Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    City parks close at 10; they have for years. They are probably basing the closure on that.
    Not just in Detroit. All the Dearborn city parks close at 10 pm and with the exception of 3 parks, all the Huron Clinton Metroparks close at 10. It seems to be a standard closing time.

A few years I went out to the Riverwalk after a date at Seldom Blues. It was awesome.

SMH

The one that got away....

yeah, not sure why the parks close at 10pm / dusk. cant have any fun after the sun sets?

Dnerd, thank you for talking sense.

Jcole indeed points out that there are some exceptions. I am glad that the citizens can access the waterfront of their city on nights when some corporate schmoes decide to host some concert for mostly non-Detroiters on the waterfront, or for the fireworks, which I think begin after 10pm. That totally makes up for the total loss of access on any given evening when the riverfront might actually be enjoyable. Per my first post, the exceptions should be vastly expanded, at the very least. Absolutely no point to have city cops [[yes, they were Detroit Police, not private security) act as gatekeepers and not protectors to a place which is routinely but misleadingly pointed to as an asset of this city.

If you want to access the riverfront and the Riverwalk is closed, I believe you can go to Milliken State Park. I checked their website for hours and none are listed. If it falls in line with other state parks, I believe they are open 24/7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Dnerd, thank you for talking sense.

Jcole indeed points out that there are some exceptions. I am glad that the citizens can access the waterfront of their city on nights when some corporate schmoes decide to host some concert for mostly non-Detroiters on the waterfront, or for the fireworks, which I think begin after 10pm. That totally makes up for the total loss of access on any given evening when the riverfront might actually be enjoyable. Per my first post, the exceptions should be vastly expanded, at the very least. Absolutely no point to have city cops [[yes, they were Detroit Police, not private security) act as gatekeepers and not protectors to a place which is routinely but misleadingly pointed to as an asset of this city.

I think this Houston museum security guard should be hired by the DPD to patrol the RiverWalk at night.

http://www.kdge.com/cc-common/news/s...ticle=10212740

Clearly there a lot people feel that the Riverwalk should have later hours. So in the four days that thread has been around as asked the Riverfront Conservancy for later hours?

Hart Plaza seems to be open all hours of the night. I ride my bike there from Midtown almost every night. And the area right in front of Hart Plaza at the water is open too.

I have seen a scuffle take place, and then within seconds the police came out from their post under the pyramid.

I think the area directly in front of the RenCen should be open 24/7 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Well, I hate to be the sole person pointing this out, but, you know what generally makes a place safer? People out and about, all potential witnesses, and police to be on hand in case somebody needs help.

Sounds like somebody made a stupid decision.
    I agree, but the current state of affairs in Detroit it just makes sense to to close that portion of the riverwalk at 10 pm or have a HIGH police presence and we all know that cost.

I've live in other cities where they close the beach after sunset , safety .
    Also I lived in cities where public areas are open until 4am?
    I guess it's just know the vibe of the city and we all know a few knuckle heads ruin it for the rest of us.
    Better safe than sorry , until some knuckle heads can act like adults , but I dont' see that happening for a while :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Better safe than sorry , until some knuckle heads can act like adults , but I dont' see that happening for a while :-[[
    Welcome to Detroit.

Now go home...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2