Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    Now we need to increase the DPD to keep up with the donuts.

Oh, if Horton's keeps up with the donuts, I'm sure we'll see many of the DPD increase.

I would rather see Tim Horton's or another donut/coffee shop on around Detroit than another liquor store, boob bar, or coney island. Coleman must make sure that his employees are properly trained, and stores are fully stock at all times. The one downtown is ok but closes at 6pm when it should close at 9pm. That store is sometimes understock

There are a lack of Tim's on my way downtown from Farmington. Wyoming/Fenkell seems like a potentially good place to stop if the wait is not too long.

Interesting fast food sidenote that the dual Long John Silver's opened a few years ago have closed.

Yum! Brands, which was the spin off from Pepsi of KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, bought Hot and Now [[a Michigan company) about a decade ago to "get experience in double drive thrus" [[like Checkers). After a few years it spun Hot and Now back to management, where it essentially became a dead chain very quickly.

This was done to support the dual franchise under one roof model as well. Even 15 years ago, there were KFC/Taco Bells and other permutations in Detroit [[like @ 75 & Fort and 75 just north of E. Grand Blvd).

Around 2007, Yum! Bought A&W/Long John Silvers up to add burgers and fish as potential double offerings. A&W had been headquartered in Farmington Hills for a few years, but had been bought by Long John's a couple of years earlier.

One of the first Long John's/A&Ws was put in Detroit after they knocked down the NorWest Theater by Fenkell and Southfield to make room for it.

At Seven and Evergreen, they did the Long John's/KFC. There were others, like an A&W/KFC in Fowlerville.

Recently Yum! decided to dump A&W and Long Johns. This may have been part of why the combo shops in Detroit are now closed, a lack of corporate support to an abandoned idea. If these locations were marginal or worse, they would be closed and sold off, as appears to have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post

For those of you not familiar, Tim Horton was 18 year stand-out defenceman for the Toronto Maple Leafs...
    Canadian spell check. Haha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    That is true but one in lafayette park could be a unique one that rely on foot traffic especially from those who are going to work downtown or the two schools, one which is next door, the other across St Aubin, and King High School. The foot traffic and sit ins would make up for the lack of a drive thru
    Stasu, if this is such a prime location, why did Paris Cafe close? A franchised place is even mroe problematic, in that the extra expense of franchise fees means it will have to generate even more business. Perhaps an independent could pick up where Paris left off, but I doubt the location fits Tim Horton's profile.

I have my own "wish list" of businesses and services I would like to see in the city, but the bottom line will always be the bottom line.

Putting a Tim Hortons in the middle a Black Detroit Northwest Side ghetto is a great ideal. It would lure cops for their coffee break and thus keeping street crime down.

neat.. now hopefully there will be more doughnut options locally..

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Stasu, if this is such a prime location, why did Paris Cafe close? A franchised place is even mroe problematic, in that the extra expense of franchise fees means it will have to generate even more business. Perhaps an independent could pick up where Paris left off, but I doubt the location fits Tim Horton's profile.

I have my own "wish list" of businesses and services I would like to see in the city, but the bottom line will always be the bottom line.
    There's something to be said for name recognition, though. At least two suburbanites in this thread have expressed interest in a TH in that location, and if someone's heading downtown for a something and wants a coffee, they can search for coffee on the smartphone, know what Tim Hortons is, and stop. Hell, if there were one there, I'd hit it on my way to my internship on the East side.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    One just opened next to Aldi in Highland Park.
    And I happened to get a photo of that particular TH:

Name:  HP_Hortons.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  22.6 KB

I took that while trying to find the Sanders plant on Oakman. I forgot where the plant was and ended up driving through areas of Detroit near HP's western border! [[at one point I even went on to the Lodge southbound from the Davison, got off at Elmhurst Street thinking it would take me into HP, but I ended up heading west [[which was the only way the exit went) and then turned onto Woodrow Wilson and eventually back onto the Davison)
    Last edited by mtburb; August-17-12 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would rather see Tim Horton's or another donut/coffee shop on around Detroit than another liquor store, boob bar, or coney island. Coleman must make sure that his employees are properly trained, and stores are fully stock at all times. The one downtown is ok but closes at 6pm when it should close at 9pm. That store is sometimes understock
    Here here ! I agree , Even though I'm not a big Tim Hortons fan, their coffee is brown water, At least the sandwiches are more healthy than all the fried fast food typically offered in the city ! I have to a agree I would much rather see a Tim Hortons than ANOTHER liquor store or wig/beauty/barber shop. I hope they can keep the standards up though ,because we all know how the service can be in the city, and we all know what I'm talking about .

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Tim's is a fast food/donut shop. They don't eat donuts in Detroit?

I don't think they're making artisanal donuts. Organic locavore donuts on Fenkell, anyone?

Canada positively lives on Tims. If it werent for Tims, we'd still be out hunting and foraging for our daily subsistence. Nobody wants to go back to that.

Hah! Don't know how that can stand that horrid "offee" [[not coffee), but anyway I drove by the Tim Hortons on Fenkell and Wyoming, and noticed they have the 'bullet-proof' glass up at the service counter if I am not mistaken. Can someone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Canada positively lives on Tims. If it werent for Tims, we'd still be out hunting and foraging for our daily subsistence. Nobody wants to go back to that.

I don't have anything against Tim Horton's. I've only been to one TH. It was on E. Jefferson & E. Grand Blvd and never went back. The coffee was not good and the danish was hard and had jam in the middle instead of fruit. If you want really great coffee and made on the premises baked goods go to Milano Bakery at Mack and Russell. For $2.83 you will get 20 ounces of excellent coffee and a danish or other pastry with real fruit. They don't have latte's, mocha's, or cap's but at least when you hand them a $5.00 bill you will get some change back not just a smile and a receipt.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-05-12 at 10:15 AM.

TH may or may not have the best coffee or donuts, and we could be discussing their offerings forever. What we really should be discussing is why there are only a few TH's in the city of Detroit, and why we have to drive to the edge of Eastern Market to purchase a decent cup of coffee!! These are operations that should be near all the neighborhoods in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    TH may or may not have the best coffee or donuts, and we could be discussing their offerings forever. What we really should be discussing is why there are only a few TH's in the city of Detroit, and why we have to drive to the edge of Eastern Market to purchase a decent cup of coffee!! These are operations that should be near all the neighborhoods in the city.
    I agree. People should not have to drive 20 miles for a good cup of coffee. There should be great places to eat and shop in every neighborhood in the city. However, such is not the case. I merely mentioned Milano's because a lot of folks on DYes go to the Eastern Market every Saturday.

I happy that TH has moved into the Detroit market , howevre like I said earlier , That "coffee" is UNDRINKABLE !, and the latte's, mocha's ect are no better sorry. If you want good java check out Astro's on Michigan in corktown, also Chez zara's if you are in Downtown @ chase tower or in the Madison building , or Great Lakes Coffee on Woodward in Midtown .

I don't drink coffee everyday and have learn to enjoy the qualities of a good cup.
    I'm not the type has to have a cup just to wake up , so I don't have to have a cup everyday , so if I do I go to the above mention .
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I don't have anything against Tim Horton's. I've only been to one TH. It was on E. Jefferson & E. Grand Blvd and never went back. The coffee was not good and the danish was hard and had jam in the middle instead of fruit. If you want really great coffee and made on the premises baked goods go to Milano Bakery at Mack and Russell. For $2.83 you will get 20 ounces of excellent coffee and a danish or other pastry with real fruit. They don't have latte's, mocha's, or cap's but at least when you hand them a $5.00 bill you will get some change back not just a smile and a receipt.

Further down Fenkell you will find a Tim Horton's at Telegraph. While this should not be a surprise, they have just finished renovating it. On Telegraph just S of Fenkell a new store opened. It too is a Tim Horton's. Is this saturation making Detroit the Canada of the United States?

The one at Gratiot and French is open, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I happy that TH has moved into the Detroit market , howevre like I said earlier , That "coffee" is UNDRINKABLE !, and the latte's, mocha's ect are no better sorry. If you want good java check out Astro's on Michigan in corktown, also Chez zara's if you are in Downtown @ chase tower or in the Madison building , or Great Lakes Coffee on Woodward in Midtown .

I don't drink coffee everyday and have learn to enjoy the qualities of a good cup.
    I'm not the type has to have a cup just to wake up , so I don't have to have a cup everyday , so if I do I go to the above mention .
    Dont forget 1515 Broadway where you could get coffee in a 16 ounce cup instead of the small 12 oz cups that the other indepent owned coffee shops only gives you. What a rip off. I had heard that a pastry/coffee shop is going to open on Gratiot near Russell. Do anyone has any update on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Further down Fenkell you will find a Tim Horton's at Telegraph. While this should not be a surprise, they have just finished renovating it. On Telegraph just S of Fenkell a new store opened. It too is a Tim Horton's. Is this saturation making Detroit the Canada of the United States?
    Yes it is interesting that they have the two there now and they did renovate the original one). My daughter had her first job there, and it is interesting the composition of the employees has changed. I wonder if it is now a franchise store, and not company owned.

I know Tim's did that with the one in Farmington Hills. It is done by a Canadian.

Who are the owners of these Tim Horton's that are opening up in the inner city?

I know a couple of football players own at least one maybe more.

Not far from the Evergreen/7-Mile Tim Horton's, they just opened one on 8 Mile, east of Telegraph. It's on the south/Detroit side, opposite of Sam's Club. It's beside an Omega Coney Island. The building used to be an Arby's in the 2000s.

I have been conversing with others about the recent inundation by Timmy.

I've actually been in the coffee business for almost a year, now. I've been entertaining the idea of getting a mall-based kiosk. Thus far, I've mostly been doing vending events and trade shows.

http://ronhilliard.organogold.com/r/US/index.html

Chaldean entrepreneurs are trying their hands in this franchise business. They will open businesses where most people dare to tread. More power to them.

On a similar note . I think I may have heard about this somewhere on this site but I'm too lazy to look :-)
    I was downtown yesterday and notice that Roasting plant is opening in the First national building on Woodward @ Campus Martius .
    This is pretty big news . I did a quick Google check and these guys are from NYC and Manhattan !
    I think this is big news because they are only in NYC on Manhattan , not Chicago, or LA and they picked Detroit to open !? , Not Troy, Novi, or any burb.
    Also this wont be just another big chain [[Starbucks,Caribou,Einstien Bagels,Biggby's ect)
    http://roastingplant.com/
    http://roastingplant.com/locations/
    I think it shows the confidence and forward thinking of New Yorkers about Detroit.
    We all know New Yorkers ALWAYS like to be at the forefront of EVERYTHING :-)
    Any thoughts ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast