you feel broke and desperate, and in serious need of a shower.

I worked at the Maple\Crooks Walmart for three years back in 2001-2004. I was a cart pusher\cashier for the first year, and worked in the photo lab for the remaining time.

I also worked at Hollywood Supermarket on Maple in Troy for a few months, and I worked at K-Mart on Maple\Livernois for 9 months.

Wal-Mart paid me the most by far and was also infinitely more flexible with my scheduling. Hollywood was the typical union atmosphere that had everyone doing the bare minimum of their job title and nothing else.

K-Mart expected me to work every weekend without exception. After working every Saturday and every Sunday for nine months I asked the store manager for the first weekend day off, and he told me, "Why do you think I hire you kids? No." I gave my two-weeks notice to him 15 minutes later.

As to the "clientele".

Hollywood Supermarket - Middle to upper-middle class folks. There was a much higher concentration of senior citizens.

K-Mart - A mixed bag. It was the closest store to headquarters at the time, and we got a lot of "corporate wives" demanding we take expired coupons and honor expired sales.

Wal-Mart - Another mixed bag. It seemed to have folks of a little bit lower income level than the other two stores, but it still had its fair share of middle class folks. We did have a lot of black customers, but nothing like what people seem to be hinting at, which is poor Detroiters taking "da bus". The black customers there were just as normal as all the other folks, some were probably from Detroit, but must probably lived in the surrounding neighborhoods. We did get a fair share of crazy people, but they were of all colors.

As to the 12\Van Dyke store, being so close to Detroit it will probably see a high number of folks from Detroit wanting to save money at the place that's famous for low prices via efficiency and technology.

I won't be shopping at Wal-Mart because I don't like what they did at the Tech Center, and because it is a rougher crowd [[all races). The stores aren't as clean as Meijer. Also the Meijer at 12\Mound is a mile closer to my house than 12\Van Dyke.

For those that are worried about treatment of workers at Wal-Mart, I never experienced any of those concerns. I was well paid. I got profit-sharing. I was given multiple opportunities for advancement. I was given an adequate amount of vacation time. Wal-Mart also scheduled completely around my college classes. They actually inputted my college schedule into the computer and only gave my shifts that didn't conflict. I left Wal-Mart to get into a technology position with a school district and took a dollar an hour pay-cut to do more skilled work.

[/Rambling]

I've had it with saving 6 cents on an item, and will just take the financial hit at Meijer.
    I don't remember who did the study - consumer reports I think - but overall Target has the best prices of any of the national big box chains. Walmart might have a better price on ketchup or paper towels, but overall, Target is cheaper for buying most staples.

Nothing comes close to Costco, though. $10 for all the paper towels we need for a year. Need to have a big pantry, though.

Quote Originally Posted by caspermi View Post
    LOL! That site cracks me up but I have NEVER seen people like that at Walmart! Maybe I'm not looking at people, but I only shop at the Garfield/Hall Road Walmart, or I'll drive out to Chesterfield [[23 mile).

I really do not like Walmart. I shop at Meijers.

Walmart is too messy and clothing really stinks. But there are few food items they have that are compelling. I just go in fast with dark shades on once in a while and hope no one sees me....

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    LOL! That site cracks me up but I have NEVER seen people like that at Walmart! Maybe I'm not looking at people, but I only shop at the Garfield/Hall Road Walmart, or I'll drive out to Chesterfield [[23 mile).
    That would be ROMEO PLANK/Hall Road.

I'm curious to see how this will work. I never quite understood a business having locations so close to one another. For example, the 7/11 on Crooks & Big Beaver, which if you stand in their parking lot, you can see the other 7/11 on the opposite side of Crooks north of Maple.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I'm curious to see how this will work. I never quite understood a business having locations so close to one another. For example, the 7/11 on Crooks & Big Beaver, which if you stand in their parking lot, you can see the other 7/11 on the opposite side of Crooks north of Maple.
    Whatever happened with the dual Kroger stores in Dearborn [[one store was an old Farmer Jack that Kroger acquired)?

Yeah at a point there were four Krogers on Michigan Avenue! There's just the one at Greenfield and Michi now, the one that was a Scheafer and Michigan is now another store. The two near Telegraph are still there... almost across from one another. How weird is that?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Whatever happened with the dual Kroger stores in Dearborn [[one store was an old Farmer Jack that Kroger acquired)?

hmm.. so the Old Country Buffet, the video game store, [[and the ladies clothing outlet) won't be the only stores left now.. curious.. still seems like quite a bit of overlap if a renovated Wal-Mart returns [[I'm thinking of the two Krogers less than a block from each other in Dearborn, but none in detroit anymore).. but anyway...

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hmm.. so the Old Country Buffet, the video game store, [[and the ladies clothing outlet) won't be the only stores left now.. curious.. still seems like quite a bit of overlap if a renovated Wal-Mart returns [[I'm thinking of the two Krogers less than a block from each other in Dearborn, but none in detroit anymore).. but anyway...
    The shopping center will become more attractive to smaller businesses since there won't be a vacant anchor tennant. All the stores flocked to 14 and Van Dyke to be next to Walmart. It wasn't empty when Walmart was there previously. Good chance a Sam's club could open there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Those two 7/11's have been there a long time, I'm thinking 40 years or close to it. All they need is booze, beer, smokes and a lotto machine. I wouldn't worry about them, I'm sure they're doing fine, in spite of what the economy is like.

Shollin Guest

There's literally Subway's like every other block. At 16 and Van Dyke, they built one on the corner, plus one in Meijer across the street, plus one in the shopping center by Office Max

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The biggest sore-spot is the Butterfly, which is just south of 14...that place is a shit-hole...seems to have always attracted a rough crowd for as long as I can remember. However, that site may become a Menards if I am not mistaken. That strip of Van Dyke has a lot of potential, if the panning is done right.
    I LOVED the Butterfly!I have also heard the Menards rumor...seems like a good idea

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2