Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I will be there fri and sat. Hot rod power tour has a car coral car show
    Friday at the grand prix i am not in the tour but i did get my datsun
    in the show. And i think we will be taking a parade lap on the track.
    BGM

As I sit and write this, my husband and son are down on Belle Isle, in the rain.

They plan on parking on Cobo roof and talking the shuttle bus to Belle Isle. Will probably come home soaked.

The best races for spectators were the ones run on downtown streets, but I hear it was brutal on the cars and drivers.

No, I will not be going. I am sorry but any venue that does not allow me to protect myself will not get my business/money.

http://www.detroitgp.com/tickets/index.cfm?cid=17682

The following items are NOT permitted through admission gates:
    Ladders, scaffolding or other structures, umbrellas, lawn chairs, firearms or other weapons, bicycles, roller blades, strollers and wagons.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    No, I will not be going. I am sorry but any venue that does not allow me to protect myself will not get my business/money.

http://www.detroitgp.com/tickets/index.cfm?cid=17682
    Protect you from what??

That lady with the menacing looking $1,030 Louis Vuitton handbag sitting on the bleachers next to you??

If you're that paranoid... it's best you avoid ALL cities...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Protect you from what??

That lady with the menacing looking $1,030 Louis Vuitton handbag sitting on the bleachers next to you??

If you're that paranoid... it's best you avoid ALL cities...
    Not paranoid, a realist.

I have been to many events downtown where I had no isses whatsoever. I have been to a couple where I did feel a bit threatened. When I am with my kids in an area that unfortunately has higher odds of something bad happening, I error on the side of caution.

For what its worth, I do much prefer rural areas but work does not allow me to spend much of my time in those settings

Husband and son just got back from the Grand Prix free day. The roof top parking at Cobo Hall was closed due to paving. They are not sure if it will be open tomorrow.

The parked in the West Riverfront lots, by the Post office. Well tended with lots of nice big shuttle buses. Took only 15 minutes to Belle Isle. My husband said it was very well organized. Have fun tomorrow and Sunday, the lots East of the Ren Cen, GM building will be open, with shuttle buses.

Postscript;

He felt very safe, of course he carried a large umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Not paranoid, a realist.

I have been to many events downtown where I had no isses whatsoever. I have been to a couple where I did feel a bit threatened. When I am with my kids in an area that unfortunately has higher odds of something bad happening, I error on the side of caution.

For what its worth, I do much prefer rural areas but work does not allow me to spend much of my time in those settings
    I can understand with you having kids and all... but I would imagine that the island is closed to all non-Grand Prix traffic [[is that right?), and you can only be bused in...

I'll be interested in hearing your comparisons of today's sportcars versus what ran in the two previous races on Belle Isle. The first races were with the American Le Mans Series [[ALMS) and International Motor Sports Association [[IMSA). The sports cars this weekend are from the NASCAR-related Grand Am [[GA) series.

The ALMS is a higher-tech series related to the rules of the 24-hours of Le Mans while the GA rules are more spec and lower tech. There's been a 13-year battle between the groups and their respective philosophies. So, I'll be interested in hearing comparisons between the shows put on by those who have attended the other events and this one.