Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

One thing is: He asks that all bigotry be left at the door.
    HA! Now that's funny right there.

And No, you don't have permission to read my posts over any other media.

GUSHI Guest

Were there is a will, there is a way, sick of excuses
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm not the one to make excuses for the 'segment' of folk who have little ambition to improve their lot, be it school, work or training! But hoping on the bus is not so easy... for anyone!

I too rode the buses as a child, with parents, and later as a teen and a bit in my early 20's. Have been driving since thankfully as bus transportation has become increasingly unreliable and haggard over the last 25 years.

As a teacher at a suburban community college, I've had hard working, serious students struggle to get to class and then back home or to work on the buses [[DOT and SMART).

Wait times are well beyond acceptable. Miss a bus connection, and you are done, three hours later - late to your destination.

To 'confirm' what I was hearing and seeing I was in between cars for a couple of months and had my taste of it personally. I was barely able to get to class ahead of my students! Had to take cabs often or get a ride until I purchased a replacement car.

The bus systems as it stands now is not reliable transportation. I hear some jobs are asking if you drive, if the answer is no, sometime that impacts their choice to hire you.

Good this store is thriving as everyone cannot get out to suburban grocery stores. And I am tired of the grim-grime grocers with their 'captive audience' approach to quality and pricing!

Quote Originally Posted by CalvinJam View Post
    The Son of Man will be reading some of these posts over the air tonight, and he would like to give any and everyone here the opportunity to call in and freely express your point of view.

[[It doesn't matter if your opinion of him is good or bad - he would like to hear it.)

He wanted everyone to know that if he is doing, or even teaching and believing something that is wrong, then feel free to correct him on it. He said he is not above correction.

One thing is: He asks that all bigotry be left at the door. He wants to hear what anyone here has to say; and he only asks that you hear him out too.

So again, the broadcast begins at 9 PM eastern time, and you can listen on WHPR 88.1 FM or UHF TV33/Comcast 20.

The call-in numbers are [[313) 868-0351, 868-0342, or 868-4336.

If you can't listen on radio or TV, then you can still listen in by calling into this teleconference call:

[[712) 432-0075
    Access code: 912932#

If you want to comment, simply press *6 to unmute your phone. Press *6 to mute your phone back.

The Son of Man is not inviting you because he wants to have an "insult session". That's not what this is about.

But as someone else said, it's time for everyone to treat people like people.

And for us to get to that point, we have to start talking to each other. We have to have an open line of communication.

So again, the Son of Man is inviting all of you to listen in, and if you would like to offer something in the way of criticism [[constructive or otherwise), he would really like to hear it.

As I said before this is spam and and the message is full of racism and hatred.

Eh-hmm. So much for the grocery store 'Metro Foodland' as any remaining focus here. Seemingly we have come full circle to the original intent of this thread.

That's the way of it sometimes....

[QUOTE=poobert;331717]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Very easy, Calvin...The younger blacks just were not interested in owning their own businesses. ...QUOTE]

What an absurd, uniformed, ridiculously simplistic view of history.
    That meme wasn't original with me. It was from a Washington Post column in the late 1980s by the late newspaper columnist William Raspberry [[1935-2012).

He segued into it from an observation on the lack of black street sellers on the Washington Mall where he noted all of the different nationalities selling sunglasses and other schlock on the sidewalk and very few blacks doing a business with very low capital costs and entry requirements.

He related his experiences growing up in segregation to the realities of Washington DC in the 1980s. He concluded that up and coming blacks with ambition were not going into small businesses.

I have to agree with Hermod that the major step up along with beter schools and the rest is the need to boost the black business class in the city. There has to be a nurturing and a promotional frame for potential entrepreneurs at a very young age.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4