While driving along the Chrysler, Reuther, and Jeffries/Fisher Freeways, I have always wondered if a Chicago-style EL-Train set up could be the answer to mass transit in Metro Detroit. Could a system be built rather inexpensively if rail tracks were placed along the inner-shoulder and fast lanes? Would Metro Detroiters ride them?

With the Chrysler Freeway I could envision a transit train going from Oakland Mall to Downtown Detroit, ending near Gratiot. A park and ride set-up would exist at Oakland Mall, where riders would take a pedestian bridge to get to boarding platform along the median of the freeway.

Along the Jeffries Freeway the transit train would go as far west as Middlebelt Road and travel downtown, curving east to travel along the Fisher Freeway and stopping at Woodward or Eastern Market. Park and ride lots could be established along the many parking lots south of the freeway along Middlebelt.

Along the Reuther Freeway, the transit train would start near I-94 and travel west to the Telegraph/Northwestern Highway interchange. It could also continue along Northwestern Highway to Orchard Lake Road.

With disputes with rail companies continuing with right-of-way rights [[think Amtrak and CSX?), this could be the solution to getting some form of mass transit in the region, relatively inexpensively. What are you thoughts?