Hey folks. I'm from Ottawa Canada and I just came back from 3 days in Detroit. I've been a member of this forum for a few years now and I've cruised Detroit from Google earth many times but I just had to see it for myself. My friends thought I was crazy for wanting to go there. Went with my daughter who graduated from University in Toronto and we continued on to Detroit. I've seen a number of European capitals, Mexico City and Havana but I must say Detroit has a special charm. The architecture is really something special, the expanse of neighbourhoods returned to prairie, the wide streets - so much to see in the downtown and so easily walkable. I was surprised at all the cultural attactions as well - not expected - Science and Tech, Art and historical museums on Woodward which we did not have the time to see - perhaps next time. I recognized the Book Cadillac from the pics on this site. Did not know it had been renovated. That was a nice surprise.

We stayed at the Inn on Ferry - so a historical mansion. Great deal - $200 a night for two adjoining rooms including great breakfast.

You folks really have to market this place as a tourist attraction. People go to Greece and Rome to see ruins but Detroit is the history of the end of industrialization. It is history in the remaking. Art, architecture, history, ghost neighbourhoods, Belle Ile - beautiful beach. You've got it all. I had looked at getting a tour from Ottawa or Toronto at one time but there is not such thing. There are tours going to New York, Atlantic City and Chicago but not Detroit. Someone with a bit of tourism and business know how should get something like that going.

I left a bit of my heart in Detroit. I would seriously go back.