Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Did your sister's family not eat James' Coney Island while in Texas? They're a bit different that Detroit dogs [[Texans are VERY persnickety about their chili) but still very good!

Quote Originally Posted by ptero View Post
    Not knocking Lafayette and American, but I just want to say > Gus's was the Best! Sadly, long gone. He was on the east side of Woodward south of Campus Martius.
    Yeah, Gus’ was my favorite too. In 1965-66, I played French horn in the Detroit City Boys’ Band which practiced in the GAR Building on several evenings per week. Despite its name it was coeducational by that time. We played concerts at Belle Isle, the State Fair Grounds, and downtown for the lighting of the city’s Christmas tree. After rehearsals I used to walk to Gus’ for a Coney Island and soda pop, and would then catch the Woodward bus home. The bus stop was right outside Gus’ front door. It was especially nice to wait for the bus to arrive, cozy inside Gus’ on cold, rainy, or snowy nights. In those days the city was so safe that I thought nothing of taking the bus home at ten or eleven p.m. on school nights. My parents thought nothing of it.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; August-29-20 at 02:33 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3