Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Long term planning for relocating to Detroit: please help.

Hello, Detroit.

I visited Detroit for a week in 2010 as part of a group presenting at the USSF. I grew up in Western Wisconsin, lived Minneapolis/St. Paul for 10 years, lived in Madison for three years and returned to the Twin Cities after living in Guatemala for six months. I'm 31 now and at the point in my life where I am looking for where I eventually want to put down roots and build community. I've had this in Madison and Minneapolis, but there is something about the flavor of Detroit that calls to me. I also was really inspired by the renewal and community building during my visit. I am interested in being able to purchase a home and perhaps adjacent lots [[for gardening, maybe an apiary, perhaps a carillon tower!) with my savings. I am going to be working and saving money in the Twin Cities for at least the next year and will have the potential to bring income streams with me based on my lines of work.

I want to visit Detroit again with my boyfriend and at least one other friend in the next few months because I know one week [[especially during the USSF) probably isn't enough to gather an accurate impression of the city and I want to get to know the city better as well. I imagine if that goes well, I'll return several times before I actually relocate.

Why I am posting here is because I would be extremely grateful for any advice or pointers in these early planning stages. I know there are houses for $1-$500, but I have pretty severe allergies, and I think all of those would have mold or fire damage. I would want a house that might need cosmetic improvements, but is livable and structurally sound. As for house type preferences, I really like bungalows and anything built before the 1950s.

Any guidance to areas and general pricing would be helpful. I liked Midtown and Woodbridge quite a bit, but didn't have the chance to explore all of Detroit, plus I think the housing is more there than other areas. I'm really curious about Hamtramck. I'm not super fazed by safety as I have lived in some rougher areas of Minneapolis with no problems, and Detroit doesn't seem very dangerous after living in Guatemala. But I would like to be smart and proactive about the neighborhood in regards to violence/property crime as well.

I am resigned to the fact that I will most likely need a car in Detroit, but really prefer to walk or bike whenever is possible. I like farmer's markets, hooping, hot yoga, libraries, eating out [[I'm vegetarian and especially like international food), going see live music, and art exhibits.

Bonus points: I am proficient in English and Spanish and have studied French, German, and Japanese. Is there another language that would be fun or helpful to know in Detroit?

Thanks in advance for any responses, and I can provide any other information that is needed. I have been doing my own research as well, but would like to learn from people who already live in Detroit as well. If you think I'm mistaken about something or see a flaw in my plan, please let me know...
    Last edited by sea; June-22-12 at 04:46 PM.