Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    That rumor has been going around since the 80's.
    Harper Woods was also pushing a similar idea for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I was about to throw in some eastside love here but since I'm a quarter mile up the wrong side of Mack, fuck it. Keep building those walls, that's will fix everything.
    Just checked with a friend who works with the Park often and there are no plans at this time to close Kercheval.

I was about to throw in some eastside love here but since I'm a quarter mile up the wrong side of Mack, fuck it. Keep building those walls, that's will fix everything.
    It's not about walling it off, it's closing a road to make it a entertainment district and a destination. It's not to simply make Kercheval a dead end road. If anything it would attract MORE people. Which is why I think the odds are long it will ever happen. GP is still run by blue haired old ladies that think new restaurants, bars, or movie theaters "brings down" GP and is going to bring the "wrong element".

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Harper Woods was also pushing a similar idea for a long time
    Well again. HW, was looking to wall off streets to restrict access. This plan is to create an entertainment district.

That rumor has been going around since the 80's.
    Understood. but this time the $$ is on board. and they are actually pushing it....instead of just talking about it. But again, they are up against a blue haired army of anti development oldsters.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Just checked with a friend who works with the Park often and there are no plans at this time to close Kercheval.
    That just means it's not been submitted. They are people putting it together though....allegedly. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    It's not about walling it off, it's closing a road to make it a entertainment district and a destination. It's not to simply make Kercheval a dead end road. If anything it would attract MORE people. Which is why I think the odds are long it will ever happen. GP is still run by blue haired old ladies that think new restaurants, bars, or movie theaters "brings down" GP and is going to bring the "wrong element".

Well again. HW, was looking to wall off streets to restrict access. This plan is to create an entertainment district.

Understood. but this time the $$ is on board. and they are actually pushing it....instead of just talking about it. But again, they are up against a blue haired army of anti development oldsters.

That just means it's not been submitted. They are people putting it together though....allegedly. ;-)
    There have been people putting together proposals for over 40 years! There are also residents who want to put a machine gun tower there, but none of the proposals have been acted on. I have a feeling the county also has some say in the process which of course put a damper on any plans.

GPP has closed 3 streets intersecting with Alter Road over the years - St. Paul, Goethe and Korte. Also, Windmill Pointe Drive was closed with the contruction of the new bridge to the Angel Park area.

I don't think the county has any say over what happens with Kercheval, as it is not a county road, as are Jefferson and Mack Ave.

There have been people putting together proposals for over 40 years! There are also residents who want to put a machine gun tower there, but none of the proposals have been acted on. I have a feeling the county also has some say in the process which of course put a damper on any plans.
    Ha. yes. Plans/rumors have been around for years. Just saying that they've been dusted off and new group is pushing them.

I don't know what the County has to say about it though. Kercheval is not a county road....is it?

Ha. yes. Plans/rumors have been around for years. Just saying that they've been dusted off and new group is pushing them.

I don't know what the County has to say about it though. Kercheval is not a county road....is it?
    I could not remember if Kercheval was a county road or not. Blocking Kercheval would be a waste of time and money with all the other access points close by. Moving the border to Alter would be far better as the Park Police would be able to actually patrol Alter as opposed to their seudo patrols now.

Isn't Kerch a bus route?

Buses turn at Lakepointe.

The GPP/Detroit border is the middle of the block between Wayburn and Alter Road, which is why GPP, acting alone, could not close Kercheval at Alter Road.
    Last edited by GPCharles; August-02-12 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

The GPP/Detroit border is the middle of the block between Wayburn and Alter Road, which is why GPP, acting alone, could not close Kercheval at Alter Road.
    They could close it jusssssst before Alter, like they did at St. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    They could close it jusssssst before Alter, like they did at St. Paul

You mean in the Alley?

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

Especially since the border was moved to its present location in the late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You mean in the Alley?
    I see what you did there.

It's not about walling it off, it's closing a road to make it a entertainment district and a destination.
    Because the best way to attract people and make a locale vibrant is to make it inaccessible.

GP clearly closed Grayton, St. Paul, Goethe, and Korte to make them more vibrant entertainment districts. No other motivation came into play, to be sure.

I was born at night, but not last night, baby.

GP is still run by blue haired old ladies...
    Sounds like you have plenty of clout, then.

Now that I think about it, I support the Berlin Walling of GP. It will keep a certain blue-haired, grousing element from getting out.

Why would anyone object to closing off these streets? Making our cities more walkable is a laudable goal.

Oh, its proof of latent [[or overt) racism you say? How absurd. There may be racists on both sides of the divide -- but the desire for separation is driven by a desire to be left alone. A basic American principle.

Rather than scream about perceived racism, why not make the Detroit side of the border a place people want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Because the best way to attract people and make a locale vibrant is to make it inaccessible.

GP clearly closed Grayton, St. Paul, Goethe, and Korte to make them more vibrant entertainment districts. No other motivation came into play, to be sure.
    I was born at night, but not last night, baby
    Are you not from here and ignorant of geography or are you just being willfully ignorant about facts? One can be excused... the other, not so much. Ignorance can be fixed, but stupid is forever, baby.

Grayton, St. Paul, Goethe and Korte are RESIDENTIAL STREETS. I agree that there can be some debate about the merits of those closures. I don't believe I or anyone else equated them to this issue.

The proposals about closing off Kercheval at that section is to make a pedestrian street and entertainment district... couple of bars, new restaurants, shops...etc. Breathe new life into an area that has an awful lot of "For Lease" signs hanging in the windows.

Regardless of when you were born, I don't see how doing something EXPRESSLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF ATTRACTING MORE PEOPLE TO THE AREA is limiting access to it.

Jesus, what is it with the pathological hatred of GP?
    Last edited by bailey; August-03-12 at 01:59 PM.

Are you not from here and ignorant of geography or are you just being willfully ignorant about facts? One can be excused... the other, not so much. Ignorance can be fixed, but stupid is forever, baby.

Grayton, St. Paul, Goethe and Korte are RESIDENTIAL STREETS. I agree that there can be some debate about the merits of those closures. I don't believe I or anyone else equated them to this issue.

The proposals about closing off Kercheval at that section is to make a pedestrian street and entertainment district... couple of bars, new restaurants, shops...etc. Breathe new life into an area that has an awful lot of "For Lease" signs hanging in the windows.

Regardless of when you were born, I don't see how doing something EXPRESSLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF ATTRACTING MORE PEOPLE TO THE AREA is limiting access to it.

Jesus, what is it with the pathological hatred of GP?
    Envy and ignorance come to mind with everyone's hatred of GP! The closing of Grayton was unrelated to the closings at the southern end of the Park. The residents on the first block off Mack requested the closing due to the very large volume of traffic on the street. The Park ran the usual tests and found they warranted closing off the street. As for the other closings they were a knee jerk reaction to the smash and grab break ins at the time. Also if I remember Grayton was closed a few years before the other streets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2