Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sounds like they are poised to corner the ramen noodle and beef jerky market .

Quote Originally Posted by Lostlegumes View Post
    Yep--talked to the guys there--opens Saturday. Gonna try to cater to everyone from the WSU students to the 20-something loft bunch to the biz brigade.
    I do hope it succeeds,, they really need to get a jump on whole foods as Im sure their products and target markets will be of a kinda similar mix and prices fairly high, I realize it wasnt their fault but anytime someone takes two years to open a store you kinda wear out your novelty status and alot of people wont really care. I give them big credit for sticking it out though, not too many people would anywhere,, just hoping they remember to stock a good consistent variety of things, freshness and the big one, good customer service with decent prices,, A ton of competition out there. Best of luck to them

If I ever shop there... you can bet I'll check the "sell by" date on dry goods...

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    I do hope it succeeds,, they really need to get a jump on whole foods as Im sure their products and target markets will be of a kinda similar mix and prices fairly high, I realize it wasnt their fault but anytime someone takes two years to open a store you kinda wear out your novelty status and alot of people wont really care. I give them big credit for sticking it out though, not too many people would anywhere,, just hoping they remember to stock a good consistent variety of things, freshness and the big one, good customer service with decent prices,, A ton of competition out there. Best of luck to them
    I don't know if all the blame for taking so long to open is the fault of the stores owners. I seem to remember reading [[i believe it was an Mlive article) that the owner of the building filed chapter 11 and defaulted on the mortgages. The Ye Ole Butcher Shoppe owners have been trying to get the permission from the court to open their store ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    I seem to remember reading [[i believe it was an Mlive article) that the owner of the building filed chapter 11 and defaulted on the mortgages.
    Or perhaps on post #10 of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Sounds like they are poised to corner the ramen noodle and beef jerky market .
    Now, now, lets not be snarky...

Nice store.. within walking distance [[a plus for me), Great food selection and great staff. Will go back..

Very well done...great fresh meats, all Michigan meats, lots of Michigan products. Well organized, prices are good, in many instances, no higher that University Foods. Good choice of deli meats and cheeses sliced to order. Staff friendly and overall I am very impressed.

I went by yesterday and it seemed open , I haven't gone in yet , by plan on going tomorrow

Went to YOBS on Monday evening to prepare for a dinner date -- EXCELLENT experience. The guy behind the meat counter was extremely knowledgeable, the owners were on the floor helping customers, and the coffee bar was up and running [[they even offered us free desserts!)

If they keep up the momentum, I think they may be in good shape.

I had shopped there last Saturday. I am very impressed. i think that this store will give WholeFoods a run for it's money. I know that they are two different type of stores. YOBS have some organic items and at reasonable prices

I suspect that just the fact that Whole Foods is coming will push them to be the best that they can be. I see iit as being a win-win iin the long run for YOBS.

While driving and listening to NPR[[WDET) one of the guys who owns the place was on speaking and he sounded very commented to Detroit and YOBS.
    I guess his family had been in the business since the 70's ? .
    I finally went and picked up a few things there and was impressed.
    they done a great job on the place it looks ever better than it did before and larger .
    They have a GREAT selection of things . I would def go and pick up some things there .

what is parking like around YOBS?

easy plenty of street, side street and rear parking .
    pretty quick in and out. With huge windows you can even watch your car .

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    what is parking like around YOBS?
    Street parking and a parking lot behind the building.

Just another voice joining the chorus of those impressed by YOBS. I stopped by opening day, and again last night while running some errands. Each time the staff was nice, and we've been able to find different things that we like that aren't always available at U-Foods or Honeybee.

Another bonus for YOBS is that it's south of Mack/MLK. As we live in Woodbridge and my wife works downtown, it's an easy shot up Woodward to grab last minute things on her way home from work that whoever cooks taht night might need.

Just good all around so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    While driving and listening to NPR[[WDET) one of the guys who owns the place was on speaking and he sounded very commented to Detroit and YOBS.
    Michael Solaka's Detroit pedigree is pure. He was President of New Center Council for 13 years, and apparently is also a partner in the Northern Lights Lounge on Baltimore and Second Avenue.

Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe was a replace market out of Zaccaro's Market. That failed after the economic collapse of 2009. After 3 years of red tape the market in Brush Park [[used to be crackhead central) is about to open.

Yeah I also herd them speaking about his "pedigree", they did mention his being an owner of northern Lights and also his family owned a market in Lafayette park . the did it right at YOBS.
    I was impressed , I'm hoping for the best for them !

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Michael Solaka's Detroit pedigree is pure. He was President of New Center Council for 13 years, and apparently is also a partner in the Northern Lights Lounge on Baltimore and Second Avenue.

i keep hearing people complaining about the name. ye olde butcher shoppe properly spoken is simply, "the old butcher shop"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_[[letter)

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Michael has done great things in the city. His brother/co-owner of YOBS Peter, also has a great Detroit pedigree and dedication: he owns and operates the Gourmet Deli in the Ren Cen.

I stopped by YOBS last Friday night, was pretty impressed the store was clean and had a larger selection of products that i expected to find. I'll try and patronize the store whenever i am in town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2