Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Django, thank you for the martini! The Dally was fun. I always enjoy it, and running into old and new friends.
    Peace to all...

Was great to meet Bobl, Spirit, and especially and finally Mauser and Bruce Griffin as Ive always wanted to shake hands with them as the most fantastic Detroit photographers they are. Im not sure if Bruce has a screenname on Dyes but Im sure you have all seen his work.
    Gannon and his hottie also stopped by for a visit at the martini couch and of course was as gracious as always. I want to apologize to G for not giving him the time a true friend deserves.

The Dally has made some changes over the past few years. The old crew who started the Dally 35 years ago have slowly turned it over to the young Cass Corridorites [[fuck a midtown). Its been an amazingly smooth transition. I personally would like to thank the original crew such as Alain Shurgis[[sp), Betty Huster and my personal favorite Anne Kennedy. These are the folks I know best and Im sorry to not menton more such as Felix as my memory is shot due to Dally beer provided by MCBrew [[Thank you John)
    The new crew has amped up bringing in many new voulenteers, slimmed down the loose givings of t shirts and beer to my horror and generally made the Dally as great as ever.
    After 35 years of Dally Id like to think its as grand as ever.

I hope you can all make it next year.

Dally On 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Gannon and his hottie also stopped by for a visit at the martini couch and of course was as gracious as always. I want to apologize to G for not giving him the time a true friend deserves.
    Come on, Django...thought you knew me better than that...dude, we see each other whenever we want to, while some only are in town for the festival and other events. No worries whatsoever, plus we WERE planning on returning.

Unfortunately, gone are the days where I can flit through five social engagements in a Saturday. We made three of 'em, and fell immediately to sleep when we got home. At 9:30.

But that is what happens to old people when we start the party at noon. That martini was the perfect beginning, and sharing a toast with the ever-elusive Mauser made it even better. I am still laughing that today was when we finally met. Good to have you tangible, M.

We caught the ending of the Zydeco band...that was a bunch of fun. Got to see Erich shred a solo, Wailin' Dave wail, and Perez stroke that washboard. Big fun.

Caught another band on the Garden Stage, gotta look 'em up. A pop-synth band, the lead was liquid sensuality...although she over-processed her voice a bit...she had the goods. Her keyboardist/programmer kept up his half, and they created some melodic entrancements that we enjoyed.

I was VERY impressed at how the sound people setup the DJ stage...aiming the speakers from the four corners of the dance floor into the middle was simply smart. It makes for a great focus of energy exactly where it is needed to help move the dancers, without sending excessive noise into the neighborhood. Sure, the lower frequencies are not directional and radiate everywhere, but with this array the overall SPL can be lower without reducing the dancers engagement and pleasure.

The Dally had a wonderful feel to it this afternoon. My favorite moment, though, was when they gave Patience the bullhorn. That is a meme-torque if there ever was one. Patience with a bullhorn. Plus, she's got the toe-shoes I've been searching out for years. If she was the right size, she'd be in trouble, LOL!

The Dally is in capable hands, it seems. Long live the Dally.

[[On our way past the Alley stage at about 4:30...was the fellow who called me out as 'Hey Hippy' one of us, or did he mistake me for someone else? Sorry if I didn't recognize ya, either way, if you know me.)

Cheers,
    John

OH, and Dre...man...sorry we didn't get back with ya. My honey noticed the text and told me to text back while we were driving home from Farmington Hills...but I forgot once we were safe and sound. I owe you one. She tried.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; September-09-12 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    ... Unfortunately, gone are the days where I can flit through five social engagements in a Saturday. We made three of 'em, and fell immediately to sleep when we got home. At 9:30. ...
    And I thought we would find you, as you mentioned, halfway between the Alley and Garden stages around 9pm! Sorry we missed you and your lady!!!

Dave and I arrived shortly thereafter...managed to say Hi to Django before catching the last song by Loretta Lucas [[must have been a very short set...30 minutes at most)...then wandered over to the Forest Stage for Tunde Olaniran...he and his two showgirls are quite an act, and the music is pretty interesting. As we continued to walk around, ran into several current and former Gale colleagues....always nice to see them outside of the office...and to catch up with!!! We hung around for the last act of the night...Third Coast Kings...a terrific way to cap off the day for us!

Gannon, No problems!! I taped a couple bands and went to Smalls to see Kenny Tudrick and say Hi to fellow Dyesser Melody. We'll get together soon, I owe you, yanno!

Stromberg2

Note to the City Of Detroit:

Your parking enforcement team may have raised a few dollars patrolling up and down Second and Third Streets during the Dally In The Alley yesterday, but shouldn't you instead be looking for ways to ENCOURAGE business activity in your/our town?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Note to the City Of Detroit:

Your parking enforcement team may have raised a few dollars patrolling up and down Second and Third Streets during the Dally In The Alley yesterday, but shouldn't you instead be looking for ways to ENCOURAGE business activity in your/our town?
    We noticed that too...as we looked for a parking spot around 9pm. We ended up on Hancock between Woodward and John R, in a legal spot, and put money in the meeting to cover us til 10pm. Most of the cars along that stretch had parking tickets, probably because they either didn't pay at all, or overstayed the 2-hour parking limit. Seems they could have relaxed the rules a bit given how much goodwill they could spread with so many people in attendance.

When I went back to put more quarters in our meter, I saw one Wayne State officer actually warning those on 3rd who were parking illegally. I thought that was pretty cool, he was one block ahead of the City Vulture.

They had a flatbed rolling around, too.

Don't know if anyone got towed...but it was lurking.

Must've smelled the money.

Dave and Kathleen, was great seeing you too. Totally forgot. The martinis had already set in by the time I saw you.

Is there anyone here living in that area. Did we do a decent job of cleaning up. Anyone have any issues? If so I can bring them up next year at the meetings.

The sheriff picked-up dozens of folks in a blind pig raid. Was that Blind Pig part of The Dally after party, or was it just your average Detroit hours joint?

Oops, I got the facts all confuzzled. The Blind Pig raid was on Baltimore near Woodward in the New Center.

Seems like a dumb location since the cop station is two blocks away at Grand and Woodward. Although I do think it is telling it was Wayne County Sheriff who conducted the raid.

Sorry for the thread jack.

They've been on some special hunting mission, it must be time for another Sheriff election or some shit...and he's betting the folks he busts don't vote.

Law und Order!

I would be surprised if they were related...the Dally folk I know are totally against prostitution in all its forms. Especially corporate and governmental, and I've never seen pros working the Dally. As if I could spot a hooker, heh.

Cheers!

I had a fun time at the Dally as always. Django, thanks for the offer on the martini but the Ghettoblasters were going down to good. I'm so glad the Dally has stayed non-commercial for the most part. I still really miss the 4th Street Fair.

Downriviera, sorry, I forgot to mention that we also met at the Dally.
    Yeah the loss of the 4th st fair was a major loss to Detroit, I couldnt agree more. I dont really know the details of why the fair ended but Ive heard a few theories. One was infighting the other was KKs administration wanting to "tax" the shit out of the fair. Not sure what the deal was but what a huge loss.

Ive only been around to experience the Dally for less than half of its 35 year life, I was about 7 when it started 35 years ago. The folks who somehow kept it going really deserve a thanks. My friend Sharon showed up to have a martini on the couch sported the first Dally t shirt. Not sure what year they started making shirts but was very cool. Someone else stopped by the couch who had only missed 3 Dallys out of 35.

Anyway Downriviera, was great meeting you.

Gannon, where did Gnome mention prostitution in the blind pig raid? I believe we both may actually know one of the owners of that pig on woodward.

OK, just made a call and yes, we know the owner LOL. Great guy actually. I would hardly call it prostitution though, more of a club for ppl who enjoy sex. Sounds like trumped up charges. Waste of police resources if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Gannon, where did Gnome mention prostitution in the blind pig raid? I believe we both may actually know one of the owners of that pig on woodward.

OK, just made a call and yes, we know the owner LOL. Great guy actually. I would hardly call it prostitution though, more of a club for ppl who enjoy sex. Sounds like trumped up charges. Waste of police resources if you ask me.

Gnome didn't claim it, I had already read the story!

It WAS nice that they provided shower facilities. I was going to make a joke about that, but refrained. Hippy Hygeine and all that.

Too odd that we know the owner, huh? I am happy to have been out of the loop on this one!

Cheers

Gannon, Downriviera, Kathleen, and others: Sorry I missed the chance to meet you at the Dally, and at the Martini Couch. Kathleen, we have met. Gannon and Downriviera, after reading many of your posts, I believe it is not likely that we have not met. It would be good to match the faces with the names!
    Django, once again, thank you for the conversation and martini. I love olives.
    Peace, to all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2