Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Everyone's aware of the city's ills.

Now, whether everyone chooses to acknowledge those ills, or allow those ills to dictate their lives, is a different story.
    Wrong again......Everyone like who? I know older people who don't watch the news, not because of ignorance but because they don't watch television. I know 25-30 year olds that don't read the newspaper simply because reading is not their cup of tea. I know people who only go online to read facebook and to update their status messages. You may not like his antics but because of them there are numerous people being made aware of the problems that they weren't aware of before. My point of view is that of a 35 year old African-American who travels in various circles throughout the city.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Wrong again......Everyone like who? I know older people who don't watch the news, not because of ignorance but because they don't watch television. I know 25-30 year olds that don't read the newspaper simply because reading is not their cup of tea. I know people who only go online to read facebook and to update their status messages. You may not like his antics but because of them there are numerous people being made aware of the problems that they weren't aware of before. My point of view is that of a 35 year old African-American who travels in various circles throughout the city.
    I'm confused. If these people don't watch the news, how would they see LeDuff?

superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I'm confused. If these people don't watch the news, how would they see LeDuff?
    Because of his methods more people are watching and becoming more informed, get it? Word of mouth is powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    You don't seriously believe anything you're posting, do you?

I think a poster on here said it best before, everyone in Detroit [[if not Metro Detroit) probably suffers from undiagnosed PTSD because of the absolutely devastating decline that has happened throughout the city over the last 50 years.

The older folks I've actually spoken to are steaming mad that the days of them being able to go downtown on Woodward and shop for an entire day at luxurious, huge department stores such as Hudson's and Crowley's are long gone while their friends and families in Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc. still have that luxury. They're steaming mad that the dense, urban neighborhoods that their family and friends used to call home have essentially been wiped out in their entirety and have reverted back to nature while this has not in the case for the most part in cities such as Chicago, Philadelphia, NYC, etc.

The younger folks are steaming mad that they must walk down city streets that are not lit, lined with nothing but urban prairies and/or vacant homes to stand at bus stops and wait for buses in the middle of January that will take 30 minutes arrive so they take another 30 minute-1 hour to attend school across town that have classroom sizes of at least 40 kids and limited/outdated books because their neighborhood school was shuttered, while their suburban counterparts, or even their counterparts in other major cities such as Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc., only take a 5-10 minute stroll from their home down well-lit streets densely lined with occupied homes.

But you know what? When you as an older person don't know if your next social security or medicare check is going to even arrive, or when you as a teenager don't even know if you'll be able to afford to pay for college or find a job earning a decent wage, focusing on the ADDITIONAL negative problems in Detroit will only drag you down more. No one likes the conditions in Detroit, but they make the best of it and continue on with their lives, as Detroit is still their home and they realize they're not much as individuals that they can do to fix the city's ills, so there's no point in focusing on them or complaining about them 24/7.

To sum everything up, It's not that most folks DON'T know about the dire situation in Detroit, rather they try their best to dissociate their minds from it and try to create their own alternative view of Detroit to soothe the stress they're experiencing, if that makes sense. That's how all humans deal with traumatic events.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-28-12 at 11:46 PM.

GUSHI Guest

They voted for young and kk, maybe they should take the bus and move north of 8 mile, like so many other Detroiter's,

superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    You don't seriously believe anything you're posting, do you?

I think a poster on here said it best before, everyone in Detroit [[if not Metro Detroit) probably suffers from undiagnosed PTSD because of the absolutely devastating decline that has happened throughout the city over the last 50 years.

The older folks I've actually spoken to are steaming mad that the days of them being able to go downtown on Woodward and shop for an entire day at luxurious, huge department stores such as Hudson's and Crowley's are long gone while their friends and families in Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc. still have that luxury. They're steaming mad that the dense, urban neighborhoods that their family and friends used to call home have essentially been wiped out in their entirety and have reverted back to nature while this has not in the case for the most part in cities such as Chicago, Philadelphia, NYC, etc.

The younger folks are steaming mad that they must walk down city streets that are not lit, lined with nothing but urban prairies and/or vacant homes to stand at bus stops and wait for buses in the middle of January that will take 30 minutes arrive so they take another 30 minute-1 hour to attend school across town that have classroom sizes of at least 40 kids and limited/outdated books because their neighborhood school was shuttered, while their suburban counterparts, or even their counterparts in other major cities such as Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc., only take a 5-10 minute stroll from their home down well-lit streets densely lined with occupied homes.

But you know what? When you as an older person don't know if your next social security or medicare check is going to even arrive, or when you as a teenager don't even know if you'll be able to afford to pay for college or find a job earning a decent wage, focusing on the ADDITIONAL negative problems in Detroit will only drag you down more. No one likes the conditions in Detroit, but they make the best of it and continue on with their lives, as Detroit is still their home and they realize they're not much as individuals that they can do to fix the city's ills, so there's no point in focusing on them or complaining about them 24/7.

To sum everything up, It's not that most folks DON'T know about the dire situation in Detroit, rather they try their best to dissociate their minds from it and try to create their own alternative view of Detroit to soothe the stress they're experiencing, if that makes sense. That's how all humans deal with traumatic events.
    I do believe it, wholeheartedly in fact. Your perspective and my perspective clearly varies, to make a blanket statement that what Charlie Leduff is reporting on the news is old hat that EVERYBODY in Detroit is aware simply isn't true. My point is this and then I'm done, don't assume just because you are well informed, that means everybody else is in the know. My point about Mr. Leduff is that his unorthodox methods of shining the light on problems this city has is simply getting more people to sit up and pay attention that would otherwise not pay attention to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3