Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by NewportNic View Post
    The problem is too much spending per resident, getting more money from the Fed only delays the inevitable.
    Yes.

This is the major point of contention. There is a large camp that believes that all of this is only a shortage of money due to the current economic crisis.

I believe it is structural. Fixing will require structural changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I'm starting to think Bing is ineffective as mayor and part of the problem.
    Mayor Bing led us to believe that he would have a leadership style that would be transformational in nature when in reality he has a transactional style of leadership. That in itself is not bad, but that is not the kind of leader the city needs right now.

Did this circle around? WARM released a full inventory and valuation of the materials they recovered from deconstructing [[instead of demolishing) a 2-story house in Hamtram. $40k at wholesale prices. Elsewhere [[Model D, I think) they're quoted as saying it cost about $20k to deconstruct it.

Even if those numbers are off -- if the recovered materials from future deconstructs will be worth less [[many of the houses which need to be demoed have burned, etc), and the labor were to cost more -- that's at least one full-time employee for a year. $20k = $400/wk for 50 weeks, or $10/hour full time for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    Did this circle around? WARM released a full inventory and valuation of the materials they recovered from deconstructing [[instead of demolishing) a 2-story house in Hamtram. $40k at wholesale prices. Elsewhere [[Model D, I think) they're quoted as saying it cost about $20k to deconstruct it.

Even if those numbers are off -- if the recovered materials from future deconstructs will be worth less [[many of the houses which need to be demoed have burned, etc), and the labor were to cost more -- that's at least one full-time employee for a year. $20k = $400/wk for 50 weeks, or $10/hour full time for a year.
    The house that was deconstructed was pretty big and had plenty of valuable material to salvage. I walked around in it while the students were hard at work.

WARM has a whole training and certification program dedicated to deconstruction and wants to open a store to sell all the reuseable materials. Imagine having your floors replaced with beautiful 60+ yr old hardwoods you can't find in any store!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3