Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I absolutely love my Gary Fisher, its a higher end model and was given to me for free by Sumas' son. Ive riden it hard and put it away wet but it still rides like a champ.
    I do like the idea of a 3 speed. Ive never understood having 21 gears. I think Id prefer abpot 6 tops.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    So much negative energy. $500 is NOT expensive for a nice bike. Just because you buy crappy cheap bikes doesn't mean there isn't a market for nicer bikes. Just because the factory is located here doesn't mean the product will be sold locally. Just because you wouldn't buy the product doesn't mean no one will.
    Thank you. Amazing how some take positive news and then find a way to use it bash Detroit.

$500 for a bike is not an extreme price by any means. It's only 10 fill ups of gas after all.

Wow! a whole lot of anger directed at bikes all of a sudden. If you cant afford a 500$ bike well then you probably cant afford a 500$ jalopy and a tankful as Lowell says. Anyways, this is about jobs and a new venture in the city.

Agreed. I have cycled [[in another life). For my safety and comfort a better bike is worth every penny. $500 isn't too bad... and there's a marked difference between a $89 Huffy and nice center pull brake models, with a smoother gear derailleur, better cabling etc. The better bike even 'balances' better... I had the cheapys and the better...

I wish the shop all the best. As more people consider biking if not for main transpo for exercise and recreation they may do well!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Wow! a whole lot of anger directed at bikes all of a sudden. If you cant afford a 500$ bike well then you probably cant afford a 500$ jalopy and a tankful as Lowell says. Anyways, this is about jobs and a new venture in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Anyways, this is about jobs and a new venture in the city.
    Thats why the price is so high, it's that high priced Detroit labor with all the union bennies.

Well there's always the inexpensive model from Walmart made in Malaysia!

Dang what's a person to do...? I just peddle at the gym now. Problem solved......

Again, I do hope this business can make a go of it. As time goes on I am certain they will have a lower priced model...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Thats why the price is so high, it's that high priced Detroit labor with all the union bennies.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-16-12 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    He would sell more if the price of the bikes were much lower around the $200 to 300 mark. He should study the history of Henry Ford's concept of the Model T; make it affordable for the average worker and consumer. The sales will accumilate after
    That was only half of Henry Ford's concept.

He also paid his workers a fair wage so they could afford to buy his cars, in addition to them meeting their basic needs. He paid his workers the equivalent of $14-$15/hr today, without all of the taxes we have today taking away from that wage. That's exactly why people were flocking to Detroit in droves in the first place during the roaring 20s.

So I can understand the higher prices if he's going to use that to pay the Detroiters [[and not illegal immigrants) he hires a fair wage to manufacture them.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-16-12 at 12:27 AM.

Where on the west side is this place?
    I'm guessing around Greenfield and 96.

Just to reemphasize, a $500 bicycle is inexpensive. Folks who are going to buy a junker from K-Mart are not the intended consumer here, most likely. Stop by any decent bike shop and take a look at the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That was only half of Henry Ford's concept.

He also paid his workers a fair wage so they could afford to buy his cars, in addition to them meeting their basic needs. He paid his workers the equivalent of $14-$15/hr today, without all of the taxes we have today taking away from that wage. That's exactly why people were flocking to Detroit in droves in the first place during the roaring 20s.

So I can understand the higher prices if he's going to use that to pay the Detroiters [[and not illegal immigrants) he hires a fair wage to manufacture them.
    The problem got to be that the median wage and benefits package for Detroit auto workers and Pittsburgh steel workers got to be double the median wage and benefits package for other industrial workers in the United States. Since people were enslaved to their cars in most of the US, they just had to grit their teeth and pay the price.

Volkswagen and the Japanese cars in the 1960s and 1970s were significantly cheaper alternatives. Which is why the cry "buy American" registered so hollow with folks outside the Detroit area. As a Japanese auto executive noted, "It is hard for people making $10 an hour to buy a car made by people making $20 an hour".

This thread is funny. I love the naysayers' remarks, especially.

"Now, personally, I don't know much about bikes, or marketing, or what bikes cost, or who rides them, or what the differences are between different kinds of bikes. In fact, I haven't ridden a bike since I was 16 years old. Don't like 'em, in fact. But let me tell you, this business is bound to fail. Now, I haven't seen the business plan and I'm totally unfamiliar with the kind of business we're talking about, but ... it seems to me that ..."

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    He should study the history of Henry Ford's concept of the Model T; make it affordable for the average worker and consumer.
    At least he studied the part about the consumer can have it in any color they like, so long as it's black!

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I absolutely love my Gary Fisher, its a higher end model and was given to me for free by Sumas' son. Ive riden it hard and put it away wet but it still rides like a champ.
    I do like the idea of a 3 speed. Ive never understood having 21 gears. I think Id prefer abpot 6 tops.

Sports science has determined that the most efficient load on a human is imparted at 90 cycles per second [[cps). By effiecient, I mean the most body energy gets delivered to the wheels as usable work. So on a grade, one shorts the grear ratio till they find one that can be pedalled continuously at 90 cps.

On long rides over rolling terrain being maximally efficient can reduce rider fatique over a given distance.

The 10% improvement in efficiency leads to a reduction in mile time.

IOW, all this is very important to those who see ride time as the be all and end all of bicyling.

The above has less importance for casual or urban riders. Quick bursts up to speed can be enabled by the rider standing on the pedals to activate their anaerobic capacity. I can usually keep a tall gear going over short hills for about 30 seconds. The same idea holds for a stop light. Sure I could fumble through about 7 cogs while remaining seated or just stand on the cog I want and drive it up to speed.

Ride time is not even important to those who use a bike for getting fit. I have done rides with the air in my tires low on purpose to get a better workout and get used to taller ratios.

My point is that a three speed has a one underdriven, one direct and one overdriven ratio that can meet the needs of most bicylists.

If one has extra strong legs, they can change the sprocket ratios to put the direct ratio in a more sweet spot.

Bicycling is great science. I often use it to get a better understanding of how power flows in vehicle transmission systems.

A car uses a heat engine to convert fuel to usable work at its output shaft. A human converts food to usable work that is delivered to the drive pedals.

I'll spend $500 on a good bike all day long. I hope he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Actually there are two. One is in Cleveland. Doesn't it look like fun? Here's the site, the other is in Milwaukee:

http://www.raysmtb.com/

That looks like a lot of fun. What is neat about it is that one can just show up and get a rental. It would be a nice draw for those visiting downtown Detroit, particularly in the winter months. Its not like there is a dearth of large bulidings with lots of square footage.

Anyhow, it is good to see that bicycling has drawn some interest here.

Bicycling is part of our history. Barney Oldfield started out as a bicycle racer.

I was lucky enough to pick up one of the free bikes yesterday and was able to check out the shop a little. Its a HUGE space. As I understand theyre looking for a plumber and metal fabricator to hire if anyones looking.
    Love the bike, vey lightweight, one front handbrake on the left and the three speed shifter on the right. No kickstand so I didnt have to bother with removing it, and has front and rear mud guards. It also has the old school pedal brake so there is no fly wheel. I dont have a pic of it yet but will try and put one up soon If I can remember how to post pics here again. They are all flat black beach cruiser type but with road tires. Also has a rear luggage rack. Cant wait to take it out later today for a spin to Eastern Market. Congrats Zak Pashak, and thank you.

The bikes seem to be a very good value, with some unique features for the price. The details of the custom seat, with its large brass rivets along the rear edge...to the handlebars and grips...to the two-tone rims...and the mudguards and basic rear cargo carrier...all add up to a nice package for good, basic city commuting and recreation.

I loved how they are incorporating everyone's feedback into refining their design...and look forward to more things from them. It is clear this will be their bread-n-butter model, but I'm betting once they get up to speed they'll start doing some more upscale stuff. It was cool to learn they are aiming to fabricate as much of the parts as possible over the next year...or at least locally source them.

I'm cool with the three-speeds, but didn't notice if the tires are Kevlar-wraps. That might add $50 to $100 at retail, so I don't expect it...but it'd be nice to have that as a 'factory upgrade'. Because any bicycle riding around Metro Detroit should be "Diamond"-proof!

Keep an eye on that tire pressure, Django. Let me know if I have to keep that air tank in the car again.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; February-23-13 at 02:11 PM.

I thought the shinola bikes looked pretty cool... I don't think they are for sale yet but the price is steep at $2500!!!

It's really nice to see Detroit's name proudly printed on manufactured products.

Shinola.com

Well I have to admit, their website sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I thought the shinola bikes looked pretty cool... I don't think they are for sale yet but the price is steep at $2500!!!
    Where did you get that? The initial model will be $500. Made in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Well I have to admit, their website sucks.
    I write to Shinola recently and told them exactly that. Got a reply saying they were intending to fix it up and make it more readable soon.

On the Shinola blog [[msrp):
    Runwell $2,950
    Bixby $1,950

The frame and forks are sourced from Waterford. The basic Waterford frame starts at $1,500. http://waterfordbikes.com/w/ordering/price-list/

Gunnar, the more affordable line of Waterford frames, start at $900. http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/pricing/

If Shinola does start selling $500 bikes, they aren't going to have Waterford frames and forks.

Don't really see the need for that expensive of a bike, especially if your commute is 5 miles or less. If you're going to throw it on the front of a bus everyday, it's really a waste. Unless your riding sessions are over 20 miles, or you're heading to Moab to hurt yourself, you're just buying for status. I can't see the point in having to worry about someone stealing your bike everywhere you go. That would take all the fun out of riding for me. Wish him luck though.

I like the website, if it is a bit scattered in orientation. The watch face looks swell as well. Hell, just bought a damn Nixon watch that's slow. I think they have the right approach so far, just need to work on affordability a bit more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast