Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think the wording is misleading as well but so is your title. It isn't a millage for Detroit. It is for the DIA. They're entirely separate. The only world-class art museum in the state happens to be in Detroit [[because major cities are typically where arts and culture are). I don't see how the residents of Oakland County would expect it to stay a nice place to live if we were to lose our only major art institute.
    Who owns the DIA and who pays its Operating coasts?

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    From 9 posts above:
    Today, 09:20 AM
    corktownyuppie

Join DateApr 2011Posts1,030

Originally Posted by Bham1982
    I agree it's a regional asset, but then it should probably be under regional control. Detroit should have no authority over the building or the collection.

The DIA transferred museum management last decade to a nonprofit operating authority, governed by a board of directors from the tri-county area. Detroit will have no authority over the building or the collection.

I am pro-regional funding. But I am also pro-regional control.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Apparently you didn't read the thread.

It's kind of sad when people will be willing to reject a $5-15 a year tax to keep an art museum open. I would also vote for the same millage for the Henry Ford or Detroit Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    It's kind of sad when people will be willing to reject a $5-15 a year tax to keep an art museum open. I would also vote for the same millage for the Henry Ford or Detroit Zoo.

Is the DIA actually in danger of closing? Before I support a regional tax I would like to see evidence that they are is such dire straits, and see what other attempts have made to save money or increase funding by other means.

Have they looked at other cost savings? Have employees of the DIA been asked for salary concessions? Have they been asked to pay more for their health insurance or been forced to take unpaid leave days? I know many local government employees including teachers, police officers and fire fighters that have had to make these sacrifices and before I vote to add a tax to fund the DIA I'd like to see that my tax dollars should go there instead of to support struggling essential services. I'm aware that it's only $15 on average, but how many police officers would that pay for in my community?

How about those in communities such as Allen Park or Pontiac where the local government is near bankrupt and have been forced to reduce police and fire services? Does it make sense to people in those communities to fund the DIA when they can't even be assured that their communities will remain solvent?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Boy, that's something you can feel good about. Thanks for voting against our art museum, champ.
    I'm not voting against "our art museum". I'm voting against an added regional tax when it has not been proven to me that it is necessary or prudent.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-10-12 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Is the DIA actually in danger of closing? Before I support a regional tax I would like to see evidence that they are is such dire straits, and see what other attempts have made to save money or increase funding by other means.

Have they looked at other cost savings? Have employees of the DIA been asked for salary concessions? Have they been asked to pay more for their health insurance or been forced to take unpaid leave days? I know many local government employees including teachers, police officers and fire fighters that have had to make these sacrifices and before I vote to add a tax to fund the DIA I'd like to see that my tax dollars should go there instead of to support struggling essential services. I'm aware that it's only $15 on average, but how many police officers would that pay for in my community?

How about those in communities such as Allen Park or Pontiac where the local government is near bankrupt and have been forced to reduce police and fire services? Does it make sense to people in those communities to fund the DIA when they can't even be assured that their communities will remain solvent?

I'm not voting against "our art museum". I'm voting against an added regional tax when it has not been proven to me that it is necessary or prudent.
    If you had actually done YOUR homework as a citizen of a democracy before ALREADY DECIDING TO VOTE NO you would have answers to nearly all of those questions as they have been readily available online and in print for some time now.

Regarding the "people who don’t use it shouldn’t have to pay for it" line, well, I don't have kids in public school but I'm happy to pay my taxes for schools - do you know why? BECAUSE I BELIEVE WE SHOULD HAVE SCHOOLS.

Don't give me this sanctimonious crap about being the voice for the downtrodden. It's going to cost your average person less than $10 per year. If that's what puts you behind on your mortgage, then you've got a lot more to worry about than this millage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Apparently you didn't read the thread.

We've already passed a millage for the zoo, and we even still have to pay to go in there.

I have an issue with these millages. While some people value going to the zoo and the DIA, other people don't. Passing a millage just forces everyone to pay for it.

Some people don't ever want to go to the DIA. Perhaps they're not interested. Perhaps they live so far away [[for example, northern Macomb or Oakland County) that it's not on their list of things to do.

Forcing everyone to pay for it doesn't make sense.

What we can do is pass the cost directly onto the people that utilize it via admission fees.

If you feel it's a noble cause, go ahead and donate to it. But I'll be voting no any millage because I don't feel that others should be forced to pay for something they may or may not use.

I do make trips to the DIA and plan to take my children there, but I don't want to do it on the backs of people who don't want to go.

Ultimately the voters will decide if it's acceptable to force everyone to pay so that much smaller subset can enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    We've already passed a millage for the zoo, and we even still have to pay to go in there.

I have an issue with these millages. While some people value going to the zoo and the DIA, other people don't. Passing a millage just forces everyone to pay for it.

Some people don't ever want to go to the DIA. Perhaps they're not interested. Perhaps they live so far away [[for example, northern Macomb or Oakland County) that it's not on their list of things to do.

What we can do is pass the cost directly onto the people that utilize it via admission fees.

If you feel it's a noble cause, go ahead and donate to it. But I'll be voting no any millage because I don't feel that others should be forced to pay for something they may or may not use.

I do make trips to the DIA and plan to take my children there, but I don't want to do it on the backs of people who don't want to go.

Ultimately the voters will decide if it's acceptable to force everyone to pay so that much smaller subset can enjoy.

Let us know when you've installed the toll gates on every road in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Let us know when you've installed the toll gates on every road in the state.
    B-b-b-b-b-but roads are necessary! We need roads so we can travel! [[Apparently, not too far though. If we're out in northern Macomb County, there are some things we have to cross off the list of things to do!) Beautiful, beautiful roads paid for by gas taxes across the state, shimmering lanes of concrete, with gorgeous, gorgeous cars driving back and forth, back and forth, filled with hefty people out to buy a stick of butter or a loaf of bread, one trip at a time. That's ... my god ... it's beautiful.

But we don't need no stinkin' frills like an art museum. If they wanted people to go there, why didn't they build it in Auburn Hills, surrounded by a big parking lot!

[[end irony)

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post

My kids aren't in school anymore. I know for a fact I won't be sending anyone to Utica schools. Why do I need to pay school taxes? Also, why do I need to pay taxes for Metro Beach? I never drive on 94 in Macomb County, why should I pay for that?