Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One step forward. Two steps back. Cap and trade has given China an economic advantage in producing anything involving the uses of energy including the manufacturing of wind generators and solar panels. Perhaps China will be kind enough to continue lending money to us so we can buy them and bill the debts to our grandchildren. I calculated the cost of my electricity based on the anticipated tax on carbon derived from coal, the percentage of coal that my utility uses, and the percentage of my present electric bill that is attributable to fuel. It worked out to about a $44/month increase to pay for the amount of electricity I now purchase. That doesn't include cap and trade taxes on gasoline or as hidden in the cost of production in US made products. $44 x 12 months = $528/year more for electricity.

Rep. Kilpatrick talks about the cost of a postage stamp every day but that is a highly optimistic talking point and does not even consider that most Michigan electricity is derived from coal, 80% in the case of DTE. If she doesn't understand that, she should be an embarrassment to those who elected her.

This albatross still has to go to the Senate.

Rep. Waxman ,who sponsored this pork barrel, has been a very busy boy lately. He is also sponsoring a bill requiring federal licensing and FDA oversight over family gardens if anything is sold from them http://www.ftcldf.org/news/news-HR2749-FAQ.htm Unlicensed gardening could become a criminal activity in Obama's control economy.

Didn't the proponents of this bill tell us about how this bill would create energy jobs and energy independence? Bloomberg is suggesting that 1 of every six US refineries will close because of this bill as oil companies buy more refined products from countries that are exempt from the Obama Cap and Trade tax. One industry spokesman claimed that Cap and Trade will add 77 cents to the price of a gallon of gas.

Big Oil’s Answer to Carbon Law May Be Fuel Imports

June 26 [[Bloomberg) -- America’s biggest oil companies will probably cope with U.S. carbon legislation by closing fuel plants, cutting capital spending and increasing imports.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=avLVPogS6lh0

ccbatson Guest

The wake up call starts to have some effect now. Do even liberals not see through the lies/manipulations of Obama and the left in Washington now? Create jobs [[a few thousand artificial ones maybe) paid for with hundreds of thousands of real jobs in a real industry.

Thats what they said.

Conyers said, "All together, this legislation will create 1.7 million new jobs, 53,816 of which will be located in my home State of Michigan." and "A vote for this bill is a vote for jobs at home."

Kilpatrick said, "This bill means more than 1.7 million jobs for our nation, 54,000 for the State of Michigan and 23,000 jobs for the City of Detroit." and "This bill represents the largest investment in jobs by our government since the Great Depression."

I really really really hope this investment comes out differently than the one she's referencing. That investment held us in double digit unemployment until our peaceful negotiations with the enemy lead us into an expensive war. Lake Orion and Wixom can be used for war production, but I don't want to see even a tenth as many Americans die in Iran or Korea as we had die in World War II. I'm still waiting on the jobs from Jenny's overseas trips, the auto bailout, and the stimulus. Boy, when all these jobs come through, I'll have to take two good paying full time jobs just to justify the expenditures or at least to provide the revenue for them. As the work horse in Animal Farm used to say whenever the pigs came up with a new plan, "I'll work harder".

ccbatson Guest

Oh..John Conyers is predicting 1.7 million jobs is he? Well, if his track record is any indication, take whatever he says and reverse it....1.7 million lost..a little conservative based on the numbers I have seen, but not far off [[2.5 PER YEAR is the conservative estimate).

Since Cap and Trade is such a good job provider, just where are the other jobs that were promised under the federal stimulus package passed earlier this year?

ccbatson Guest

It is called a liberal lie MCP-001.

4real Guest

Waxman = worthless lying maggot.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/LAPTOP/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    He is a Gross Polluter, exhaling his hot Co2 Bad breath.
    How he lied to get this through is amazing.
    The Lobbyists are licking their chops over this one.

Are you able to write a paragraph w/o insulting someone? If your position is solid, that kind of childish writing is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 4real View Post
    Waxman = worthless lying maggot.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/LAPTOP/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    He is a Gross Polluter, exhaling his hot Co2 Bad breath.
    How he lied to get this through is amazing.
    The Lobbyists are licking their chops over this one.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hou...and-trade-bill
    "...But climate-change is the most contentious part of the bill, and many Republicans and some Democrats say the bill would amount to a tax on consumers and businesses and even drive businesses overseas..."

You mean after the neocons' tax credit for outsourcing we still have businesses that haven't been driven---chauffeured---overseas?

http://techpolicy.typepad.com/tpp/20...eaks_for_.html

ccbatson Guest

Yes Maxx, this tax bill will push businesses away fast.

Here's a little something new. I would like to see this story verified elsewhere. According to this article,cap and trade will require energy audits of one's house with mandatory repairs done by authorized crews.

Bureaucrats Will Carry Out Mandatory Home Inspections Under Climate Bill
    "The controversial climate bill that is set to be taken up by the Senate on Monday after its passage in the House will legislate home inspections by government regulators who will demand to audit every aspect of your property under the threat of substantial and repeated fines if their visits are denied or their demands not satisfied."
    Last edited by oladub; July-03-09 at 12:57 AM. Reason: accoring>according

I read that section of the bill and that's not my legal interpretation. New building codes generally grandfather older structures so a 1980 structure is always required to make 1980 code, but rarely required to make 2009 code though the improved sections, such as a kitchen remodel or room addition, do have to make the newest code. However, it certainly declares that the Feds plan to get much more involved in local building code and add alot of stricter requirements. This will add to the cost of building construction. I'm sure that Feds sticking their hands in local ordinances will cause a Tenth Amendment challenge on the grounds of states rights and we'll see then.

I suppose the quoted section is a cynical, but accurate way, to describe new home inspections today.

mjs, Thanks for the read and opinion. From the linked page; the federal government will pay for 30% of certain required home upgrades. This will be tough on people who don't have the money for the balance. I suppose if home owners can be forced to upgrade their houses, it will create some jobs. The government is going to shake all the loose change out of us before this is over.

Could the 4th Amendment also be brought into play?

ccbatson Guest

Sigh..who is paying 30%? The government? With what? Who's productive efforts and money will be stolen for this? It can't be the government denovo, they produce nothing.

If an individual is challenging the law on the Tenth Amendment, they could add the Fourth, but I doubt it would work. The Fourth is more about being protected from invasion of privacy and being free from undue duress such as torture. It also seems a case more likely brought by a state and a state can challenge under the Tenth like North Dakota did for being coerced into a 21 year-old drinking law or some other state did for having to run background checks under the Brady Bill. I assume it wouldn't really be done as a Federal building code, but rather done as a coercive measure to force changes to state building codes like they did with the 21 year-old drinking limits and .08 BAC laws.

Its a major reason that a larger federal government can be bad. Its bad to give money to the Feds to give to the states because it allows the Feds too much improper power over the states.

It helps to realize that most Federal authority comes from the extremely broad power to regulate commerce and spend as they feel fit. Most state authority comes from protecting the public's safety and welfare and continuing to do what they have traditionally done. For example, State's have traditionally controlled marriage and divorce so its hard for the Feds to interfere with how the states treat gay marriage.
    Last edited by mjs; July-03-09 at 11:49 PM.

Confirmed. The story about manditory housing inspections and repairs being part of the cap and trade bill are getting closer to being reported by the MSM.

Democrats’ Cap-and-Trade Bill Creates ‘Retrofit’ Policy for Homes and Businesses
    "homeowners, for example, could be required to retrofit their homes to meet federal “green” guidelines in order to sell their homes, if the cap-and-trade bill becomes law. "
    "the government will even pay up to 50 percent of the cost of a retrofit through financial awards to individual home and building owners."

Inspectors crawling around in our attics looking for projests and whatever, loans from utility companies, qualified auditors, raters, contractors, and providers of services related to retrofits." Over 50% is coming out of homeowners' piggybanks but where is the money for the government part of this money coming from?

Are home inspections as currently conducted, and even appraisals for that matter, unnecessary in general?

ccbatson Guest

Of course not, that isn't the point..."Mandatory" is the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2