Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
The downtown hotel market, not unlike the rest of downtown, seems to be event driven. It appears to do as well or better weekends than weekdays, especially in the summer. The Crowne Plaza chain focuses on the business market and will struggle with the limited corporate business downtown. The small rooms don't help either. There still are not that many events at Cobo that book a couple of thousand rooms. It shares the same reservation system as Holiday Inns so I have a feeling there will be some price wars with the Holiday Inn Express, which almost lost their franchise recently. I hope it makes it but I just don't see the market yet.
I think the downtown Detroit market has improved considerably in the past year if price of rooms are any indication. I check orbitz.com and hotels.com from time to time for prices and I have witnessed prices going up significantly in the past year downtown. I was even comparing prices in downtown Detroit to downtown Chicago, and the avg price for a room in downtown Detroit was more for several different date ranges!