Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    No one wants to talk about that as a factor in brain drain.
    Yeah, because the people doing the talking are the same ones who are causing the damn problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I understand what you're saying, Hermod. The ability to make a living is first and foremost . But for people who have choices [[i.e. the folks Detroit seems to have difficulty retaining and attracting), Quality of Life is a close second. Hell, in some cases, Quality of Life is first. I've met a whole slew of people who have moved somewhere, and then decided to find a job--even if that means underemployment.

It's a far different market than that of the 1940s. Not too many 20-and-30-somethings have an army of six children to feed.

With my profession, I can live anywhere in the country I choose. If I were offered a job in say, Anniston, Alabama that paid double the salary, I would most assuredly turn it down. There just wouldn't be enough to engage me the other 128 hours of the week.
    Studies show that this is true of the vast majority of skilled workers [[the only kind with much of a chance in the new economy). If you are a welder or a dentist or a car repair person or a computer programmer, you can find work almost anywhere. So you move to where you want to live; then if somebody wants to hire you, they had better be there as well.

Unfortunately almost nobody in our regional political class understands this. You can only attract small businesses - which do over 80% of the hiring nowadays - by creating a place that will be attractive to talent. We have no [very bad word] idea around here.

This is not a new tax. It is a renewal of a millage already passed. NOTE THIS! We already agreed to and are paying this tax. Why not keep on paying it, since our property taxes did go down this year?

Making the DIA free does not sound like a good idea to me. What if it becomes over run just because its free. How will this affect operating cost? More security,maintenance, staff, all could add huge costs. Is this unlimited free admission? I haven't heard anyone address this issue.

Just an aside about the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.... it's the world's grreatest museum with 2nd tier artwork.

Most of the world's greatest art has been locked up in major museums for decades, if not centuries. What the Getty has.... is the deep pockets to buy up the lower tier works by major and minor masters.

However, the Getty has an unsurpassable conservation department.

But any comparison of the Getty and DIA is unfair [[to the Getty)....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Just an aside about the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.... it's the world's grreatest museum with 2nd tier artwork.

Most of the world's greatest art has been locked up in major museums for decades, if not centuries. What the Getty has.... is the deep pockets to buy up the lower tier works by major and minor masters.

However, the Getty has an unsurpassable conservation department.

But any comparison of the Getty and DIA is unfair [[to the Getty)....
    LOL True dat! But let me tell ya, both Gettys are beyond beautiful places to visit. They also have to generate an incredible amount of tourist traffic. For example, it takes a day and a half to see both of them. In order to see them properly it required a hotel room on my part even though my sister lives in the county to the south.

Granted the art there does not compare to what you will find at Detroit or even Toledo, but would I go again? In a heartbeat!

I too would like to visit the 2 Getty Museum's DP. If only for the architecture! The Getty's world class conservation department is also being used by other museums for restoration work, which is a win-win for other museums.

Zoo Millage:
    Oakland County - 74.9%
    Wayne County - 73.1%
    Macomb County - 66.5%

I think that is proof enough that despite the Johnnny5s of the region, most voters understand the need for regional support of our regional treasures.

I think that a mileage is a super idea. How many people can't afford $15 a year?

Although I made it clear in my opening post that the suburban millage was for the DIA my Thread heading has been changed from "for Detroit" to "for DIA" My thinking was; If Detroit City made any payments to the board that runs the DIA to be used in the funding of the DIA then the Suburbs Millage given to the DIA reduces that Detroit need to give from their own funds.This means Detroit will benefit from a millage collected in the suburbs to be given to DIA.
    Although I'm told Detroit does not own the DIA it would be interesting to see who gets the proceeds if [[God forbid) it were sold in bankruptcy as was mooted in an earlier Thread?
    Last edited by coracle; July-11-12 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    Zoo Millage:
    Oakland County - 74.9%
    Wayne County - 73.1%
    Macomb County - 66.5%

I think that is proof enough that despite the Johnnny5s of the region, most voters understand the need for regional support of our regional treasures.

I suspect that the millage will pass as well. Mainly because of the questionable wording and it's place on the August ballot. That being said, I see quite a difference between the smaller regional millage for the Zoo [[A tax which I voted to support) and a millage for the DIA. The Detroit Zoo was actually in danger of having to close its doors and our local communities were not facing financial collapse when the zoo tax was proposed. The DIA is not facing a possible closure and still has a sizable endowment along with a massive collection of artwork that could be monetized if their financial situation seriously deteriorated [[And I don't mean sold off).

It's not that I don't see the value in the DIA and if this tax was the only way to ensure that it could weather the downturn I would not have an issue with supporting it. My main issue is that adding a tax to support a luxury like the DIA is not appropriate when essential services like police, fire and other quality of life services are being cut to the bone. Until these issues are corrected there's no way I'm voting to give the last drop of water in my canteen to an establishment that has two canteens full of water behind their back.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-11-12 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Although I'm told Detroit does not own the DIA it would be interesting to see who gets the proceeds if [[God forbid) it were sold in bankruptcy as was mooted in an earlier Thread?
    Detroit does own the DIA. Detroit does not manage the DIA alone.

First off , I am for a millage for the DIA, but for all the folks saving I don't want to be force to pay for something I don't use [[insert sarcasm from here) Go ahead close the DIA , while you at it close the ZOO, I don't go there either, Close COBO I never go , why should I care if they close it ? While were at it , I rarely use Metro airport why should I help pay for that? oh and also . I never go to the metro parks or ANY state park. I've only been on m59 and M53 twice my entire life, why should my tax money be spent on expanding a huge freeways I never use, let the home builders pay for and build the roads their new home owners will use .
    I know times are tough , but their are somethings worth saving .
    Can you image if the DIA closes ? Driving by that amazing place and telling people "oh that used to be our regions Art institute . We are already the stepchild of the country. The entire country points to Detroit [[entire metro area) as what not to do .
    Maybe we could just pack it up and move it to Troy, Plymouth, Novi, Sterling Heights ,Southfield, Downriver, Brighton , Warren, Let them pay for the regions culture center ,well you get the picture.
    The DIA has done so much for Generations of Metro Detroiters .
    Remember most of your parents , grandparents , ect, all have either lived, or grew up in Detroit !
    The DIA belongs to them as well as you, dont' cut your nose of despite you face, don't make this a "Detroit" thing it's a metro Detroit thing.
    If you are a true Detroiter ,we take the good with the bad.
    Not just going to a tigers game and wearing a Detroit tshirt , makes you a Detroiter.
    BTW I lived in LA when they were building the Getty and have been several times . The building is amazing with unbeatable views, However the art is ... lacking . prior to that we only had the Getty in Malibu which was nice but small.
    A friend of mine that moved here from Minneapolis loves and has completely embraced Detroit , when people from her home state say "Detroit is a shit hole why are you there ?" she says, " yeah but it's my shit hole and I love it ! "
    This is it folks , make your own metro area attractive and other will respect it .
    Detroit Love !
    Last edited by Detroitdave; July-11-12 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Edit

Municipal assets can't be sold/liquidated in a Chapter 9 bankruptcy.

Under the FSA/EM provisions, municipal assets CAN be sold/liquidated.

[[by all means, correct me if I'm wrong)
    Last edited by 313WX; July-11-12 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    adding a tax to support a luxury like the DIA is not appropriate
    Haha. I remember when they wanted to levy taxes to build Comerica Park, one of the main arguments was that you can't have a modern ballpark unless you have "luxury boxes." I guess that's one "luxury" we can afford in this region, eh?

Although I made it clear in my opening post that the suburban millage was for the DIA my Thread heading has been changed from "for Detroit" to "for DIA" My thinking was; If Detroit City made any payments to the board that runs the DIA to be used in the funding of the DIA then the Suburbs Millage given to the DIA reduces that Detroit need to give from their own funds.This means Detroit will benefit from a millage collected in the suburbs to be given to DIA.
    Your thinking is based on inaccurate information. The City of Detroit does not subsidize the DIA's operations.
    Today the DIA does not receive any funds from the state, city or county. The elimination of all public funding for operations has required the museum to turn almost entirely to the private sector, an operating model that is not sustainable, particularly in the current economy.
    The museum's ultimate goal is to become financially self-sustaining. After considerable research and evaluation, a dedicated millage to temporarily restore public funding for the DIA, which would allow fundraising to focus on building an operating endowment, was identified as the most viable option to guarantee the DIA's continuing viability and eventual non-reliance on public funding.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: I'm just trying to understand this city-suburb thing that goes on here. Where I'm from, the urban center is considered an asset, a lively place where investment benefits us all. Why is there so much hostility toward the city in this region?

SUBURBAN DETROITER: Well, it's because Detroit is a total shithole, with rotten services, a bankrupt government, terrible schools, and buses that don't run on time. Even the art museum might close.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Well, maybe this region could do what other regions do: Find ways for the region to help fund better services, improve schools and transit, and help buoy that art museum. When you invest in cities ...

SUBURBAN DETROITER: They'll have to pry that money from my cold, dead fingers! I make it a point to oppose anything that takes my money to help that shithole!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Oh, my ...

Nerd, you need to come to one of the picnics....that was hilarious!

Stromberg2

I don't trust any polls trying to show how this proposal will do in the Fall elections. It's easy to say you'll vote 'yes' before you stare at a ballot that's filled with tax increases attacking your wallet from every angle. With Police, fire, schools, Colleges, and museums, on the ballot, I still say this will not be an easy sell, even if it's a worthy cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I don't trust any polls trying to show how this proposal will do in the Fall elections. It's easy to say you'll vote 'yes' before you stare at a ballot that's filled with tax increases attacking your wallet from every angle. With Police, fire, schools, Colleges, and museums, on the ballot, I still say this will not be an easy sell, even if it's a worthy cause.
    This is a great point. There is a line in the sand somewhere... pretty soon people are going to vote a new type of straight ticket... "NO".

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Nerd, you need to come to one of the picnics....that was hilarious!
    Shucks, thanks stromberg. Just a way of releasing tension and [[I hope) amusing others. Might show my face someday.

This is NOT a tax INCREASE. It is a renewal of a tax we already agreed to pay and are paying.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    This is NOT a tax INCREASE. It is a renewal of a tax we already agreed to pay and are paying.
    Do you happen to have a link showing that this is a renewal of an existing millage?

All the online references I have seen show this as a new 10 year .2 mill tax specifically tied to the DIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Do you happen to have a link showing that this is a renewal of an existing millage?

All the online references I have seen show this as a new 10 year .2 mill tax specifically tied to the DIA.
    At least as far as Wayne County is concerned, it is a new millage. The language on the WC ballot is:

"The Wayne County Art Institute Authority was established pursuant to Public Act 296 of 2010 and formed to allow for continuing support of art institute services for the students, residents and visitors of Wayne County. The law allows the Authority to seek authorization from the electors to levy a tax of not more than 0.2 mill [[20 cents per $1,000 of taxable value) on real and personal property to provide revenue to an art institute services provider for this purpose. Accordingly, to continue providing art institute services to benefit the residents of the County, shall a 0.2 mill on all of the taxable property located within the County be imposed for a period of ten [[10) years, being years 2012 through 2021? It is estimated that if approved and levied, this new millage would generate approximately $8,284,722 in 2012."

OK, the wording is confusing. I can post a link. I have read it both ways. I think it is continuing but the amount might be new. It never mentions DIA at all. Do they TRY to confuse us?

This is for Oakland County:

https://www.cityofsouthfield.com/Por...0Proposals.pdf

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast