Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Wdiv's website is pretty tame in comparison to wjbk's and the detroit news/free press.

Firstandten, I am sorry if you thought I was being condescending, I wasnt.
    Based on your knowledge of the establishment put this whole story in a much clearer light for me. And from what Im hearing there is no way people dont know who did this.
    I think my snitching question is valid

If I am reading these posts correctly, a barbershop is a santuary, a safe haven, a place with unwritten rules where no crimes shall take place....is that what I am reading about the "culture of black barbershops"?

So, I guess a home where children are sleeping, a church parking lot where an elderly gentleman is guarding, gas stations, everywhere else is fair game for the thugs to kill someone. The thugs who shot the young man must not be aware of or understand...or even care about some things in their own culture.

Sorry if this post sounds a bit sarcastic, but when I read posts talking about black culture of barbershops and the community they serve and this shooting should not have taken place inside, outside or near the shop, the explanation is absurd.

superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    If I am reading these posts correctly, a barbershop is a santuary, a safe haven, a place with unwritten rules where no crimes shall take place....is that what I am reading about the "culture of black barbershops"?

So, I guess a home where children are sleeping, a church parking lot where an elderly gentleman is guarding, gas stations, everywhere else is fair game for the thugs to kill someone. The thugs who shot the young man must not be aware of or understand...or even care about some things in their own culture.

Sorry if this post sounds a bit sarcastic, but when I read posts talking about black culture of barbershops and the community they serve and this shooting should not have taken place inside, outside or near the shop, the explanation is absurd.
    Just because its something you don't practiice
    and believe in or understand makes it absurd? Who are you to judge or look down your nose at folks? Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I've no idea what COD is.
    cess pool of poorly written news articles and simple trashy commenters

weather or not its true in this case unless you have a large farm and its the 1930s there is no reason to have 6 kids at the age of 24. Completely irresponsible

How about you just offer a note of condolence then have a Coke and a smile? If you're at a loss for words during this time of grief for that young man's family then here's something to break your writer's block:

Poor boys, I feel bad for the families of both of them. Whatever they were doing, illegal or not, they didn't deserve to die.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Just because its something you don't practiice
    and believe in or understand makes it absurd? Who are you to judge or look down your nose at folks? Seriously.

To judge someone is to form an opinion about whether or not something is right or wrong. Saying that the black culture prohibits someone to shoot another someone on their premises because it is a "safe zone" is wrong...simply because it should be wrong to do it ANYWHERE.
    I look down at any person [[black or white) who uses this mentality to justify what they are saying...because, frankly, there is no justification for murder, anywhere, Detroit, Warren, Allen Park or Grosse Pointe....seriously!

I believe in the sanctity of life. I believe that it should be cherished, no matter where you are... church, home, gas station OR barbershop. It is absurd to say that barbershops usually are and should be "safe zones". Where are we anyway, Iraq???

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    How about you just offer a note of condolence then have a Coke and a smile? If you're at a loss for words during this time of grief for that young man's family then here's something to break your writer's block:

[/COLOR]
    How about you just pass over or "ignore" any of my posts if you don't like what I write.

Why didn't this thug carry his pistol to the car? He could have had his shootout outside and saved these innocent bystanders from getting shot.

superduperman Guest

To judge someone is to form an opinion about whether or not something is right or wrong. Saying that the black culture prohibits someone to shoot another someone on their premises because it is a "safe zone" is wrong...simply because it should be wrong to do it ANYWHERE.
    I look down at any person [[black or white) who uses this mentality to justify what they are saying...because, frankly, there is no justification for murder, anywhere, Detroit, Warren, Allen Park or Grosse Pointe....seriously!

I believe in the sanctity of life. I believe that it should be cherished, no matter where you are... church, home, gas station OR barbershop. It is absurd to say that barbershops usually are and should be "safe zones". Where are we anyway, Iraq???
    Wake up. This is the world we live in, whether you choose to accept it or not does not matter. Shangri La doesn't exist. Its absurd that people gather once a week and pretend to eat a person and drink blood but they do, whether I think its absurd or not doesn't change the fact it goes on whether I accept it or not and thats what some people choose to do and believe in.

It almost seems like the victim didnt have a gun, ran inside and the barber reacted and pulled a gun.

superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Why didn't this thug carry his pistol to the car? He could have had his shootout outside and saved these innocent bystanders from getting shot.
    You all sure love to throw the word "Thug" around easily and frequently. Unless you knew this young man personally what reason would you need to label him a thug? Do you know what the word thug means and if you do why do you think it applys to this young man? Quick note though, often times people will substitute one word for the word they really want to say only because they can't or are afraid to say what they really feel, ijs.

If the guy brought a gun in this place knowing someone was after him, then when leaving runs back in jepordizing all in the barber shop then he aint no choirboy.

Shollin Guest

Where was he supposed to go? If someone is running at me with a gun I'm going to go into a building and look to take shelter.

Lot's of times people in desperate circumstances make choices to protect other people. I think a coward would run into a teeny shop to hide behind peaceable others. Would this guy have led the shooter into his own home to shoot at his own family? Unlikely. A brave man would run the other way to save others even if it meant losing his own life.

That's why we have the Medal of Honor. People do do that

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    If the guy brought a gun in this place knowing someone was after him, then when leaving runs back in jepordizing all in the barber shop then he aint no choirboy.
    That's what was so upsetting about the whole incident. Only the victim and perp had guns and the injured were caught in the crossfire. Lets just say the victims childhood gave him a quick two strikes and it was just a matter of time when that third strike was going to come.

Some people just can't escape the cycle of crime and violence no matter what you do or say.

And I guess its easy to call the guy a thug because technically thats what he was. However once you put a face to the name and a history to the face you realize he was on one hand trying to get himself together by going to school and and the other trying to keep it real in the hood. Thats like taking one step forward and two steps back. Thats not a plan thats going to get you anywhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Lot's of times people in desperate circumstances make choices to protect other people. I think a coward would run into a teeny shop to hide behind peaceable others. Would this guy have led the shooter into his own home to shoot at his own family? Unlikely. A brave man would run the other way to save others even if it meant losing his own life.

Well said!

Thank you. Bunch of pussies these days. Maybe if these assholes were just beating each other down with fists and actually had an honor system, I'd have some empathy.

You all sure love to throw the word "Thug" around easily and frequently. Unless you knew this young man personally what reason would you need to label him a thug? Do you know what the word thug means and if you do why do you think it applys to this young man? Quick note though, often times people will substitute one word for the word they really want to say only because they can't or are afraid to say what they really feel, ijs.
    I think the label 'thug' is applied because there's a picture of him showing gang signs.

To be honest if a guy came at me with intent and a gun, between crapping my pants and panicking, I wouldnt know what to do.
    I keep thinking the victim didnt have a gun. Does anyone know what the policy for taking a gun in that barbershop was. I think it would be hard to hide it. Firstandten, you know the place, was there any rules for that.
    I cant figure out why the barber was shot 5 times unless he was in a gun fight.

Originally Posted by cla1945

Cla1945..... you raise a very good point here worthy of discussion. I think it shakes the bedrock of Detroit culture. Is there, in fact, such unwritten rules as a barbershop being a safe haven? Can anyone attest to this claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Where was he supposed to go? If someone is running at me with a gun I'm going to go into a building and look to take shelter.
    Crazy Joe Gallo saved the life of Jerry Orbach & his dining companions by sacrificing himself during his hit @ Umberto's Clam House. Supposedly, he drew exceptional ire by using a black guy in his hit on Joe Colombo

superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post

Also.....a coward is person who sez things online that they normally wouldn't say if they were ever to meet the person face to face. I don't know, I was raised not to speak ill of the dead but hey thats just me,maybe i'm wrong.....who knows. You all are making alot of assumptions, was he a criminal or did he have a permit to carry?

Well, I don't agree with that! There is something to be said for a forum where people can speak freely about topics they would normally dance around with strangers.

Lots of times, in surveys, people just don't tell the truth about race and class feelings. Then pollsters are blind-sided. They call this the Brady Effect, I think.

Places like this allow all of us, by reading these anonymous exchanges, to gauge what is really going on in people's minds about the topics of race and class. That's a good thing.

I think people can see what's going on and they do make judgments. Like it or not, we are not teen-agers any more who are admonished not to make judgments. That's so childish. Of course, we have to make judgments or we will not have any civil standards left.

I was raised not to speak ill of the dead but hey thats just me,maybe i'm wrong.....who knows.
    ...And, reality is that if you're an a$$hole when you're alive and treat people with anger and disrespect, you're an a$$hole when you're dead. The only thing that changes is the fact that the a$$hole isn't around anymore to mistreat you. Treat me good while you're alive and I'll remember you with love and respect. That's the reality.

superduperman Guest

...And, reality is that if you're an a$$hole when you're alive and treat people with anger and disrespect, you're an a$$hole when you're dead. The only thing that changes is the fact that the a$$hole isn't around anymore to mistreat you. Treat me good while you're alive and I'll remember you with love and respect. That's the reality.
    So you're saying he was an a$$hole? I'm talking about this young man and not speaking in general terms.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast