Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    How is the outcome of this vote going to affect the level of funding available to your local police, fire, or schools one way or the other? Are your local officials proposing to raise taxes to fund those things if this millage fails? Is it even legal under Prop. A to raise property taxes to fund local schools?
    You can only squeeze so much juice from an orange and we've really been squeezed over the last few years. My community renewed a millage for our police department a few years back, but it barely passed and may not next time around when taxpayers are faced with paying operating expenses for the Zoo and possibly another tax for the DIA. On my August ballot there is also a proposal for funding local road reconstruction, and honestly I get a lot more use out of my local roads than I do the DIA. As I have said numerous times, I'm not against regional funding for the DIA, but times are tough and there are other more pressing issues that communities need to deal with first.

As far as I know under Prop A regular operating expenses are separated from others, and local taxes can not be increased to add to operating expenses. Local millages can be used to raise funding for repairs, improvements and new construction.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-20-12 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Your question gets at the very heart of the problem. An art museum will never be an "essential function" in any city because basic city services are more important. ...
    Life is not only made of essential functions.

I found the Sunday Detroit Free Press coverage full of helpful information...

1. The push for a millage: Detroit Institute of Arts' past puts its future in jeopardy http://www.freep.com/article/20120722/ENT05/207220515
    2. Millage Q&A: http://www.freep.com/article/2012072...ON05/207220456
    3. Editorial: Don’t let the DIA shut down http://www.freep.com/article/2012072...ON01/207220454
    4. Commentary: http://www.freep.com/article/2012072...k-to-childhood
    5. Voices: http://www.freep.com/article/2012072...ON01/207220454
    Last edited by Kathleen; July-23-12 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Life is not only made of essential functions.
    Yes, but the best things in life are free.

I like what L. Brooks Paterson has to say about the millage:

"There's no major city in the world without a major museum," said Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson, a prominent Republican who supports the millage."Taxes go to projects that are worthy, whether we use them or not," Patterson said, noting that when he travels around the world to recruit business, he is always asked about schools, neighborhoods and cultural amenities. "The DIA is a huge opportunity for me to answer that question in a positive way. It's an economic development tool for me."

If even Brooks supports it, why would anyone else not?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    If even Brooks supports it, why would anyone else not?
    Because the right wing has moved to the right of L. Brooks, as seen in the Tea Party and such TP-supported pols as Janice Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Yes, but the best things in life are free.
    ...or paid for by someone else's tax dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ...or paid for by someone else's tax dollars.
    Why don't you go to the paradise that is tax-free Somalia?

Bailout arts and humanities. Vote YES YES YES! for the county millage.

I don't understand the commercials. "Chocolate chip cookies"??????

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I don't understand the commercials. "Chocolate chip cookies"??????
    Interestingly, I came to post the same, after seeing that stupid commercial for what feels like the millionth time. I'm not getting the connection between art and cookies, at all. They really should re-think their advertising strategy, because that line drowns out every other thing said in the commercial. If the DIA is handing out free cookies to visitors, perhaps they should save a few dollars by cutting that out, even if they do get the millage passed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7