Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

After the 1 million plus renovation...I think it's a fairly decent grocery store---I still prefer the Meijer at 12/mound, but I stop at the Kroger for quick stops.

..so when redevelopment doesn't happen.. "detroit is in shambles.. nobody wants to invest.. why do people even live here?"

but when redevelpment starts to come together: "detroit is in shambles.. nobody's going to want to shop there.. why do people even live here?"

curious...

For all of you naysayers out there...you must realize that the Home Depot on 7mile in Detroit is the most profitable in the Midwest! These Detroiters [[aka Black People) are not as poor as you think. Alot of people in the Northwest part of the city live more luxuriously than their counterparts in neighboring Ferndale. Therefore I believe these stores will do great, just as the Target at Northland is doing great. No matter what time of day you go, the Target at Northland stays packed! The Citizens of Detroit deserve major retail in close proximity to their homes just like the citizens of the suburbs.

Also, I checked the stats of the area and both the income and density levels fulfill all the requirements for most major franchises such as TGIF Fridays...etc....Our money is just as green as everyone elses....Food For Thought.

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    For all of you naysayers out there...you must realize that the Home Depot on 7mile in Detroit is the most profitable in the Midwest! These Detroiters [[aka Black People) are not as poor as you think. Alot of people in the Northwest part of the city live more luxuriously than their counterparts in neighboring Ferndale. Therefore I believe these stores will do great, just as the Target at Northland is doing great. No matter what time of day you go, the Target at Northland stays packed! The Citizens of Detroit deserve major retail in close proximity to their homes just like the citizens of the suburbs.

Also, I checked the stats of the area and both the income and density levels fulfill all the requirements for most major franchises such as TGIF Fridays...etc....Our money is just as green as everyone elses....Food For Thought.
    It isn't a question of what people deserve, it is a question of what they can and will actually support. I love having the Home Depot on 7 Mile and I buy a lot of stuff there, but it will take considerably more shoppers, diners, and moviegoers to support 850,000 square feet of new businesses. Obviously, the proponents think those customers are out there, but until there is an example of retail on this scale being successful in the city, I can understand why some people may be skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    It isn't a question of what people deserve, it is a question of what they can and will actually support. I love having the Home Depot on 7 Mile and I buy a lot of stuff there, but it will take considerably more shoppers, diners, and moviegoers to support 850,000 square feet of new businesses. Obviously, the proponents think those customers are out there, but until there is an example of retail on this scale being successful in the city, I can understand why some people may be skeptical.
    I understand the fear of charting abandoned markets, but the thing is that the majority of the people in this area are shopping at these stores anyways. I guarantee you the when this Meijer is completed, the other area locations will suffer noticeably from the withdrawl of the Detroit dollar.

As far as people's support, I believe it will be overwhelming. I've noticed constant patronization of new establishments on Livernois. 1917 Bistro and the new/rebuilt Nona's Sherwood Grill keep a constant rotation of dine-in customers. The tide is changing, gas is $4 and people are desiring to shop and play in their own neighborhoods. A excellent example of this is the Save-a-Lot on 9mile in Ferndale. I've noticed over the last few years that the number of Detroiters shopping there have greatly reduced, while the Detroit stores such as Sav-on, Liberty Foods, and Mike's Market are flourishing. I believe Sav-a-Lot is on its last limb now. Furthermore, the Kroger on 8mile and Wyoming is almost completely funded by Detroit Residents and they are not lacking business at all.

As far as moviegoers, Black people go to the movies, especially when the movies are catered to them. Case in point: Red Tails and the Tyler Perry Franchise. Majic Johnson Theaters caters specifically to an African American audience. His brand was built on theaters in African American neighborhoods that traditional theaters and other retail chains ignored. He is well aware of the untapped potential that Black neighborhoods possess. This is a niche market and niche markets usually make major bucks, when the niche is filled. Just ask Tyler Perry.

I would go as it would be a good option in addition to the shopping I do in Royal Oak/ Ferndale, etc.

Thank you for that food D...

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post

I hear that but shrink is a problem even at Sommerset...

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    The merchandise would definitely move off the shelves, I see a lot of theft accruing, they better have security guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Thank you for that food D...
    You are very welcome Zacha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2