Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
Metro Detroit cannot support two arenas with tons of suites and frills. You need to combine hockey and basketball in one arena, and then the suites and frills make sense.
ummmmm... We already do. 19,000 people routinely fill the Joe on the same evening 21,000 people fill the Palace. Adding a couple more suites and frills to a new Joe will not suddenly change this dynamic. It worked jsut find for the Lions and Tigers. Should we combind our Baseball and Footabll stadiums too? Obviously Metro Detroit can't handle two large stadiums with suites and frills.

Please name me a city that has two successful arenas with frills and suites. New York is the only one I can think of. It can't even be done in LA or Chicago.
New Jersey: NBA Izod Center. NHL Prudential Center
Charlotte, NC: NBA Time Warner Cable Arena. NHL RBC Center
Miami, FL: NBA American Airlines Arena NHL Bank Atlantic Center
Minnesota: NBA Target Center NHL Xcel Energy Center

Aside from one or 2 of these areans, all ahve been built within the last 7 years, and with all of teh standard suites and frills.

And last I checked, if you have one stadium with all the frills and suites supporting a hockey and a basketball team, you still need to find the same number of suite and ticekt buyers as if you had two stadiums. Buying a suite for the Knicks doesn't buy you a suite for the Rangers.