Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    She's probably going to appeal.
    Or, the City Council could follow Collette's ruling and file the lawsuit themselves. Crittendon's is in a closed meeting with Bing's as I type, and will meet with the City Council this aftrnoon.

Note, he didn't say her claim had no merit, just that she couldn't bring them in front of the court herself.

I wouldn't write this one off JUST yet, given all the twists we've had so far.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-13-12 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Or, the City Council could follow Collette's ruling and file the lawsuit themselves. Crittendon's is in a closed meeting with Bing's as I type, and will meet with the City Council this aftrnoon.

Note, he didn't say her claim had no merit, just that she couldn't bring them in front of the court herself.

I wouldn't write this one off JUST yet, given all the twists we've had so far.
    Note what the judge said, please. He said that they could file if instructed by the Mayor. Council isn't the mayor, as far as I can see.

Al Allen on FOX 2 said that the meeting is cancelled with Crittendon. Mayor speaks in a few in a press conference.

Note what the judge said, please. He said that they could file if instructed by the Mayor. Council isn't the mayor, as far as I can see.
    Tell that to the Free Press, maybe they're wrong...

http://www.freep.com/article/20120613/NEWS01/120613021/Judge-dismisses-Detroit-city-s-attorney-challenge-toconsent-agreement?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Collette said it's up to the mayor or the City Council to bring a Detroit lawsuit and not Crittendon.

As cited by Judge Collette:

Sec. 7.5-203. Civil Litigation.
    The Corporation Counsel shall defend all actions or proceedings against the City.
    The Corporation Counsel shall prosecute all actions or proceedings to which the City is a party or in which the City has a legal interest, when directed to do so by the Mayor.
    Upon request, the Corporation Counsel may represent any officer or employee of the city in any action or proceeding involving official duties.
    No civil litigation of the city may be settled without the consent of the City Council.

As cited by Judge Collette:
    I just quoted what the Free Press claimed Collette said.

Contact them and correct them.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I just quoted what the Free Press claimed Collette said.

Contact them and correct them.
    That's a full time job, what with their shoddy editing lately. One has to wonder whether the rush to be first online has anything to do with that.

In any event, even with that over with for now, there's now this...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/18...it-departments

Elimination of 3 Detroit departments blocked, at least temporarily

DETROIT [[WJBK) - "I enjoy working with people. I enjoy being able to help the citizens of Detroit," said Gina Thompson-Mitchell.

For the past 25 years, she has worked for Detroit's Department of Human Services helping people find jobs, and now she's the one searching for work. The city is eliminating the Department of Human Services, the Health Department and the Department of Workforce Development, outsourcing the work and laying off hundreds all in an effort to balance the budget, a move she says makes no sense.

"If the general fund is what is adding to the deficit for the City of Detroit, how are we impacting that deficit?"

"Our salaries, our fringes are all written into the grants."

Grants funded by the state and the feds, and now AFSCME is taking this battle to court claiming the city went about this all wrong.

"Here you have the situation where 200 plus employees are losing their jobs except for the highest level management gets to keep work, six figure jobs by the way. I just think it's deplorable," said AFSCME attorney Richard Mack.

The lawsuit points to what's happening in the Health Department as the most outrageous.

While employees at the Health Department are being laid off, the director of the Health Department, Loretta Davis, is moving the business to a new agency, an agency run by Loretta Davis.

"What about the workers? It seems kind of self serving to me," Thompson-Mitchell remarked.

All of it's laid out in the lawsuit. Monday, a Wayne County circuit judge issued a temporary restraining order barring the city from taking any further action before a hearing next Friday. The judge's order buys Thompson-Mitchell another week on the job. She's a Detroit, so she knows the city has got to get back to providing basics.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Why fire her for doing what she was told to do by the Mayor and City Council in a closed session? They used her to try and get out of the consent agreement while having an out if things didn't work to their advantage.
    Says who?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9