Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    One air bag met another, and the human one lost.
    Good One.
    I was involved in a head on a few years back. Seat belt saved my butt. All my injuiries were from the air bag, which I accept as the price you pay for safety.

It's very dissapointing that he wouldn't be smart enough to wear a seatbelt.

I think the seatbelt law shouldn't be, people should be allowed to be stupid if they want to. However, since we do have the law, Brooks should be treated as any other person.

So if we go back and give seatbelt tickets to injured people, then he should get one too. I'm just not sure if that's something that's a common practice or not.

I wish everyone involved a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    It's very dissapointing that he wouldn't be smart enough to wear a seatbelt.

I think the seatbelt law shouldn't be, people should be allowed to be stupid if they want to. However, since we do have the law, Brooks should be treated as any other person.

So if we go back and give seatbelt tickets to injured people, then he should get one too. I'm just not sure if that's something that's a common practice or not.

I wish everyone involved a speedy recovery.

Does the passenger get the ticket or does the driver get tickets for himself and any unbelted passengers?

Usually the driver is supposed to be in control of the occupants of the vehicle, but I'm sure in this instance he can say he was merely following orders. He was paid by his passenger!

So there is a shortage of cops but L Brookes gets one to drive him around?
    Is he working as a cop when he drives or is this a side job?

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    So there is a shortage of cops but L Brookes gets one to drive him around?
    Is he working as a cop when he drives or is this a side job?
    He is a retired State Trooper, so he's probably his personal driver.

Smart move by LBP, now he can have his Scotch 24/7

Since it was four-out-of-four, the fines should be quadrupled to make examples of these folks.

I knew Brooks wasn't wearing a seatbelt due the nature of his injuries...but damn, the professional driver wasn't wearing one, either. I know he's hurt badly, but it is another reason why he and his family should be EMBARASSED, not upset at his critics.

Clean Diesel demo car...I'm guessing it didn't have the same acceleration of the driver's usual vehicle...but they probably knew that intersection. Now that I know they weren't wearing seatbelts either, I take back my previous comments on them not getting a ticket for this crash. Now I want everyone to get tickets.

Especially L. Brooks.
    He'll probably get a slap on the wrist, and a tougue-lashing from the Judge, then they'll go out a have a few beers.

I worked for a couple of years at a drive-through, and the police I served were never, not once, seat-belted. That really irked one of my co-workers who had gotten a ticket for just that. [[This was on the other side of the state.) Maybe police don't ever buckle up? BTW wishing the best recovery for LBP.

Quote Originally Posted by narnarnar View Post
    ... Maybe police don't ever buckle up?...
    I know they're trained about being trapped by a seat belt after an accident but that's one of the reasons they carry serrated knives. I can't think of any legitimate reason for them not to buckle up. Interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I know they're trained about being trapped by a seat belt after an accident but that's one of the reasons they carry serrated knives. I can't think of any legitimate reason for them not to buckle up. Interesting question.
    If some of them stayed out of Dunkin Donuts, they would be able to buckle up.

The law excludes 'delivery drivers' and such who have to get out of their vehicles often, which surely includes police officers. Also, their utility belts would get caught on the seatbelts, hindering quick exits. It is tough to impossible to be belted and have clear and easy access to a sidearm, as well. Donuts add to the girth of the problem.

No excuse for L. and his driver, and especially none for the Bosch Jetta occupants.

Cheers

The law excludes 'delivery drivers' and such who have to get out of their vehicles often, which surely includes police officers. Also, their utility belts would get caught on the seatbelts, hindering quick exits. It is tough to impossible to be belted and have clear and easy access to a sidearm, as well. Donuts add to the girth of the problem.

No excuse for L. and his driver, and especially none for the Bosch Jetta occupants.

Cheers
    I didn't know it excluded delivery drivers. My friend drives a van for a health clinic, and he always buckles up.

I always buckle up regardless of the law. I'm irked how the law claims it's about "pubic safety" when in reality it's a money grab. Same with the smoking ban law. I doubt anyone personally cares if others wear a seat belt. It's just yet another reason for cops to pull you over and generate revenue.

According to Auburn Hills police, Patterson’s vehicle had a green light, and Prainito's vehicle had a blinking yellow light.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012082...o-misdemeanors

How is that possible? If one direction has a steady green, no one else should have anything but a steady red. If one direction has a flashing yellow, all directions should have either a flashing yellow or flashing red.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012082...o-misdemeanors

How is that possible? If one direction has a steady green, no one else should have anything but a steady red. If one direction has a flashing yellow, all directions should have either a flashing yellow or flashing red.
    Left turn lanes blink yellow with on coming traffic being green.

Blinking yellow has meant "proceed with caution" for a few decades; why was the left-turn change made from blinking red, which is understood by all in MI to mean that green-lighted traffic is coming at you?

Having blinking yellow mean one thing at one traffic light and another and a different one is a terrible idea.

If that's true, that's wrong and could prove to be extremely expensive for the state in a civil court.

The correct signal would be either flashing red or a flashing red arrow.

If that's true, that's wrong and could prove to be extremely expensive for the state in a civil court.

The correct signal would be either flashing red or a flashing red arrow.
    The flashing reds are being phased out as signals are replaced. The flashing yellow arrow setup will be the standard going forward. [[And, for the record, I think they picked a flawed setup.)

MDOT's take on the new signals:

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...7538--,00.html

I guess I can see what they're looking at. If you're approaching an intersection in a Left Turn lane and there is no oncoming traffic, you can make the turn without stopping which is required at a flashing red signal.

But I don't agree with it.

I guess I can see what they're looking at. If you're approaching an intersection in a Left Turn lane and there is no oncoming traffic, you can make the turn without stopping which is required at a flashing red signal.

But I don't agree with it.
    This is what confused the guy. In outside counties these have been going up for over a year now. Its a change, and by itself that is confusing enough.
    I havent actually seen any problems from this but I am sure there are others.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that it blinks yellow, then right before going red it turns solid yellow. Sometimes I cant remember if its solid then blinking or the other way around and you stuck out in the middle of the intersection with a red light.

L Brooks should get a seatbelt ticket. Click it or Ticket L Brooks. Click it or Ticket.

This is what confused the guy. In outside counties these have been going up for over a year now. Its a change, and by itself that is confusing enough.
    I havent actually seen any problems from this but I am sure there are others.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that it blinks yellow, then right before going red it turns solid yellow. Sometimes I cant remember if its solid then blinking or the other way around and you stuck out in the middle of the intersection with a red light.
    In SCS it becomes very confusing.... if you're driving south on Little Mack...

11 Mile & Little Mack starts out STEADY RED ARROW, and then goes to BLINKING YELLOW ARROW.... then STEADY YELLOW ARROW and then RED.

10 Mile & Little Mack in the daytime the 2 directions of traffic have separate flows... so it starts out STEADY GREEN ARROW and then goes to STEADY YELLOW ARROW before going to RED. And since this is a timed sensor light at night... your start out with a BLINKING YELLOW ARROW that could last as short as 4 seconds before changing to SOLID YELLOW and then RED.

Then just south of where Little Mack merges into Harper Ave.... [[again we have separate traffic flows) at 9 Mile & Harper, you start out with BLINKING YELLOW ARROW that goes to a SOLID YELLOW ARROW and then RED... but then it goes to STEADY GREEN ARROW... then it goes to SOLID YELLOW ARROW before it goes RED for the 2nd time [[all this happens before the 9 Mile traffic even starts moving).

This is supposed to make us safer?? It's the older drivers I feel sorry for... they're really confused by these variations....
    Last edited by Gistok; August-22-12 at 02:26 PM.

As far as I'm concerned, a Left Turn signal should only be steady green, steady yellow, flashing red or steady ready. Flashing yellow should never be an option.

Out here in the undisclosed town nearby the sticks, there are several major intersections where only one of four directions moves at any one time. Two directions never move, not even opposing through directions. If you manage to miss the green, you can sit for several minutes while the cycle runs through the other three directions.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast