Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    muskie1 Guest

I voted no. I disagreed with the free admission, rather would have the funding split as was already discussed. Free admission will equal parts of Belle Isle on a hot Friday night.

Sell off assets, fire people and live within your budget. Welcome to reality.

52.4% reporting in Macomb: Yes leads no by under 150 votes.

So... if Macomb doesn't pass the millage and Oakland and Wayne do, does that mean only Oakland and Wayne residents get the free admission?

No side is leading now [[and growing) in Macomb according to the County's website with 68% of the precincts reporting...Thanks Macomb!

Quote Originally Posted by clark1mt View Post
    So... if Macomb doesn't pass the millage and Oakland and Wayne do, does that mean only Oakland and Wayne residents get the free admission?
    I think the whole thing fails. All three must vote yes for it pass.

Damn near 50/50 with "yes" 500 votes ahead, 90% reporting. This is still up in the air!

Looks like it's a go in all three counties!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Looks like it's a go in all three counties!
    Yup! It passed. Overall I definitely think this is a good thing! I understand where some people are coming with the concern of the entry being "free", however, I wouldn't think the people who like to stir up trouble would really care to go see this art. I could be wrong though. Also, this may be nice for parents with multiple children who normally wouldn't want to pay multiple entry fees.

This could also be a great student field trip. I would think that any renters will inadvertently be paying in as well because there is no way the landlords aren't going to pass this small fee down in rent. It is so small though, that many landlords may not even bother, which is their choice. I also see this as a positive because this money will not be going to the city government.

Perhaps the DIA can come up with some more creative ways of fundraising in the future. I'm not sure if they do this or not, but way about allowing artists to come in one Saturday per month or something and allowing them to sell their artwork. A portion of any sold goes to the DIA. Just a thought and maybe they already do this.

Does it surprise anyone that the only place it was even close was Macomb County?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Does it surprise anyone that the only place it was even close was Macomb County?
    I think the biggest thing this accomplishes is allowing the DIA have enough operational stability to focus on major capital campaigns to increase their major endowments.

One of the things that I've learned on the side of non-profits, and arts/cultural orgs, is that: [[1) Fundraising is a major part of the business model...that is, that user fees are not a reliable source of income the same way that, say, a cellphone monthly contract is for AT&T; and [[2) donors hate giving funds to fund operating expenses instead of leaving a long-term legacy that will last a long time. [[Donors would rather give us the golden goose rather than have to worry about us coming back every year to beg for eggs.)

Lastly, no one -- donor or otherwise -- is willing to get too emotionally, politically, or financially invested in an entity that may be gone tomorrow.

With a consistent source of income, the DIA can now focus on replacing some of the large sources of philanthropic wealth which disappeared with the fall of the auto industry. Selling off assets in the middle of a fire sale is not a good long-term strategy when it can be avoided, which it apparently can.

As for a lack of entrance fee turning the museum into the "Hot Friday Night on Belle Isle Crowd", I welcome all who wish to enrich themselves in culture. Perhaps they would benefit from it as well.

Thank you for those of you who supported this cause. For those of you who did not, I believe that your arguments about oversight as well as other components have a lot of weight. I support this millage and the DIA being operated efficiently and responsibly. We should reward them if they do so, and correct them if they do not.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; August-08-12 at 12:10 AM.

Yes, I noticed that. Why was it close in Macomb?

While I agree some fee would be ok if it meant preventing closure. But NO, the DIA is not going to become the 'strip' at Belle Isle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muskie1 View Post
    Free admission will equal parts of Belle Isle on a hot Friday night.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-08-12 at 05:41 AM.

I don't think the DIA is at the level of importance of public education
    It's a place to learn things in it's own right so it is at that level. Why do you think they take school kids there on field trips?

I'm glad this passed. All the naysayers need to go visit. Even if you think you don't like "art" they have a wide range of objects there like armor, native american artifacts, dishes, furniture etc. Something for everyone.

I don't have any concerns about riff-raff now that it will be free. I'm disappointed this passed though.

However, I'll most certainly be visiting more now that this is wholly subsidized across the tax base of three counties.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    All the naysayers need to go visit. Even if you think you don't like "art" they have a wide range of objects there like armor, native american artifacts, dishes, furniture etc. Something for everyone.
    Many of the nay-sayers have visited. We are not against the DIA, we're against forcing everyone to buy a ticket via their taxes.

Same people tired of libraries not turning a profit?

I grew up in northern Macomb. Downtown Detroit may as well have been a foreign country. Why pay for something you don't see as valuable to you & your community?

It may be short-sighted, but where does it end?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    It's a place to learn things in it's own right so it is at that level. Why do you think they take school kids there on field trips?

I'm glad this passed. All the naysayers need to go visit. Even if you think you don't like "art" they have a wide range of objects there like armor, native american artifacts, dishes, furniture etc. Something for everyone.

I couldn't agree more. I seriously wonder how many of the people that voted against this measure have ever even been to the DIA within the last five years. Ten years even. Or if they've ever been.

I seriously wonder if people know what sort of gem it is here in our city. And to those people who voted no, have they ever been to other art museums and compared the DIA to those other art museums. Seriously the only two art museums that I've been to that outclass the DIA are the Met in NYC and the Tate in London. We have world class here and I really doubt if people even realize it.

To me the people who realize that are the ones who stepped right up and voted yes without hesitation.

And to the people that got outvoted- go to the DIA. Take advantage of this measure and expand your mind a little bit. Get out of your quaint comfortable recliner and see something that out-of-towners rave about and you have no clue what or how wonderful it is. It's in our very own backyard so take advantage of it.

This scenario always reminds me of lifelong New Yorkers that never visit the Statue of Liberty. It's a crying shame and people just take their jewels for granted.

Why was it close in Macomb? County Commissioner campaigning against it maybe? Also, I have relatives in northern Macomb. They would sooner shave off their eyebrows than come to Detroit for any reason. Why? They would automatically be shot, or someone would throw something off an overpass and kill them. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And to the people that got outvoted- go to the DIA. Take advantage of this measure and expand your mind a little bit. Get out of your quaint comfortable recliner and see something that out-of-towners rave about and you have no clue what or how wonderful it is. It's in our very own backyard so take advantage of it.

This scenario always reminds me of lifelong New Yorkers that never visit the Statue of Liberty. It's a crying shame and people just take their jewels for granted.
    You're falsely classifying those that voted "no" as those that don't go to the DIA.

There's plenty of people that voted "no" but still go to the DIA, we just don't think that everyone in the tri-county area should have to pay for it.

The simple fact is that the DIA was not and is not in any financial danger. The upper management of this non-profit are raking in huge amounts of money, which is now taxpayer money.

Voting no does not equate to being against art, nor does it infer that no-voters have not or will not go to the DIA.

The issue here is, who should pay for it? Those that use it? Or force everyone to pay for it?

Apparently the issue has been resolved. The majority of people who will eventually end up paying this tax believe it is worth the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    Apparently the issue has been resolved. The majority of people who will eventually end up paying this tax believe it is worth the expense.
    The Frank Rizzos of Macomb County shake their collective fist. "You win this time, Lucky Ducky, but let's just see you try to squeeze one more thin dime out of me!"

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    The issue here is, who should pay for it? Those that use it? Or force everyone to pay for it?
    Why not, we all subsidize the large oil companies whose executives are paid millions even though not everyone owns a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Why not, we all subsidize the large oil companies whose executives are paid millions even though not everyone owns a car.
    Under that logic then we will subsidize everything and you can universally apply it.

Just because one thing is wrong, doesn't mean that another thing is right.

Shollin Guest

I bet they could've added this tax and no one would've noticed. I was with a couple people in a resturaunt in Warren about a month ago. We were talking some political issues and someone just butts into our conversation and starts talking about taxes and civil liberties. he started talking about God and I almost thought he was going to break out into song, singing God Bless America. Right then is when I knew this had a tough time passing in Macomb County.

Name:  first-world-problems.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  96.9 KB
    They're taking my money away from me to pay for a world-class museum.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast