Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Residency!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You're either not reading or missing my point. I'm saying that any employee of any government should live within those borders. So, in your example, anyone receiving a paycheck from the City of Birmingham should live in Birmingham.
    So from this statement I can see a LOT of unfilled positions for the DPW's in some of the Pointes, Brimingham, Bloomfield Hills as I HIGHLY doubt that they are paying the kind of money it would require to purchase a home there. Last study I saw for B'ham was a shade over 90k and that was for 2009.

Jusst sayin'
    Last edited by shovelhead; June-14-12 at 11:08 AM.

I'm a huge supporter of residency requirements. If you think you're too good to live in my neighborhood, then the last thing I want you doing is policing it. In Warren, a lot of our cops live up in the 20-23 Mile area, and that really aggravates me. The last thing I need is some jerk cop that lives on 23 Mile [[and I know some that for a fact do) flashing a light in my face in Warren from his parked squad car just because I'm riding my bike at night. You know the cops that work in certain parts of Detroit, south Warren, and other areas down on their luck look down on the people living there. It's so obvious in their demeanor and the way they talk about their jobs.

It isn't about job performance. It's about helping the local economy by not taking taxpayer money [[salaries) out of town.

If a government is paying you, you should help recycle those funds back into the community.
    Yikes. I'm glad nobody tells me how I need to spend my money.

Quote Originally Posted by noise
    Yikes. I'm glad nobody tells me how I need to spend my money.

Yeah, but the police are paid with our tax money. Imagine if all of Ford's employees starting buying Japanese cars and parking them in the corporate lots. How do you think Ford would react? Why should we be happy when the police refuse to live in the town they work and get paid in?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    "Just drive around any former bastion of city employees - most haven't fared so well."

It is the fault of the latest buyers that those neighborhoods look the way they do. It is not the fault of the people who left beautiful neighborhoods as a legacy. It is the fault of the current people.
    That's all well and good. Regardless, the end result is that the area is fucked up now because of the dropping of the residency requirement. You admit that yourself. How that is better for anyone, I'm not clear on.

It isn't about job performance. It's about helping the local economy by not taking taxpayer money [[salaries) out of town.
    But that's what most employees seemed to be doing anyway - they'd live on the border or just own a house in the city for the address, and spend most of their time and money in the neighboring cities/suburbs.

If a government is paying you, you should help recycle those funds back into the community.
    Why is that? The city employees are willfully exchanging their labor for money. They owe the city nothing, and the city owes them nothing.

Now, if the city paid you more if you lived in the city, you might have an argument.
    Last edited by JBMcB; June-14-12 at 12:09 PM. Reason: fixed typo

You're either not reading or missing my point. I'm saying that any employee of any government should live within those borders. So, in your example, anyone receiving a paycheck from the City of Birmingham should live in Birmingham.
    We're on the same side here. It's actually happened a few times lately... Can we get this IP checked, as your account might have been hacked!

I wonder how cops that live 40 miles from the city and wouldn't want their family anywhere near it would feel about walking a beat. Probably not very good. As in, it's bad enough they have to drive around in the city, but now to actually WALK in it?

I agree that all city employees should live in the city. Even the Mayor...

How far would be considered too far by those opposed to residency requirements? If someone has the attitude that as long as someone goes to work and does their job, could they choose to live in Lansing? How about Toledo? And if another state isn't good enough, someone could theoretically be a resident of Windsor and a police/fire employee in Mt. Pleasant... so it would be a bit of a commute. If someone chooses to drive for four hours each way, every day they work, and doesn't want to even live in the same country... why should anybody complain about it?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    ......the City of Detroit made a rule for the people who work for the City of Detroit. Detroit school teachers do not work for the City of Detroit. I don't know why you keep trying to confuse the two.

Detroit Public Schools could have had a rule that mandated teachers live in the district but they didn't. That was DPS's decision. And it's irrelevant that they didn't because they aren't the same body as the City of Detroit.
    No s**t! But you have not explained why they as public employees paid by taxes COLLECTED from city of Detroit residents should have received special treatment as compared to other PUBLIC employees. You are confused as to whether DPS employees are public employees. I do love how everyone flies off the handle on here. MEA/DFT it does not matter who, they are all in the business of NOT teaching your children!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; June-14-12 at 12:46 PM.

Someone already explained why. One public body chose to have a residency requirement. The other one did not. Easy enough to understand, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Yeah, but the police are paid with our tax money. Imagine if all of Ford's employees starting buying Japanese cars and parking them in the corporate lots. How do you think Ford would react? Why should we be happy when the police refuse to live in the town they work and get paid in?[/COLOR]
    Lots of people are paid with tax money. That doesn't change my opinion. I prefer being served by the brightest & best.

Have you driven by an auto manufacturer employee lot recently? They're full of competitors cars!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    If I remember it wasn't until the 70's that residency was required. If I am wrong I am sure someone will have the answer. But then before the riots and bussing there was no need for the reqiurement. As for Copper Canyon, it was popular for another quirk on the map. Most of the area is in the 48236 zip code. The residents there pay Grosse Pointe Farms/Grosse Pointe Woods insurance rates but still can live in the city.
    You are correct... there was an especially high rate of city employees on Hillcrest and Lannoo... the 2 nicest streets in the area... although the "Copper Canyon" area spread westward as far away as East English Village.

Back in the 1970s/1980s that far eastern part of Detroit [[48236 and eastern 48224) had lower insurance rates in both areas, due to the low crime rates back then.

And yes.... everything east of Canyon Ave. and South of I-94 was in the 48236 Grosse Pointe zip code [[still is today). So your mail will say Grosse Pointe for that part of Detroit. This discussion was brought up when some on this forum were complaining that St. John Hospital and Medical Center was using a Grosse Pointe address, to try to distance themselves from their true Detroit address [[most of the complex is in Detroit). But that issue is a non-starter, since the mailing address for the hospital has always been "Grosse Pointe".

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    How far would be considered too far by those opposed to residency requirements? If someone has the attitude that as long as someone goes to work and does their job, could they choose to live in Lansing? How about Toledo? And if another state isn't good enough, someone could theoretically be a resident of Windsor and a police/fire employee in Mt. Pleasant... so it would be a bit of a commute. If someone chooses to drive for four hours each way, every day they work, and doesn't want to even live in the same country... why should anybody complain about it?
    In my opinion, it doesn't matter. What about a place like WSU? How many of their employees do you think are coming from Canada or Ohio? Should it matter?

No s**t! But you have not explained why they as public employees paid by taxes COLLECTED from city of Detroit residents should have received special treatment as compared to other PUBLIC employees. You are confused as to whether DPS employees are public employees. I do love how everyone flies off the handle on here. MEA/DFT it does not matter who, they are all in the business of NOT teaching your children!
    I am not confused as to whether DPS employees are public employees. You are confused about whether employees of different public agencies should all follow the same rules. You might as well be asking why cops in Troy didn't have to live in Troy while cops in Detroit had to live in Detroit. DPS and the City of Detroit are two completely different entities. DPS is not run by the elected officials who govern the city of Detroit. It is run by a completely different set of elected officials who have no affiliation with Detroit's city government.

MEA/DFT it does not matter who, they are all in the business of NOT teaching your children!
    I used to think this forum was above this type of idiotic rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    And if another state isn't good enough, someone could theoretically be a resident of Windsor and a police/fire employee
    For police, there may be a requirement to be a US Citizen, can't say for sure. But bus drivers, county clerk's office employees, parking lot attendants, etc. could live in Windsor and I'm sure some do. I know some employees of the Federal Court used to live over there. But I don't think it should be allowed.

So let me get this straight, there are in fact parts of the city that are complete cess pools of existence... miles and miles of burned out, bombed out used to be structures with one or two little gems left on a city block that used to have 40 fully occupied. So under the residency first theory, who's the lucky cop or fireman who gets to live on 123 cess pool street? There is no more copper canyon...The main flaw with residency for the COD is that their are only certain areas left in the city that are considered functioning, habitable and hospitable areas to raise a family...So which lucky firefighter or Police officer wins that lottery and gets to live in the "nice" area. Think about it, residency has outlived its utility or more accurately Detroit's natural process of evolution made residency a punishment. Get over it they are not coming back, its called the pursuit of happiness!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I am not confused as to whether DPS employees are public employees. You are confused about whether employees of different public agencies should all follow the same rules. You might as well be asking why cops in Troy didn't have to live in Troy while cops in Detroit had to live in Detroit. DPS and the City of Detroit are two completely different entities. DPS is not run by the elected officials who govern the city of Detroit. It is run by a completely different set of elected officials who have no affiliation with Detroit's city government.
    But still paid by the residents of Detroit. Something you seem to be not able to grasp.

I'm sure that iheartthed grasps the difference. Again, what is your point? The teachers weren't required to be residents because the school system never had such a requirement. A completely different public agency, the city, did. End of story.

But it's not whether or not they ever were, it's the fact that they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    I'm sure that iheartthed grasps the difference. Again, what is your point? The teachers weren't required to be residents because the school system never had such a requirement. A completely different public agency, the city, did. End of story.
    Finally somebody mentions it PUBLIC agency! Using taxes collected from the same residents who pay for city employees. So please tell me what the difference is beyond that they were part of different agencies? What makes them so special the were not included? Its interesting the people who do not have much impact on your everyday life you want to chain to the city and the group who makes the greatest impact on your children's daily lives and CAN make a difference are not shackled to the city talk about messed up priorities!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; June-14-12 at 03:41 PM.

Teachers are under the purview of the state, not the city in which they teach. They are paid by the district, but the rules by which they abide are dictated by the State of Michigan.

And think about it - how small the pool of capable teachers would be if a municipality insisted to only hire from residents. And would they become prisoners - not able to move regionally if, say, needed by elderly parents?
    Its just crazy to think anyone should have to live in the same town they work in.

For police, there may be a requirement to be a US Citizen, can't say for sure. But bus drivers, county clerk's office employees, parking lot attendants, etc. could live in Windsor and I'm sure some do. I know some employees of the Federal Court used to live over there. But I don't think it should be allowed.
    I agree with you on this. If I were Canadian I'm sure I wouldn't want foreigners from a high crime city living in my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Teachers are under the purview of the state, not the city in which they teach. They are paid by the district, but the rules by which they abide are dictated by the State of Michigan.
    I have a feeling the NEA/MEA/DFT has more to do with that rule than Lansing. But still if the premise stated when this thread started held true why are/were teachers not included? Wouldn't they make some of the best residents and employees under that premise?

Its not about job performance? Wow.

When will we learn that anytime you ask the government to 'meddle' in your affairs, its no good for you -- and no good for the residents. Just get the hell out of the way, and let people be free -- not burdened by regulations enforced by bureaucrats that gum up getting a good job done.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast