Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    Booze on the Rouge is gone too
    thankfully Gonella's is still up & running
    Are Gonella's and Giovanni's going to be closing or [[hopefully) moving? Seems strange for them to stay in that 'neighborhood' with the neighborhood itself having been replaced by a mammoth noisy stinky refinery.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Are Gonella's and Giovanni's going to be closing or [[hopefully) moving? Seems strange for them to stay in that 'neighborhood' with the neighborhood itself having been replaced by a mammoth noisy stinky refinery.
    I could see Giovanni's, moving, MAYBE, but Gonella's? They're custom made for a factory lunch crowd. Same with that party store on Dix & Oakwood. I think they'll probably do well with the new workers in the 'hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I could see Giovanni's, moving, MAYBE, but Gonella's? They're custom made for a factory lunch crowd. Same with that party store on Dix & Oakwood. I think they'll probably do well with the new workers in the 'hood.
    Giovanni's stayed put even after suffering two devastating fires in recent years, so I wouldn't be too sure this would cause them to move now either. I would guess most of their business comes from folks far removed from the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Giovanni's stayed put even after suffering two devastating fires in recent years, so I wouldn't be too sure this would cause them to move now either. I would guess most of their business comes from folks far removed from the neighborhood.
    I had dinner there last November and the place was absolutely packed! And you're right, no one there that day looked like they were from the local neighborhood.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-15-13 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that Giovanni's moves. The owner, a very nice older lady, expressed annoyance to me that they're never written up in all the gushy articles about Detroit, never included in restaurant week, and never really get much credit from anybody since they're not downtown. I sure can empathize with her, given that according to the media and everybody else - the City especially - Midtown and downtown are the only places in Detroit that matter. The rest of us are just poor benighted fucks living in the "neighborhoods." She's also not a minority business-owner so frankly I doubt the City will care much to retain her like in the way they fell all over themselves to create "Paradise Valley" or rename presidential streets after music producers who skipped town.

She expressed interest in Brighton, I think. I'm not entirely sure what or where that is, or who would want to be out there besides farmers or deer, but I can't say I blame her.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that Giovanni's moves. The owner, a very nice older lady, expressed annoyance to me that they're never written up in all the gushy articles about Detroit, never included in restaurant week, and never really get much credit from anybody since they're not downtown. I sure can empathize with her, given that according to the media and everybody else - the City especially - Midtown and downtown are the only places in Detroit that matter. The rest of us are just poor benighted fucks living in the "neighborhoods." She's also not a minority business-owner so frankly I doubt the City will care much to retain her like in the way they fell all over themselves to create "Paradise Valley" or rename presidential streets after music producers who skipped town.

She expressed interest in Brighton, I think. I'm not entirely sure what or where that is, or who would want to be out there besides farmers or deer, but I can't say I blame her.

Good I am not in midtown right now, I would piss myself laffing. Thanks!