Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
Job performance IS a factor now. Seniority is out the window. I am evaluated on my classroom teaching as well as student test scores, my attendance, and a host of other things. If I am not "highly effective or effective" in all areas, I am out of a job. It's only fair, though. Those who are doing their jobs are rewarded with keeping their job, those that aren't are let go, just like in the real world. I've never been an advocate of seniority for the sake of keeping a job.

It was MY money, as I worked for it and was promised a salary as compensation. It was in my paycheck and then it was deducted from my paycheck. The union had nothing to do with it since the EM could do as he pleased. Sort of like a normal person going to work and their boss giving them a paycheck with a deduction to help pay a deficit that person had no part in creating [[and finding out a former boss had embezzeled monies from the company to help create the debt). It's actually a deduction on my check! I would say that is pretty much MY money and not taxpayer money...as the taxpayers are paying money to the district and the district pays me. It's money I EARNED [[and believe me, I earn every cent I make).
DT -- Help me understand --
1) Does the DFT favor using job performance as a criteria in pay, or were they dragged kicking and screaming to the current status. I've heard Weinstein and Co. scream loudly against pay for performance -- and pay lip service to the idea that there's a problem. I do hope the Union is opening the door to some job performance measurement, with reasonable protections for teachers.

2) I'm certain that you earn your money -- but nonetheless, the money comes from taxes paid by citizens -- with a little bake sale funds tossed in here and there. But as a result, your salary is 100% paid by taxpayers. Every dollar you get paid comes out of the pockets of someone. Even if the feds print the money and give it to the school district, this is a dilution of taxpayer wealth.

Can you provide any background on the mechanics of how this is 'deducted' from gross pay on your check? I wonder why its being done that way. Perhaps this allows the world to recognize the 'fair value' of teachers, so when the crisis is over its easier to 'stop the deduction' than it would be to 'increase pay' back to 'fair' levels? In that case, the deduction method is a very smart way to get teachers pay back up when economics permit it.

Thanks again for your hard work. Education is a critical social contribution to our future. I do appreciate your posts -- even where I disagree. Well, that's the value of this forum. A chance to understand the opinions of others.