Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    You are quite right with not going back to Detroit, at least for most of the younger under-35 crowd. I'll probably end back up in SE MI because I may be able to find a job in my career field in Detroit. I will admit that I have attended a number of going away parties in the last year here in DC for folks leaving for other places...Seattle and San Diego being the two top destinations.
    I agree. I think burn out is a major reason people leave bigcities such as Chicago, D.C or New York. The rat race. At least this is mypersonal experience. The pace, the crowds, the crime, constantly looking overyour shoulder, the expensive cost of living etc. I have a few"die-hard" born and raised LES NY friends who want to leave the NYbadly because they can't afford it. But they see it as giving up. Or they feelif they leave the urban life behind, they view themselves as quitters or they feellife has beaten them and won. I find this to be insane. I think Detroit willeventually become an over-flow city for ex-Michiganders living in other bigcities, looking to return home. Detroit is affordable without the hustle &bustle, crowds, traffic, rudeness, etc. Detroit is a quiet and desolate bigcity with just enough to do where you're staying busy but not overwhelmed bythe madness. But one thing is for sure, I'll always love everything about bigcity living. You can't beat it! I'll miss the feeling of wondering "whatthe hell am I gonna see when I walk our my door today?" Or look out mywindow for that matter... I might return at some point in my life because I'llstill own my building. But for right now I'm ready to get back to Michiganwhere I can go fishing during the day, listen to the Tigers on the radio andreturn to my quiet rural home and sit next to a bonfire...and not some crazypeople hanging out all day in front of my building passing time away.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I agree. I think burn out is a major reason people leave bigcities such as Chicago, D.C or New York. The rat race. At least this is mypersonal experience. The pace, the crowds, the crime, constantly looking overyour shoulder, the expensive cost of living etc. I have a few"die-hard" born and raised LES NY friends who want to leave the NYbadly because they can't afford it. But they see it as giving up. Or they feelif they leave the urban life behind, they view themselves as quitters or they feellife has beaten them and won. I find this to be insane. I think Detroit willeventually become an over-flow city for ex-Michiganders living in other bigcities, looking to return home. Detroit is affordable without the hustle &bustle, crowds, traffic, rudeness, etc. Detroit is a quiet and desolate bigcity with just enough to do where you're staying busy but not overwhelmed bythe madness. But one thing is for sure, I'll always love everything about bigcity living. You can't beat it! I'll miss the feeling of wondering "whatthe hell am I gonna see when I walk our my door today?" Or look out mywindow for that matter... I might return at some point in my life because I'llstill own my building. But for right now I'm ready to get back to Michiganwhere I can go fishing during the day, listen to the Tigers on the radio andreturn to my quiet rural home and sit next to a bonfire...and not some crazypeople hanging out all day in front of my building passing time away.
    I returned here last summer. If opportunity knocks and you have already been to the show [[NY,LA,DC, Chi., wherever), are under 35 and have your $$$hit in order...Michigan is the place to be. You get to be the big fish in the small pond while enjoying dirt cheap living expenses. A few years ago I'd swear up and down that I was NEVER coming back. Now I couldn't be happier that I did.