Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

What a stupid article.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    What else is new? Back in the 1940s and 1950s when Detroit was rolling in auto company dough, the main streets in our neighborhood [[Whittier, Harper, Kelly) got plowed during and after each snowstorm. The residential streets like Nottingham, Roxbury, Yorkshire, and Grayton did not get plowed. After the first snowstorm, you didn't see the pavement until the thaw in March. The snow just got compacted by the traffic.
    Yes, but I think we both know that is besides the point I was trying to make.

But since I'm quite sure what you say is true about your neighborhood of the past, let me bring you up to speed on the level of service my neighborhood receives after a heavy snowfall hits our streets.

The plows will pass the front of my home in CT an average of 7 TIMES. This is no exaggeration and has been going on for at least the last 3 out of 4 winters.

For work, I had to drive everywhere in Detroit proper no matter how bad the roads. Chalmers, Fenkell, John R, roads like these never saw a plow.

???

A lot of ground has been covered on this already. The article and its author are idiotic. How someone has not trapped her in a ring of salt and drown her in a sack yet, I don't know.

First, let's consider the source. This woman was given a dishonorable discharge, so to speak, for terrorizing her employees. Why she is given the microphone, I'm not sure. Maybe we can have Bashar Al-Assad write about democracy next week.

Besides what everyone has already mentioned, I'd like to point out that there is no hard data of where these newcomers are coming from. Naturally many are coming from tony suburbs. Many are also coming from out of state, many are also coming from blue-collar suburbs, and, yes, many are the children of those Detroiters [[of all races) who have stuck it out. The fact that a former senior official is, for all intents and purposes, baffled and dismayed by migration to the city speaks volumes about our leadership.

There also seems to be this false conclusion that city services are favoring them. Money has been poured into downtown for decades, before it became a hip place for whitey to live. I think she is also confusing city services for private investment, since she doesn't appear to know the difference. As much as she may like to force investors to open up shop at Fenkell and Outer Drive, they're not going to. They're investing in areas that have potential, irrespective of race. I do blame the press for writing infinite articles on Slow's, but their infatuation with white guys with half-beards doesn't necessarily reflect reality.

City services also don't favor downtown areas exclusively. The City, for all its faults, has been trying to focus services in viable areas. Living in East English Village I can't complain about the job they've done, all things considered, and we're not hipster mecca [[interestingly enough though we are seeing them). Other examples include 7 Mile and Livernois and Rosedale Park -Overwealmingly black communities that have quietly seen a reinforcement of city services and code enforcement. No, you're not going to get gold plated services in Brightmoor or 6 Mile and Gratiot. We just can't afford that. It has nothing to do with race.

more public and private resources are needed to re-vision neighborhoods beyond the downtown/midtown area..

Let's get this straight Detroit is NOT a suburb! It will never be a suburb. It as a city. The biggest city in the State of Michigan and the 11th largest in the U.S.A. I would like to see Detroit merge with Detroit so it can be the 4th largest city the U.S.A. much bigger then Los Angeles and Chicago combined.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3