Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    try Une masse d'acier et de béton enjambant le détroit

C'est une très jolie phrase rb336!

I thought maybe a Cadillacky reference might be good.

Montreal's two main spans are called Jacques Cartier and Champlain after the french explorer and colonial founder of New France.

Incidentally, the Champlain bridge is going to be rebuilt, or a new one will be built and then the old one demolished.
    Last edited by canuck; June-17-12 at 06:48 PM.

Molson Bridge

Canadian Club Crossing

Ford Ford

Fare Enough?

Shollin Guest

Unfortunately, I got a feeling someone will want to name it the Coleman A Young Bridge.

I remember there was semi-official talk of calling it the Gordie Howe International Bridge

I'd rather have it called the Bob Probert Bridge, since he is from Windsor and played in Detroit. Would have to be one tough bridge though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    From freep.com a couple of days ago:

What would you name the new bridge?

NITC, or "New International Trade Crossing" doesn't work for me because the word "New" is guaranteed to turn stale someday [[as in "New York").
    I think we have covered some of those. The best of the bunch, and I can't believe it made its way into the article: "Combining the American Bald Eagle with Canada's symbolic animal: The Bald Beaver Bridge"

Name it in honor of the governor. Call it Shyster Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'd rather have it called the Bob Probert Bridge, since he is from Windsor and played in Detroit. Would have to be one tough bridge though.
    I assumed you meant because of the volume of drugs smuggled across.

I think we have covered some of those. The best of the bunch, and I can't believe it made its way into the article: "Combining the American Bald Eagle with Canada's symbolic animal: The Bald Beaver Bridge"
    Funny! Very inviting...

If you weigh it on the american side it could also become the "Eager Eagle Bridge."

Perhaps a name that combines our currencies, like the 'Loonie Buck Bridge'. Or since Ottawa is footing the bill maybe the 'Buckless Loonie Bridge'.

Tecumseh Bridge.

The North American

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Tecumseh Bridge.

I would vote for that! Tecumseh was far and away the most interesting personality of the war of 1812

The WPMR - Windsor's pet Maroun's regret.

All kidding aside, I agree with Tecumseh as a name. Although an enemy of the United States, he earned enough respect that the Naval Academy honors him. He was born and had many battles in the USA but died in his final battle in Canada.

How about Frontenac or Pontchartrain, after officials in New France who played a role in the settling of the straights?

The Frontenac Bridge sounds pretty good.

I would called it Rennaisance Memorial Bridge.

FUMM Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
    The North American
    I second this one. Nothing long and drawn out, as that would get cut to a acronym. Two words max. North American is perfect.

'cross using the North American bridge'
    'take the North American into Canada'

I don't think, and certainly hope, that they don't name it after a person, group, tribe.. or the like. Given the naming history of Bridges in the area, that's not likely anyway.

Keep the word Freedom out of it. Ridiculous.

Even though I mentioned it earlier, please try to avoid it becoming an Acronym.

How about:

"Matty's Ire"

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Checkpoint Matty?
    Checkmate Matty?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    FUMM Bridge
    Ok. I get what the MM stand for, but what about FU?

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Ok. I get what the MM stand for, but what about FU?
    Let me give you a hint....

[[Yes, that a clip from stiff upper lips BBC, who don't give a damn about those words. And I sure as hell don't as well.)

Last edited by Whitehouse; June-18-12 at 02:59 PM.

I just think it's interesting that we have a PUBLIC bridge that we presume will be named for something expressing a public good.

I'm equally surprised that, to make a quick buck, Matty hasn't renamed the Ambassador the "METRO PCS BRIDGE" or something.

Great Lakes Crossing.. oh, wait..

Hooray Delray.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    The Normandy Bridge, commemorating the great many American and Canadians who fought together on the beaches of France. And we are losing the remaining soldiers so quickly. Dedicating the bridge to them could be a final thank you to that generation. It would also be a nod to our 2 nations French heritage.
    +1 for Normandy, or something pertaining to the dday invasion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast