Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

In doing my online real estate searches I've noticed that most of the homes for sale are on Harvard and Grayton. There appears to be virtually nothing for sale on Outer Drive, Kensington, and Yorkshire and very little on Bishop. Am I to surmise from this that the westernmost streets in EEV are the most desirable?

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    In doing my online real estate searches I've noticed that most of the homes for sale are on Harvard and Grayton. There appears to be virtually nothing for sale on Outer Drive, Kensington, and Yorkshire and very little on Bishop. Am I to surmise from this that the westernmost streets in EEV are the most desirable?
    Yes, the larger and more desirable homes tend to be in the southwest corner of EEV. I would still drive around the whole are as there are many lovely homes on all the streets and a few suprises. I know of one home with not quite a carriage house [[no bathroom facilities, but two nice rooms over the garage) but still very unique for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Yes, the larger and more desirable homes tend to be in the southwest corner of EEV. I would still drive around the whole are as there are many lovely homes on all the streets and a few suprises. I know of one home with not quite a carriage house [[no bathroom facilities, but two nice rooms over the garage) but still very unique for the area.
    Did any of the notable architects design homes in EEV that you know of?

Default east english village and schools

[I really can't believe that anybody with little kids is serious about moving to a house in Detroit . Come on now, really?
    All the profiles in the Friday Free Press home section feature Detroit middle aged singles or couples with very good jobs who are kind of fixing up houses as a hobby.
    If you have children and crave an inner city lifestyle, [[and don't kid yourself that you are living in a suburb environment) move somewhere like Harbortown or Lafayette Park and send your kids to private schools.

So it looks like we're going to do it... Does anybody know anything about the Detroit Land Bank? Has anybody had any experience with them?

Congratualtions scott55! Make sure you touch base with Bernice Sabatella @ Jim Saros Agency - she knows the neighborhood listings very well.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Congratualtions scott55! Make sure you touch base with Bernice Sabatella @ Jim Saros Agency - she knows the neighborhood listings very well.

Good luck!
    Thanks! I'll look her up. There are still a lot of things which need to be done before we move... dealing with my underwater house in Ypsi chief among them. We'll probably start looking a little harder once the baby's born. I'm pretty excited though!

Shollin Guest

Thanks! I'll look her up. There are still a lot of things which need to be done before we move... dealing with my underwater house in Ypsi chief among them. We'll probably start looking a little harder once the baby's born. I'm pretty excited though!
    Unless you are going to pay cash, how do you plan to buy a new house?

Closer to Mack, obviously the better. I think overall the neighborhood will get better. True, a few break ends over the past Christmas holiday. We have some great long time residents of EEV, that makes it so worthwhile!

Values are up slightly. There is a house on the 2nd block of Bishop that is listed and actually I will be listing my Cox & Baker Cape Cod [[1st block) very soon but not because I no longer like the neighbohood.
    I need to be closer to work and my fiancee has a larger home in Troy, [[not that we really need more space I might add).

Tough to say. The most stately homes by far are on Kensington and East Outer Drive south of Waveney, but there are predictably none for sale. The lots are big too. Harvard is very nice the whole way up, really. Grayton has modest houses south of Cornwall, similar to what you'd find in say Harper Woods except many having the pre-war architectural detail of moorish arches, cove ceilings, natural fireplaces, etc. Generally though it does ring true that the closer to Mack the better, but there are notable exceptions and nothing here is scary. Really in my experience except for a couple blocks the housing stock is all desirable. Even in the most modest-seeming houses you have the most charming details.