Hey all,

I've lurked here a little bit in the past but I signed up to ask a favor of the community.

I'm doing my master's thesis research on the 1963 "Walk to Freedom" in Detroit, where more than 100,000 Detroiters marched with Martin Luther King, Jr., Mayor Cavanagh, Reuther, Rev. Franklin and others.

I'm looking for anyone who lived in or around Detroit at the time of the March, June 23, 1963. Especially, of course, anyone who actually was in the March and would be willing to talk about their experience and memories. In particular, anyone who is retired DPD or a member of the media would be desired.

If you were there, remember it and are willing to share, please post here and/or contact me via a private message. Ideally I would like to interview you about your experiences.

Next year is the 50th anniversary of this March, which is still the largest single-city civil rights march in history, and time is running out to really tell the story well. So much of history is in our memories, rather than pictures and documents, and it needs to be written down or eventually it's lost forever. If anyone out there is willing to help me [[and the City), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Below is a link to a blog post from the Walter Reuther Library in Detroit describing the event. Maybe it will help jog some memories.
https://www.reuther.wayne.edu/node/7858