Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    While not Detroit, I've been meaning to try this place in Midland due to catching them win some awards on some TV show:

http://www.bonedaddysbarbeque.com
    I've had Bonedaddy's and it was worth the hour and a half ride up. Pretty good too! They had Beef ribs the last time I was there. I tried them but wasn't Wowed. They were the size of something Fred Flintstone would eat though!

Ginopolis is located at 12 mile and middlebelt in Farmington Hills. Though not a barbecue restaurant they do have the most incredible fall of the bone ribs this side of the missispipi. The recipe imported from an in-the-family-restaurant called montgomery inn that is somewhere in ohio. The owner, Peter Ginopolis is also a hell of a guy.

Slow's: Over-rated.....
    Bad Brads: Ok, love the burgers
    Chicken Shack: No smoke flavor, greasy
    Lockharts: They weigh the bbq food serving-pass
    Famous Daves: The best tasting ribs!!!!!

[QUOTE=Zacha341;326189]Family owned Milts BBQ is located on 19143 Kelly Rd, Detroit, MI

They were originally on Huston-Whittier. The sad back story of Milts is that the owner Mr. Milt was killed in 2009 a few years back as his store was being robbed. See thread below:http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ing-BBQ-Joints[/QUOTE

Thanks Zacha. I must've had it confused with a place that was on Gratiot on the near eastside that I used to pass by alot, but closed several years ago. I couldn't remember the name.

Seem like a lot of people are into Famous Dave's. I've never had it. I might have to try it next.

Famous Dave's ribs aren't bad. The place is run like an Applebees, however. I'm sure there are many discussions on wearing the appropriate amount of 'flair' in the break room.

There are too many great local joints to go to a chain like that.

Is Vicki's still open? I grew up in that area. Pretty rough over there... not that greatest in the 70's - 80's... There used to be this little shack on Warren off the Jeffries called Greens. Anyone recall that?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Vicki's on W Warren
    The Bone yard, 3 locations in western burbs.

Yeah 'chain' placed usually don't do ribs well. Sorta ketchup and boiled rib taste, though I have done Friday's baby-back ribs a few times. I can't get into the Boneyard at all. Ick IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Famous Dave's ribs aren't bad. The place is run like an Applebees, however. I'm sure there are many discussions on wearing the appropriate amount of 'flair' in the break room.

There are too many great local joints to go to a chain like that.

Try Sweet Water Tavern on the corner of Brush & Congress. Never had a bad Rib meal there and the Wings are to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    Ginopolis is located at 12 mile and middlebelt in Farmington Hills. Though not a barbecue restaurant they do have the most incredible fall of the bone ribs this side of the missispipi. The recipe imported from an in-the-family-restaurant called montgomery inn that is somewhere in ohio. The owner, Peter Ginopolis is also a hell of a guy.
    I would hope the ribs are cooked a good distance either side of missis pipi.

Montgomery Inn is in Cincinnati and they are world famous.

Stromberg2

Just at the Woodshop this past weekend. Before there would be such a long wait that we would just leave. Now they have a great bar upstairs with all types of bar games, nooks where a group can group out tucked away. Good draft selection.

UNDER SCORE Slow's being Over-rated. Ick. Useless, bland and watered-down sauce, no matter what flavored I tried. Tasteless ribs! OVER-PRICED.

The cheese drizzelled waffle french fries are very good! I just go to the carry out for those!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Slow's: Over-rated.....
    Bad Brads: Ok, love the burgers
    Chicken Shack: No smoke flavor, greasy
    Lockharts: They weigh the bbq food serving-pass
    Famous Daves: The best tasting ribs!!!!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-23-12 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    There's a very good one in lake orion, but I don't recall the name
    The Blue Ox

http://www.blueoxbbqrestaurant.com/

My vote for best ribs in town is the Oxford Inn, Royal Oak.

Three Star BBQ in Hamtramck serves dry ribs. Do not fall off the bone swimming in sauce. Can baste as you like. Darn good.

Kerfoot Lewis: Restaurateur served the masses

I am sure if I had Kirks BBQ in the past but not really recalling it being remarkable... Anyone here have any?

Owner just passed away:

"...in 1960, he opened Kirk’s Open Pit Bar-B-Que restaurant on Grand River in Detroit. As the business thrived, he opened another restaurant by the same name on Michigan Avenue in Inkster and then a third in downtown Detroit near Chene and Lafayette."

http://www.freep.com/article/2012062...-served-masses

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Milts Barbeque on the east side... the best IMO!
    Ditto... on Kelly Rd just of north of Moross [[also known as 7 Mile to some). Yum!!!

Best BBQ in the city is between Parks on the Northend, Aunt Bessys on 7 mile & Joe Ann's on Jerome

Oh yes Parks has that strange powdery, yet wet sauce. Folks who've have had it will know what I mean. Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Best BBQ in the city is between Parks on the Northend, Aunt Bessys on 7 mile & Joe Ann's on Jerome
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-24-12 at 08:09 PM.

Friday for lunch I had Little Z's BBQ on Mack between 8&9 in Saint Clair Shores and it was good. They have Alabama White Sauce which I've only seen on tv. It's kinda vinegar, ranch taste. Worth trying in my book. Ribs were chew off the bone and not soaked in sauce. Brisket good and sprinkled with a flavorful dry rub. Mac and cheese was a little mushy but I liked the flavor. Baked beans were a little plain-no BBQ flavor. Corn bread was good. I will go back though!

I've only been there once but Red Rock in downtown Ypsi is pretty good. My side of collard greens was equal parts pork shoulder and greens, the mac and cheese was fantastic, and the brisket had a nice smoke flavor even if it was a little on the dry side [[the sauce fixed that). Plus they have Vernor's on tap.

We will drive to Pinckney for the BBQ at Chef Chris' Boogie Woogie BBQ! It is sumptuously delicious!!! Haven't had a bad dish there yet!!!

http://boogiewoogiebbq.com/

Chef Chris is a blues guitarist. Good music!! Great BBQ!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2