Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I was unaware of the collapse yesterday until I drove past it this morning. My heart quickly sank. However, it didn't stay sunk for too long because there were a lot of people running out in front of me across Trumbull with their photography gear getting some last pix. Good thing I didn't hit anyone.

OTHER GREAT MOMENTS IN DETROIT HISTORY:

1956: The last streetcar: City officials beam with pride as the last of the outdated streetcars heads for a final run down Woodward. Pleased that these obstructions to car traffic are finally out of the way, and dedicated to a new, more flexible system of gasoline-powered motor coaches, city fathers look upon the departing streetcar with happiness. They are, however, mystified at the people who are standing on the street, taking photographs and talking about how they'll miss their beloved PCC cars.

1998: Hudson's demolition: City officials beam with pride as the hulking department store is dynamited, spreading a cloud of toxic dust over the crowd assembled to see it off. Pleased that this obstruction to development is finally out of the way, and dedicated to seeing through any new promise of development for the lot, city fathers look happily upon the demise of the building. They are, however, mystified at the people gathered there, risking their health, to take one last look at the building, talking about the wonderful memories they shared there.

2009: Tiger Stadium demolition: City officials beam with pride as ...