Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
Woodward Avenue is a state highway, hints the M-1. A project like this does not necessarily need council and mayoral approval. Regardless, I think they would support the project anyways. How can you not? It is being mostly funded by private investors. That opportunity does not come too often.
The City has some control, I'm not sure the specifics but they can say "NO" if they really want to. Case in point: M-1 Rail was at this exact juncture 5+ years ago, and the City forced them to join the DTOGS/Woodward Light Rail effort instead of go on their own. Now after some very public failures by the city, they have recovered to their original point and seem to have a more sound financial estimate [[being higher) and more firm/higher level of committments for the financing.

I really hope this happens, and I can't imagine LaHood would come to town to have a presser announcing the project is dead. He's a great guy with high standards but even I wouldn't schedule a trip and line up all the local electeds and philanthropists just to tell them NO.