Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Frankly, I've never understood why they didn't have tons of housing on Campus. What you describe is the niche local community colleges, satellite [[um dearborn/flint Oakland U), and to some extent the compass colleges should be filing. WSU with it's location, size, funding, and graduate programs should be a tier one state school....not a majority commuter school for part-time students. That "thing that set them apart" as you put it, set them way apart reputation-wise as well.

I'm not saying "working class" or "urban" kids shouldn't go to Wayne, I'm saying that there is a tiered system that is supposedly set up to accommodate them. Want value for tuition dollar? Get pre-reqs or remedial classes done at the local CC and THEN go to Wayne...or MSU...or UM...etc.
What about working class folks who want to go beyond Associates Degrees? It seems to me you are talking from two sides here. You are saying it is good to save money by going to a junior college [[which I agree with), but the culture of Wayne needs to change leaving its traditional base [[working class just out of high school or extended education for older adults) in the dust in favor of being a cookie cutter university. I went to Wayne and found the diversity in ages and socio-economic backgrounds one of its biggest strengths. I also went to Hank's on the Highway and WC3 prior to WSU to do exactly what you outlined. All I said was I would hate to see that culture replaced.