Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

^^^^ Can you get it here?

Probably not, unless poster upstream explains Alabama chicken. I make a great homemade version!

Stromberg2

Alabama style chicken is the name of the business. It's located inside the liquor store. I know basically all liquor stores inside of the city sell some form of chicken and pizza, but this one is actually an independent franchise. The original location was on charlevoix next to Walts Barbershop.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/c...ite_sauce.html

Just grill the chicken with hickory and dip in sauce and grill a bit more. Serve sauce on side. Tasty!

Stromberg2

When Gratiot Central is open, the Amish chicken counter has
    pretty good fried chicken. During the week, they don't fry
    after 2:00, not sure what the schedule is on Sat.

Dead of winter.... might as well fall-off-the-wagon a tad and go for some fried chicken! My latest favorit is Manhattan Chicken on Connor not too far from Mack or so. It's small and connected to a gas station I think, but seems clean - courteous staff and the best fried chicken wings out there! Lightly battered, well seasoned [[not just salty) and just the right crispness. They even have fried 'pickle' slices but I'd not go 'there'!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-13 at 04:22 PM.

I used to love that Alabama chicken place when it was in the party store on Charlevoix. Would swing by there on my way home from work and pick me up some chicken on a far too often basis. Had an old guy friend who lived nearby on Helen and used to bring him over some chicken, a bottle Frank's red hot, a half gallon of 7 crown, and a jug of club soda and have us a weekday evening party with his old jazz records. Sometimes throw in a watermelon for dessert from the truck that was often parked on Vernor. Ahhhh, summertime in Detroit...

Haven't been to the place on Jefferson, but now that you've brought up the memory of that salty/peppery/crispy 'Alabama style' chicken I'll just have to drag myself by.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Flavor Flav promises a chicken & ribs restaurant on 15 & Van Dyke, with some local developers.. http://tinyurl.com/6rcoy8w
    Really....wonder what demographics & loyalty they are seeking with promoting the Flav? According to wikipedia:

In 1991, Flav pled guilty to assaulting his then-girlfriend Karen Ross and served 30 days in jail, lost custody of his children, and sank deeper into addiction.[7]

In 1993, Flav was charged with attempted murder and imprisoned for 90 days for shooting at his neighbor.[5] That same year, Flav was later charged with domestic violence, cocaine and marijuana charges; his family performed an intervention and he checked into the Betty Ford Center for an addiction to crack cocaine.
    In 2002, Flav spent nine weeks in Rikers Island jail for driving with a suspended license, numerous parking tickets, and showing up late for appointments with his probation officer.[5]
    On May 2, 2011, Flav was arrested on four outstanding misdemeanor warrants for various driving offenses.[34] Police said the rapper had two outstanding arrest warrants for driving without a license, one for driving without insurance, and one related to a parking citation.[34][35] Flav has since been released.[34]
    In June 2011, Flav told Australian radio show The Kyle and Jackie O Show that when his drug problem was at its worst, he would spend up to US$2,600 a day on crack cocaine.
    On October 17, 2012, Flavor Flav was jailed in Las Vegas on felony charges stemming from a domestic argument with his fiancee and threats to attack her teenage son with a knife.

Sounds like Flav needs to hit the bricks with this idea - he has to many problems of his own that we don't need at all...

You'll hate me for adding this, but back when Church's was a small operation, there was one at the end of my street. I remember when they sold gizzards. Imagine this little eight year old white kid with horn-rimmed glasses walking down the street trying to tear into [[and choke down) this leathery piece of greasy, deep-fried chicken innard. Soul has a weird way of reaching us all at some point.

^^^ I used to like Churches fried okra. Now it's nasty to me... ick.

The chicken joint inside party store is gone. Thank God the soul food place off Riopelle is still open. I recommend the meat loaf, smothered chicken and greens.

The Bagley Grille downtown is a wonderful place for fried chicken. It's a low-key place and there's usually not many people there, but the food is great. It does take a while sometimes for the food so I would order ahead of time, but it's worth the wait. The chicken is crispy and delicious -- the owner said he uses a recipe from his mother who is originally from Alabama.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2