Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    This will be about as effective as peeing on a wildfire. The city needs at least 200 more patrol cops, the same for fire and EMS. We need beat cops where it would be practical
    Maybe move everyone out of DPD headquarters and make them beat cops in the precincts. Let MSP run the DPD headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Detroit is within the State of Michigan. MSP is Michigan's police force. Glad to see them helping. Why can't we all just get along?

Because having the real police nearby to compare might make the city's officers look even worse?!

Plus, there must be some union conflict here...yanno, work rules and such?!

Although, I do remember that one yahoo who gunned down that homeless fellow McGoo a number of years ago. He was no choir boy, nor even a boy scout. He was a trigger-happy adrenaline-buzzed testosterone sack.

So, not ALL State Police have shining armor...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    So, not ALL State Police have shining armor...
    Nope.

July 10, 2012

SAULT STE. MARIE - The Michigan State Police post commander in Gladstone was arrested for drunken driving in Chippewa County over the weekend, according to county officials there.
    http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com...-arrested.html

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Its a pretty regular thing here for people to point out the imperfections in others. Its also pretty boring. Its also pointless.

I think anyone rational can agree that the MSP is a pretty good organization. And DPD has a spotty record of late. But has a great history as well. I'm sure they'll improve over time. And this matters not. We work with what we have -- and the best among us strive to improve. Others tear down.

Its a pretty regular thing here for people to point out the imperfections in others. Its also pretty boring. Its also pointless.

I think anyone rational can agree that the MSP is a pretty good organization. And DPD has a spotty record of late. But has a great history as well. I'm sure they'll improve over time. And this matters not. We work with what we have -- and the best among us strive to improve. Others tear down.
    Any added law enforcement should be seen as a positive. Detroit needs all it can get! IMO they could have another 800 cops in the city.

Michigan State Police will put 12 troopers on the ground, along with two sergeants and a lieutenant. They will also be providing investigative support.
    Am I the only one that thinks this is a little top-heavy with management? One sergeant for 6 troopers? One lieutenant to supervise 2 sergeants? Thank goodness the state is so much more efficient and fiscally responsible than the city.

12 Troopers, 2 Sergeants, and 1 Lieutenant in a 24/7 world and days off [[yes, I'd give them two a week) is not fat by any means.

Now, if they volunteer to actually all work 24/7 and give up time off, maybe you could cut one sergeant.

Ray, I'm glad you weighed in. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is, would the sergeants and lieutenant do some basic police work alongside the troopers? If that's the case, I guess I'm ok with it. But if they're just there to be bosses, it still appears bloated to me. Is this the typical ratio with a larger force, or is it skewed because of the relatively small number of troopers?

Ratio is about right. A squad of infantry has one sergeant for eight men, but one of them is a corporal and helps out on the administration or direction. Holds about true for any semi-military organization.

A sergeant worth his salt does his share of the bull work, and has the added responsibility of administration and decision making. A lieutenant rarely gets out into the public area except at lunch time.

I've known some sergeants in my day in the DPD who were goldbricks and avoided conflicts at all costs. But they were few and far between, with most of them ready, willing, and able to do their share. And a lot of lieutenants spent most of their time with their noses up some Inspector's ass, looking for the next promotion, but some didn't play that game and were respected by the troops.

Pretty much the same in the private sector, frankly, and I've been on both sides of that fence.

^^Thanks, Ray.

...Other than writing speeding tickets on the freeway, they don't really have much experience policing urban areas...
    the MSP are 'the regular cops' in many MANY places where there are no police departments and they handle all of the mundane, run of the mill calls that dont make the police blotter...

Horace Guest

it won't be long before the perps will be crying about po-lice brutality. it's money wasted.

IAnd DPD has a spotty record of late. But has a great history as well. I'm sure they'll improve over time.
    "Passage of time" does not automatically cause improvement.

It is like the old saying, "All things come to he who sits and waits." needs the proviso that "so long as he works like hell while he sits and waits".

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Have any MSP troopers shot a girl at a party and then claimed that it was from a hug? You don't hear about THAT kind of stuff going on with MSP at least. With DPD, we've seen everything from cops extorting sex from hookers on the job to stealing drugs from the evidence lockup to resell on the street. Hell, if the only misconduct that DPD was guilty of was a few off-duty DUIs, I'd consider that a marked improvement. There's a reason why DPD is under DOJ monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Horace View Post
    it won't be long before the perps will be crying about po-lice brutality. it's money wasted.
    Why would what the 'perps will be crying about' matter?

I'm quite glad to see the State step up to the table. I also think its good that they are doing so lightly. Get in the game. Experience. Adjust. Then if you need to increase force later, you're much better prepared. Waiting until things are at a crisis is usually a bad idea.

Horace Guest

Why would what the 'perps will be crying about' matter?

I'm quite glad to see the State step up to the table. I also think its good that they are doing so lightly. Get in the game. Experience. Adjust. Then if you need to increase force later, you're much better prepared. Waiting until things are at a crisis is usually a bad idea.
    short memory? the likes of sharpton and jackson will come to town and crusade for the criminals who are being 'mistreated'.
    as far as the state 'stepping up'; millions have been spent on these minority neighborhoods. minorities are in power. have things gotten better?
    i don't want my tax dollars spent on anything detroit.
    take the money and build prisons and hire cops.
    no plea bargaining. jail time to the max and no paroles.

short memory? the likes of sharpton and jackson will come to town and crusade for the criminals who are being 'mistreated'.
    And sensible people will ignore them. [[The media will celebrate them.)
    i don't want my tax dollars spent on anything detroit.
    Why not. It is your state too.
    take the money and build prisons and hire cops.
    no plea bargaining. jail time to the max and no paroles.
    Zero tolerance policies and 'tough sentencing' is stupid. But I agree that the justice system sometimes bends too far.

Wow Horace.

Just don't run for office will ya...

I was over by 6 mile/I-75 around the 4th and ran into a state trooper coming out of the hood gas station [[that I usually never patronize). It was kinda funny cuz when we crossed paths we both stopped and looked at each other, like the usual "what the hell are you doin over here?" routine. I couldn't help it because I was staring at his uniform, it was super crispy like military dress, and he was wearing CHIPS sunglasses like on TV. Feeling awkward, we both started talking at the same time, me asking if he had air in his car [[it was stupid hot) , and him asking if I knew the area and where he could get real food. Eventually, he told me that his patrol would cover the I-75 corridor between 6-96 and the Southfield Fwy for the next few weeks, Detroit being the main objective. He asked me about my backround and after I told him, I said that he will probably see me flash by him often on 75 doin 80 in the left with my Northstar so please dont stop me if it involves tickets and he laughed and said "no problem." He seemed genuinely interested in the neighborhood and also gave me the number to the tooper station that dispaches him so that if I had any trouble, I could get help from MSP directly instead of dealing with that spoof comedy show known as Detroit 911. Other people from the neighborhood were stopping and looking [[mostly at the HEMI), and he was polite and spoke to them as well.

I have to admit, that interaction went a LONG way with me. I fricken hate most cops and certainly don't trust them [[especially since the more recent trouble we've had over by State Fair), but if more of the Detroit police acted with the same courtesy that this MSP officer showed me, we'd have a lot more cooperation between the community and law enforcement, IMHO. I don't expect cops to kiss people's asses, but I think training and accountability go a long way to foster the type of mentality that these officers develop over time. I've been told that the MSP are held to the highest standards and only the most capable are accepted into their ranks. Talking to this officer, I'm more inclined to believe this is so.

That's a cool story, Gwen. It was nice to hear that he had a sense of humor, too. Cool to hear of the positive interaction with the folks. I say bring alot more of em.

Stromberg2

Well it's obviously working here in Pontiac. Was sitting here at the kitchen table about 15 minutes ago when the no-good-nik neighbor roars to a stop in front of my house and dashed inside his home. Seconds later an MSP squad car with 2 troopers chase after him and finally arrest him. About 5 minutes later another MSP car rolls in for back-up. Guy was dealing drugs and now his truck is getting towed. Until these neighbors moved in, it was a pretty quiet neighborhood. Glad to have this scum outta here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2