Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Potentially HUGE Trouble for Automakers! Edible Wiring...

It is only ONE instance that I am directly aware of...but I'm putting this out there.

Apparently some of the automakers are using wiring which is insulated with a soy byproduct. They seem to be aiming to be more 'green'.

Unfortunately, they forgot about critters who may find this a nice addition to their diets.

A good friend of my girlfriend just had to have a significant portion of her WIRING HARNESS replaced...with splices everywhere, insuring the vehicle will have troubles in the future...due to an OVERNIGHT hungry-rodent infestation.

We are quite sure the mice came in during their parking outside their vacation home up north. They stayed the night, then drove to hang with us at the end of our vacation...and her troubles began that morning.

I suspect that she is not the only one who has suffered this problem, and I wonder how long this type of wiring has been used in vehicles.

She was lucky, it was covered by her insurance...but I'm sure it won't take long before their actuaries notice a distinct uptick in claims for this type of catastrophe!

I put this into the Detroit section on purpose, since her car is an American brand...although it seems to be only Dodge, so far. Other brands plagued by this are Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and Mercedes.

I found this story on-line, from 2009, so it is NOT a new problem. But her car is only SIX months old...so even though the issue was recognized three years ago, nothing has been done to fix it.

I smell a class-action lawsuit, particularly towards a company on the upswing which may not be able to weather it well.

Ugh.
    Last edited by Gannon; July-19-12 at 12:53 PM.