Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Could Southland die next?

I was just there earlier today. Even though I was there just to shop at their JCPenney store [[in there, everything was switched around and there are a few areas on the ground level that were closed off for construction in there, I heard it was because of new ownership), I found out I had missed the bus home, so I decided to walk into the mall itself to pass some time. [[FYI, I took another DYer's advice and took SMART route #160.)

While doing so, I noticed four stores that were there last time I was in Southland had closed: 5-7-9 and a gift shop called Blue Hippo Novelty [[the latter was short-lived, it opened back in early April) [[both were between JCPenney and Macy's), the Sprint cell phone store next to Macy's and another gift shop which was called Hodge Podge [[which was were I was going to) next to Subway near Macy's. Strangely enough, the Sprint store and Hodge Podge are still listed on Southland's site.

And Beautiful Eyebrows [[which is some sort of salon) moved from next to Macy's to just two storefronts from where BHN used to be, between the two is a Detroit-themed clothing store [[which is still open).

But, while I was walking past the CJ Banks store [[which is across the hallway from the former BHN, the Detroit store and the newly-relocated Beautiful Eyebrows), they had some sort of semi-annual clearance sale going on, however I didn't see any mention of it closing soon.

However, I noticed that there were still a fair amount of other shoppers [[like what you would expect in a normal mall) and many of the stores are still open. So could that mean that Southland could soon become another dead mall? Is it's current state probably even worse than two of it's sisters, Eastland and Northland? I am slightly worried about this, because back in January the Big Boy restaurant in Southland [[which is oddly enough also still on the mall's site) closed and we all know Borders closed all their stores last year [[including Southland).
    Last edited by mtburb; August-06-12 at 03:45 PM.