Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The downtown hotel market, not unlike the rest of downtown, seems to be event driven. It appears to do as well or better weekends than weekdays, especially in the summer. The Crowne Plaza chain focuses on the business market and will struggle with the limited corporate business downtown. The small rooms don't help either. There still are not that many events at Cobo that book a couple of thousand rooms. It shares the same reservation system as Holiday Inns so I have a feeling there will be some price wars with the Holiday Inn Express, which almost lost their franchise recently. I hope it makes it but I just don't see the market yet.
    I think the downtown Detroit market has improved considerably in the past year if price of rooms are any indication. I check orbitz.com and hotels.com from time to time for prices and I have witnessed prices going up significantly in the past year downtown. I was even comparing prices in downtown Detroit to downtown Chicago, and the avg price for a room in downtown Detroit was more for several different date ranges!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I think they got tired of me getting drunk and peeing in it!
    It was a helluva nice fountain, didn't matter who PP'ed in it, I wasn't drinking out of it, so who cared?

January 30, 2013 at 1:00 am
    Former Pontchartrain among spring hotel openings near Detroit area convention centers

Detroit's once-landmark Pontchartrain Hotel, now a shuttered eyesore, is slated to reopen in April as an upscale Crowne Plaza property.

It is scheduled to be joined by a Hyatt Place at the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi later in the spring. The two hotels will add nearly 500 rooms to the recovering Metro Detroit hotel scene, which at least one hotel expert expects won't experience as much growth as it did in 2012.

The larger of the two additions is the 25-story, 371-room Crowne Plaza building — known in its heyday as "The Pontch" — which is across the street from Cobo Center, Detroit's convention center.

Built it in 1965, it was a luxury hotel frequented by celebrities and wealthy business people. George H. W. Bush, for example, watched on a television at the Pontch in 1980 when Ronald Reagan made a surprise, late-night appearance to Republican National Convention delegates at Joe Louis Arena, announcing Bush would be Reagan's vice-presidential running mate.

At its height, the area's elite watched outdoor concerts and the annual Freedom Festival fireworks from the second-floor patio. And a special night-on-the-town wasn't complete without a view from the "Top of the Pontch" nightclub and restaurant.

It last operated as the Detroit Riverside Hotel and struggled for years under different names. Court-appointed receiver David Findling shut it in July 2009 when the air conditioning system failed. A Mexican developer last year bought the building.

"The deal really shows the impact of an expanded Cobo and convention business in Detroit," said Bill Bohde, a senior vice president of the city's convention bureau.

Cobo Center is midway through a $299 million renovation that will have added 22,500 square feet of exhibition space and other amenities. Last year, Cobo's convention, trade show and meeting business doubled to $200 million in bookings, compared with $94 million in 2011, according to convention officials.

The Crowne Plaza is considered an upscale hotel, catering to business travelers and the meetings and conventions market. It is part of the InterContinental Hotels Group, which include InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts. The chain operates in 52 countries; its hotels usually are in city centers, resorts or near major airports.

"I think because of its prime location and the fact that the Crowne Plaza uses the Holiday Inn reservation system, this hotel can work really well downtown," said industry analyst Charles Skelton, president of Ann Arbor-based Hospitality Advisors.

The hotel's location has historical significance because the original Fort Pontchartrain was established near it.

The Crowne Plaza development would be the second new hotel planned for downtown. Michigan's first Aloft Hotel, part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, is expected to open by 2014 in the empty David Whitney building on Woodward in Grand Circus Park.

The scheduled hotel openings follow increased Metro Detroit room bookings in 2012 that resulted in the region's highest occupancy rate since 2000 at 61.9 percent, according to Smith Travel Research, a Tennessee firm that monitors the industry.

December seemed particularly brisk with a nearly 11 percent uptick in revenue per room and a 4.3 percent gain in occupancy to 51.4 percent — the best December rate since 1999, according to STR.

For the year, the Detroit area's revenue per room, a key measure for hotels, increased 7.1 percent to $49.20. The average daily rate rose to $79.51, a 3.7 percent hike from 2011.

"Michigan has come roaring back in the last few years and, because little to no new supply [[of rooms) has come online, things have improved," said Ron Wilson, CEO of Hotel Investment Services Inc., a Troy consulting firm.

But Wilson said he doesn't see the hotel business growing as much this year — particularly hotels like the Crowne Plaza and Hyatt Place that depend on convention traffic.

"Larger conference and convention hotels will see slowing growth the most," he said.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2JWUnrcu7

- - - - - - -

I think if Crowne Plaza actually spends some decent money to make major renovations and upgrades to this somewhat iconic piece of 1960s Detroit accommodations architecture, this could easily become a respectable and landmark place to stay downtown. Just across from Cobo, near the Riverfront and with nearby stops to the People Mover, it's in a pretty good location.

PS nobody cares about a new Hyatt in Novi.

I heard a few of the DJs on WCSX talkng this morning about having at least a plaque made to honor all of the rock bands who stayed there...or at least played there. Had some recording of one of the members of KISS saying their photo memory of the Pontch was X-Rated. I could imagine them being able to market this place to rock-n-roll fans, and concert-goers. Cobo is still going to be able to stage large music events in the arena-area after the rehab, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Cobo is still going to be able to stage large music events in the arena-area after the rehab, right?!
    I dont think so. This is from detroit2020.com

Cobo Arena, once home to the Detroit Pistons and host to concerts and major events, will become the region’s premiere banquet and event space. It will have a hydraulic lift stage to allow for dramatic vehicle introductions rinsing from the floor below. Downtown Detroit is the backdrop through a giant glass wall and terrace. To the south will be panoramic views of the Detroit River and Windsor. On the lower level of the former Cobo Arena space will be additional meeting and breakout rooms for a variety of events.

Apparently this isn't Crowne Plaza's first go-around with the Pontch?

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    Apparently this isn't Crowne Plaza's first go-around with the Pontch?

No it was a Crown Plaza before it was the 'Riverside' & Sheraton. Probably from about 1995 to early 2000's.

Great! Will be open just in time for all the ravers to defile it during DEMF. Padlocks on the fire exits anyone?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...2ea14832024e32 According to Curbed, the re-opening is quickly approaching! Get your reservations now.

Too bad the city of Windsor couldn't find a hotel chain to take over the old Radisson. Last I heard it's going to be converted into a dormitory.

So I went to check out the new Crowne Plaza Hotel Pontchartrain , and its pretty nice looking very slick . They are still working on some things they had a "soft" opening , and are still working out the kinks , i.e no hot water , ect , but I think once they figure out some things I hope it works out . on a side note .
    why didn't they put trees on Jefferson from Griswold to Washington ? on the north side of Jefferson? .
    the north side of Jefferson is so bleak :-[[ just cement :-[[ it's so hot blazing sun.
    and so cold feeling . I think if some trees were put it it would do wonders for that area .
    I was thinking from a "tourist" stand point and walking from there to campus martius . it's a ugly walk , any thoughts ?

There are places where there is not enough room for trees. What might be really cool would be to have something like a grapevine that is covering a pergola type of structure or a screen to keep peds cooler. It would take advantage of the southern facing and provide a lot of green.

I walked thru as well the other day and must admit I was impressed. Not extravagant, but quite nice and sleek. There are some cheap parts [[fake brick along the outside that is plastic), but all in all great for that part of downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    So I went to check out the new Crowne Plaza Hotel Pontchartrain , and its pretty nice looking very slick . They are still working on some things they had a "soft" opening , and are still working out the kinks , i.e no hot water , ect , but I think once they figure out some things I hope it works out . on a side note .
    why didn't they put trees on Jefferson from Griswold to Washington ? on the north side of Jefferson? .
    the north side of Jefferson is so bleak :-[[ just cement :-[[ it's so hot blazing sun.
    and so cold feeling . I think if some trees were put it it would do wonders for that area .
    I was thinking from a "tourist" stand point and walking from there to campus martius . it's a ugly walk , any thoughts ?
    It's more of a "business" hotel than a "tourist" hotel though

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's more of a "business" hotel than a "tourist" hotel though
    Actually it's a convention hotel which makes it both a business and tourist hotel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2