Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Passivity is the main effects of Marijuana. While Passivity in itself would actually lower the chance of that person committing a crime, passivity is the sympton of reduced cognitive activity. In effect, the smokers tend not to think things through as well as they would if they weren't under the influence of Marijuana. Thus, people under the influence of it, who were already inclined to commit a crime in the first place, may be more likely to commit the crime under the influence of Marijuana as they'll likely be quite passive about the consequences.
    Impaired judgement is the main effect of alcohol. In effect, the drinkers tend not to think things through as well as they would if they weren't under the influence of alcohol. Thus, people under the influence of it, who were already inclined to commit a crime in the first place, may be more likely to commit the crime under the influence of alcohol as they'll likely be quite passive about the consequences.

Nobody's mentioned....or I haven't seen it mentioned.... the elephant in the room, namely the federal government. There has been an ongoing battle between the feds and medical pot distributors here in Washington over the past couple of years, with the DEA threaening both the state and distributors themselves with the net result that most all of them have closed.

The idea of legal pot will go nowhere until the feds get off the dime and soften their stance.

^^ It has to do with decriminalization/enforcement, and making legitimate legal and political statements. This law has nothing to do with the feds, because the DEA does not go around and bust people for minor possession infractions. Currently, marihuana possession under an ounce is only a misdemeanor offense, and is under the jurisdiction of state and local law enforcement to deal with.

If the vote passes, than the police in the City of Detroit are expected to follow the city ordinance, meaning cease and desist of arrests pertaining to possession of marihuana up to one ounce [[confiscation may be a different monster). If not, than the buck stops with the mayor. If he chooses not to uphold the will of the voters, either a. a lawyer with time and money on his hands can sue the city, or b. the people of Detroit can vote Bing's non compliant ass right on out of the mayors office.

If the majority of voters in several cities and states decide for themselves what policy they plan on enforcing, it [[in theory) will force Washington politicians to reign in the bureaucrats. It can also bring legal cases in front of federal judges who may be sympathetic [[activist) to that particular cause. If a case makes it in front of the Supreme Court, than there is the chance of setting a state's rights precident involving that particular policy. In this case, the ability of the the states to challenge the scheduling policy of drugs in general.

The direct democracy method also sends the message to the powers that be that more people are starting to figure out what time it is. It has a way of exposing those politicians who don't believe in the right of the American people to determine their own course through their vote.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post

The idea of legal pot will go nowhere until the feds get off the dime and soften their stance.
    Too many powerful lobbyist with too much invested in the current "system" for that to ever happen.

There are those out there who outright ignore numerous scientific studies on the benefits of cannabis. If ever notice, everything negative regarding the substance is government related. They have been proven wrong on almost every aspect of marijuana use, but will continue to fight against it and win.

We have come a long way in the past 10 years regarding pot, and I hope the momentum continues. It's slowly becoming more acceptable as I believe more people are becoming educated on the issue.

The ones that make me laugh are the ones who say our Michigan medical cannabis law was "poorly written". It was written that way on purpose, and done so very well. They knew exactly what they were doing. Many lawyers have made a lot of money in medical marijuana cases on issues tied up in the courts because of "confusion". Coincidence?

Either way I will vote for whatever law decriminalizes pot [[for any adult) and makes it easier for people to obtain legally. The idea that law enforcements wastes time and resources on pot cases is an absolute joke.

I agree with the above two posts. But the feds threatened action against the state for issuing licenses, and the distributors themselves. The consumers were pretty much left alone.

Cannabis is still listed as a Schedule 1 drug under the Controlled Substances Act, and until something is done to change that, the DEA has a very large stick that can cause very large problems.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I agree with the above two posts. But the feds threatened action against the state for issuing licenses, and the distributors themselves. The consumers were pretty much left alone.

Cannabis is still listed as a Schedule 1 drug under the Controlled Substances Act, and until something is done to change that, the DEA has a very large stick that can cause very large problems.

That stick will be turned back against them, hopefully sooner than later.

Inclusion on Schedule 1 indicates NO medicinal use or value, if I'm not mistaken, and the more the populace learns the true applications for this herb the better the collective anecdotal case against Schedule 1 listing for cannabis.

There WILL have to be studies that attempt to find the mechanisms which're seemingly curing some forms of CANCER in more than a few folks. If they don't happen, it is simply more proof that the medical industry isn't really interested in cures...as long as there is some expensive treatment or pill they can make you pop every day, it seems they prefer profit over people.

Cheers

First off, we're not talking about "legalizing", but rather "decriminalizing". Everything is inherently legal, until we make a law that says it is illegal.

Secondly, what is decriminalizing marijuana more likely to do:

- Greatly increase use?
    - Greatly decrease purchasing it from drug dealers and reduce the amount of money going to fund gangs and shady characters?

I would propose that the latter is more likely to happen. Dispenseries will immediately open up to fill the need of decriminalized recreational use. Folks will no longer need to go to an alley or drug house to score some week, but instead can go to a controlled environment and get a consistent and safe product.

I've never done recreational drugs of any kind [[weed, cigarettes, etc...) however, I most certainly support the ability of people to make their own free choices about marijuana. If it were decriminalized I still wouldn't use it.

...wonder when the big-press conference protests from the pastoral groups/urban activism organizations will start..
    side note- can't hemp fiber be used for paper.. less trees killed?

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Folks will no longer need to go to an alley or drug house to score some weed, but instead can go to a controlled environment and get a consistent and safe product.
    Let's not get carried away with this one.

I'm pro-cannabis advocate all the way, but I don't like when my side exaggerates things in an attempt to strengthen their arguments either.

I don't smoke that much these days, but even since my early days I haven't known anyone to go to a dope house or a seedy location to buy pot. That's reserved for harder drugs [[which I also think should be decriminalized, but that's for a different argument). Maybe others have, but not me personally.

To be honest the market is saturated with excellent cannabis grown indoors these days. Anyone who would actually go to a dope house or buy from a complete stranger is really out of the loop.

But that being said, we are pretty much in agreement. When you criminalize things that aren't real crimes, you still create real criminals. Legalize this stuff and generate some businesses and tax revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    Let's not get carried away with this one.

I'm pro-cannabis advocate all the way, but I don't like when my side exaggerates things in an attempt to strengthen their arguments either.

I don't smoke that much these days, but even since my early days I haven't known anyone to go to a dope house or a seedy location to buy pot. That's reserved for harder drugs [[which I also think should be decriminalized, but that's for a different argument). Maybe others have, but not me personally.

To be honest the market is saturated with excellent cannabis grown indoors these days. Anyone who would actually go to a dope house or buy from a complete stranger is really out of the loop.

But that being said, we are pretty much in agreement. When you criminalize things that aren't real crimes, you still create real criminals. Legalize this stuff and generate some businesses and tax revenue.

With you most of the way here...but there remains a strong import business which is clearly a commercial enterprise.

I'm alongside Ed Rosenthal on this issue, he and those with him at High Times Magazine have advocated for many years what they've come to call the Tomato Model.

Legalize it, fully and freely. [[and I'd add: Free everyone in prison who remains incarcerated solely for marijuana possession, and expunge their records. Reset the generations-old mistake).

Tax commercial enterprises who sell wholesale to distributors...but leave individual's gardens alone.

Just like the current market for tomatoes.

http://edrosenthal.com/2009/12/ask-e...ato-model.html

Cheers!

Default I'm not addicited, I can quit anytime I want!!!!

Can I borrow some money for my medicine??
    Name:  joint.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  39.8 KB

I'll say to some extent let adults do what they do within reason, but I've have experienced the 'weed head' factor in teens in the class room and other social settings. Not usually a good time.

Ask any teacher about their preference for having a stoned teen [[or college student) before them. Most would prefer not to deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    What is a "weed head," and why would putting this on the ballot affect the number of them?

I don't buy the addiction claims, not even the "psychological" addiction claims. Quitting marijuana cold turkey leaves zero negative effects. That's all Reefer Madness talk. Don't believe it.

I would love to see legalized marijuana have some enormous unexpected economic benefits for Detroit.

I dunno...I'd say being bummed that I'm out [[again) is quite the negative effect.

As far as Zacha's complaint, which is quite valid, that leads to many aspects of the issue. Using and abusing are two very different things...and in an UNcontrolled blackmarketplace, where strains and additives and such are unknown, and consumption is done for the purpose of getting and being stoned...there is little way for a teenager to avoid abusing this herb.

But, various hybridized strains share a wide variety of the good stuff within cannabis...a balance between THC and the other cannabanoids [[along with even more wonderful things they are discovering now that true scientists are able to finally study Mother Nature's Most Amusing Analgesic)...and as a reliable, consistent, and safe sourceline is established, along with societal adaptation to public displays of herbal medicine application [[heh)...abuse gives way to proper use. I've seen it time and again with my friends who choose to use it curatively.

I'm NOT saying medicial users are immune to enjoying it, but there is SO much more to this that cannot be understood from afar. Lotsa judgement from all sides on this issue, since it has been propagandized for two generations or more...and more than a few have been programmed by that distortion of truth. I am still aghast that things have changed so quickly, I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; September-02-12 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Can I borrow some money for my medicine??
    Name:  joint.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  39.8 KB
    As a Cass Tech grad, you are surly smart enough to not actually believe that garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'll say to some extent let adults do what they do within reason, but I've have experienced the 'weed head' factor in teens in the class room and other social settings. Not usually a good time.

Ask any teacher about their preference for having a stoned teen [[or college student) before them. Most would prefer not to deal with that.
    I don't think weed is to blame in these places. Chances are these types of people are idiots with or without marijuana in their life.

Ask any parent, when their kids become teenagers, the magically transform into idiots. All of them do. It is up to parents and schools and society to teach them the proper time and approach to these things so they hopefully grow into useful ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2