The Board recently hired self-described academic and activist John Telford as Interim Superintendent. Telford promised this for Detroit schools in his first address to the Board [[note re-introduction of ebonics and anecdotal instruction in English and social studies modules):

I will begin to establish my plan for the Detroit Public Schools' long-overdue reformation. This plan will include the who/what/when/why and how components of accomplishing it, and it will include the recruitment of retired educators and educational administrators like me and practitioners of other professions [[e.g., Business and Law), plus several community activists, to come in voluntarily and work pro bono.
*The re-institution of fair collective bargaining for all bargaining groups. Relatedly, this will include paying earned sick days to union retirees who didn't get them, and it will include as well the affording of appropriate remuneration to those DPS staff who are on long-term disability.
*The re-institution of Ebonics-anecdotal instruction in the English and Social Studies curricula and the re-emphasis of Afro-centered instruction in those curricula.
*The preparation of a plan to go to court to get the fifteen un-Constitutionally hijacked schools back into the DPS fold.

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/w...#ixzz23jvdAP4r