Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I hope they arrest whomever is doing all this graffiti.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Oh, here we go ...

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Why would they arrest anyone? The walls have been sanctioned by the building owners for these artists to paint on.........

if it will help you not get your canckles up - call them "painted murals" rather than "graffiti". they are commissioned and paid for works.

This Beautification Art only lends credit to all street art and there by justifies all the dirt bag tagging. There is no objective way to separate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    This Beautification Art only lends credit to all street art and there by justifies all the dirt bag tagging. There is no objective way to separate the two.
    There is a very objective way to separate the two: One has approval from the building owners and one does not. I have very strong opinions against taggers but this is commissioned work

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    There is a very objective way to separate the two: One has approval from the building owners and one does not. I have very strong opinions against taggers but this is commissioned work
    Now try to explain that to the taggers!!!!
    They don't see it that way!

Now try to explain that to the taggers!!!!
    They don't see it that way!
    Wheels, all this has been explained to you. Since you still refuse to accept that taggers do respect artwork, I'll just post what I posted before.

Surprisingly, that's not the case. In study after study, the evidence shows that street taggers -- people who do illegal graffiti -- are impressed by these works and do not tag a wall once it gets a treatment from a professional street artist. There are high-profile examples that prove this, from Williamsburg, Brooklyn to Wicker Park in Chicago, and locally, in our own Dequindre Cut, or the recent "Welcome to Hamtramck" mural on Joseph Campau near Hamtramck Drive, which hasn't been tagged once since it was put in. It used to be the most-frequently tagged wall in town.

You don't have to like the street art, but enough of the misleading posts already.

These are internationally respected artists.

The artists in question have permission.

All evidence suggests illegal taggers respect the artwork and don't deface it.

Frankly, you should be thanking all these people for coming to town and decorating all these blank walls.

Maybe all the taggers will get pissed and start fully painting over all of the "Art" in sold colors? Heh

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Wheels, all this has been explained to you. Since you still refuse to accept that taggers do respect artwork, I'll just post what I posted before.

Surprisingly, that's not the case. In study after study, the evidence shows that street taggers -- people who do illegal graffiti -- are impressed by these works and do not tag a wall once it gets a treatment from a professional street artist. There are high-profile examples that prove this, from Williamsburg, Brooklyn to Wicker Park in Chicago, and locally, in our own Dequindre Cut, or the recent "Welcome to Hamtramck" mural on Joseph Campau near Hamtramck Drive, which hasn't been tagged once since it was put in. It used to be the most-frequently tagged wall in town.

You don't have to like the street art, but enough of the misleading posts already.

These are internationally respected artists.

The artists in question have permission.

All evidence suggests illegal taggers respect the artwork and don't deface it.

Frankly, you should be thanking all these people for coming to town and decorating all these blank walls.

Frankly you are still missing the point. They will see their work as being justified so they can simply paint anywhere. They are not going to ask for permission and I am not talking about de facing other so called Murial's. They are just going to spread the wealth in their eyes.

Frankly you are still missing the point. They will see their work as being justified so they can simply paint anywhere. They are not going to ask for permission and I am not talking about de facing other so called Murial's. They are just going to spread the wealth in their eyes.
    Hmm..Interesting. Well what do propose to do about stopping this project and removing all the "Murial's" ?

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Hmm..Interesting. Well what do propose to do about stopping this project and removing all the "Murial's" ?
    No, and don't take my coments as being a hater. It is just my opinion and I will admit I do like some of it. Some not so much. I just don't want to see scribble everywhere.

If the building owners agreed to it and it's not against local ordinance then I have no real beef other than the fact I personally only like about 20% of it.

While it's nice the taggers respect professional graffiti artists' work by not defacing them, it would be nice if they also respected private and public property rights by not defacing things they don't own or have express permission to paint.

No, and don't take my coments as being a hater. It is just my opinion and I will admit I do like some of it. Some not so much. I just don't want to see scribble everywhere.

I understand your sentiment because I also hate that scribbled crap all over buildings and wished when they caught people doing it they were sentenced with hardcore community service. It is however, everywhere already. Studies do show that when good art is put up like this [[whether we personally like it or not is subjective because all art galleries have things some of us do or do not like) the tagging slows or stops, and as more building owners allow it, this may even give kids within Detroit a non-violent creative outlet which is always a good thing.

I'd rather see kids painting murals with permission than shooting at each other. That said, illegal taggers I have no mercy for. They should be sentenced to big time public service. If a business owner does not want one of these murals, it is extremely disrespectful and offensive to deface a property they put their sweat and tears into not only for their benefit but also for the benefit of the local community. Beyond tagging looking tacky, it also looks scary and makes people not want to come into the city.

I wish there was so much vitriol for the millionaire and billionaire owners of all the blown out garbage properties that are in every sector of the city. Not even a "condemned" ticket or emergency demolition notice on Packard ?? And you want some superhero group to track and capture people running around in the dark with spray paint cans ? And then you want somebody to pay for an elaborate program where the "taggers" are made to clean up the derelict properties for the billionaires...Hmmm...

Too much hysterical messenger killing.

I wish there was so much vitriol for the millionaire and billionaire owners of all the blown out garbage properties that are in every sector of the city. Not even a "condemned" ticket or emergency demolition notice on Packard ?? And you want some superhero group to track and capture people running around in the dark with spray paint cans ? And then you want somebody to pay for an elaborate program where the "taggers" are made to clean up the derelict properties for the billionaires...Hmmm...

If it's any consolation my vitriol is towards both the slumlords and the taggers. The city should be fining the hell out of the building owners [[and use the courts to garnish wages if possible) and any taggers that are caught should be sentenced to a painfully large number of community service hours.

They're both scumbags and should be dealt with severely. I don't get the you can only have complete contempt for one group of scumbags.

Its not one or the other that I am pointing out, but the massively disproportionate response to one and not the other. Graffiti is like bugs. If your house aint clean, you get bugs. The bugs didnt mess up your house to start with, they are a symptom of your shitty house keeping skills. Yes, the bugs make the dirty house nastier, but they are still not the source of your problem. Clean your house.

You're just crabbing without an iota of evidence to back it up. So, yeah, I'll take the evidence that has been amply provided by many sources that taggers are NOT encouraged over your fearmongering and misinformation. You don't have to like it. You don't have to inform yourself on the topic. You can be as ignorant about it as you like. But don't post here stuff that isn't backed up by the facts and expect anybody to take you seriously or respect your worthless "opinion."

You're just crabbing without an iota of evidence to back it up. So, yeah, I'll take the evidence that has been amply provided by many sources that taggers are NOT encouraged over your fearmongering and misinformation. You don't have to like it. You don't have to inform yourself on the topic. You can be as ignorant about it as you like. But don't post here stuff that isn't backed up by the facts and expect anybody to take you seriously or respect your worthless "opinion."
    I'm not looking for your respect. Just spouting my opinion. That is what this site is about. Or did I miss the notice that only your opinion counted?

http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.ph...d-by-graffiti/

http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.ph...ock-hamtramck/

Living in SW Detroit as I do I am familiar with the horrible, ugly Santa Muerte [[St. Death) that some of the violent Mexican drug gangs idolize. St. Death appears to be hugely idolized in the photo of one of the Detroit "Beautification" murals posted above.

Default You seem to be going off the subject

Where were slum lords mentioned in the above topic? Where did I say I thought that was okay? Of course I don't think that is okay. They should be punished very harshly. They have contributed just as much if not more than all the others in the decline of the city!

I'm not looking for your respect. Just spouting my opinion. That is what this site is about. Or did I miss the notice that only your opinion counted?
    Opinions count when they're backed up by evidence. Or else you're just talking out of your ass. Which, frankly, you do a lot of on here. Want to spread wisdom? That's cool; go ahead. Want to spread ignorance? There's another forum for that, and I think you just might enjoy joining that collective circle jerk. In fact, I bet you already have.

Anyway, thanks for posting those links. They make the point better than I could on here.

Opinions count when they're backed up by evidence. Or else you're just talking out of your ass. Which, frankly, you do a lot of on here. Want to spread wisdom? That's cool; go ahead. Want to spread ignorance? There's another forum for that, and I think you just might enjoy joining that collective circle jerk. In fact, I bet you already have.

Anyway, thanks for posting those links. They make the point better than I could on here.
    Why such anger thinly veiled with smiley faces? Did I piss in your Cheerios?
    I posted those links to show both sides of the issue but you are blinded by your aversion for coprophilia!

Why such anger thinly veiled with smiley faces? Did I piss in your Cheerios?
    I posted those links to show both sides of the issue but you are blinded by your aversion for coprophilia!
    Not angry, baby, not angry at all. Just tellin' it like it is, and still smiling.

Anyway, I don't get your reference, but I think most people would share an aversion to coprophilia.

"Coprophilia is a sexual fetish people feel when they come into contact with feces. Coprophilia can be said to be liking the smell, taste or feel of feces in a sexual way."

I mean, like, ewwwww ...

Good point, mauser.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast