Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Why is the Michigan Green Party opposing Rashida Tlaib?

I am puzzled by the decision of the Michigan Green Party to run a candidate against State Rep Rashida Tlaib who is one of the most progressive members of a conservative legislature and whose politics seem closely aligned with the MI-GP platform.

For the record I generally support the Greens and have voted for their candidates numerous times from the top of the ballot on down.

I am also puzzled by the candidate – Elena Herrada – chosen by the MI-GP. Herrada is circulating an 'open letter' that states in part “The issue of identity is important and i take it very personnally”. She emphasizes her identity concerns through repetition and notes that Tlaib's victory four years ago was “a deep disappointment to me and many others”.

Herrada also says “I am not running against any candidate; I am running for democratic principals and the right to representation” a lofty sounding phrase that defies comprehension. If your name is on the ballot you are running against someone.

Four years ago Herrada gave interviews saying Tlaib “is not one of us”. One of us could mean working class, grew up in the district, serves the district, and has progressive politics – but that would include Tlaib. “One of us” is apparently religious and ethnic -- Irish and Catholic and Mexican -- and seems to be in opposition to the MI-GP platform on diversity.

The 6th District MI-GP is not the same GP I voted for in 1996 and 2000 when I voted for Ralph Nader and Winona LaDuke. Neither Nader [[an Arabic speaking son of Lebanese immigrants) nor LaDuke [[a member of the Ojibwe tribe) meet the “one of us” standard of the 6th District

Can anyone explain why the Michigan Green Party chose to oppose Tlaib & how and why it chose Herrada?
    Last edited by wobbly; August-19-12 at 09:03 PM.