Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    other than the stickers and badges, these race cars resemble the sponsor's street cars as much as a 707 resembles a F117.
    Uh, that was MY argument earlier in this thread, remember? It concerned how the COT looks nothing like what comes off the production line.
    In any case, the "Chargers" employ Dodge engines.

ccbatson Guest

I know, but didn't you then reverse yourself with this post?

I know, but didn't you then reverse yourself with this post?
    I don't know how I did. I just wrote that three Dodges made the top ten at Loudon. I don't believe I wrote three "Chargers" or "Avengers" did. Dodge supplies the engine for the Penske & RPM teams. For technicality & symantecs I could change it to "Teams running Dodge engines make the top ten." But it sure doesn't mean I support the COT program; pull the cars off the production line & mod 'em like in the old days.
    I don't get into hard core debating about every subject on here like a lot of other people do. Occasionally I'll hit the throttle & go at it. But mostly, I do hit & runs, maybe throw a bone out there to see who'll chew on it the hardest. Or do what you did with me here when you used the word "hope" on one message & I put up the Obama campaign poster with "HOPE" emblazened on the bottom.
    Anyway, it appears since RPM finally supplied Kahne's team with the R6 engine, he's been having better finishes including the win last week. We'll see if that keeps them in the Dodge stable or they'll bolt for Toyota. As much chaos as that organization is in, it may as well stay with Dodge instead of reinventing the wheel with another manufacturer's engine, processes, etc. Kurt Busch has been using that engine all year & has stayed inside the top five in the standings. If NASCAR was really about using what comes out of the assembly plant, then real cars would be used & Dodge could run the 5.7 Hemi bored to 359 CID. Now THAT would make for some interesting racing!

Stosh Guest

Dodge could run the 5.7 Hemi bored to 359 CID.
    Ford and Chevy would be hard pressed to win a race if that happened. Especially if they were to have to run "stock" cars. I wonder why someone don't revisit that concept among automakers and racers. It could be a draw for some.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparDan View Post
    Uh, that was MY argument earlier in this thread, remember? It concerned how the COT looks nothing like what comes off the production line.
    In any case, the "Chargers" employ Dodge engines.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they use Dodge blocks, and special ones at that, everything else being very, very custom, nothing in common with production engines?

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they use Dodge blocks, and special ones at that, everything else being very, very custom, nothing in common with production engines?
    Pretty much so. Dodge is involved with testing, providing support, etc. And with the bankruptcy, they had to pull back on that, hence RPM wanting to jump ship to Toyota.
    Here's a little info on it.
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...nges-detailed/

NASCAR is primarily about the driver personalities & marketing these days. I pull for "Dodge", but as myself & CC have pointed out, the COT is pretty much a clone with only the stickers to let you know who the "manufacturer" is.

Stosh, I have to admit I'm not a die-hard fan, so for all the rules & regs NASCAR puts out, I'm sure they have some either forbidding or curtailing the use of a Hemi. When the Daytona/Superbird was tearing up tracks with the 426 Hemi, NASCAR stepped in & basically said those bodies could only run wedge engines, IE, the 440.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...re-open-today/

Chrysler plants to re-open today

June 29th, 2009 by Bill Cawthon
    Thousands of workers will return to their jobs after having been idled since April 30. Chrysler is restarting seven assembly plants along with powertrain and support facilities.
    The resumption of production was threatened by some supplier problems, including a recently resolved dispute with TRW and there still may be challenges as some suppliers are already in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and others may follow soon. This could cause supply-chain disruptions and hamper Chrysler’s ability to crank out new cars and trucks.

ccbatson Guest

Isn't it a reversal to comment with pride that 3 "Dodge" race cars won an event after pointing out that these race cars are no more 'Dodge" than your bicycle is?

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...quality-index/

Ram is top pickup in Total Quality Index

June 29th, 2009
    by Bill Cawthon
    The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 beat competitors from Ford, GM, Nissan and Toyota, claiming the top spot in Strategic Vision’s 2009 Total Quality Index [[TQI).
    The TQI, released today, showed the Ram scooped up 899 points, the highest total quality score for a truck in the 15 years the study has been conducted. Customers were impressed by the added storage capacity of the new Rambox and gave the Ram the best truck scores ever recorded.
    The Ram outscored not only every other full-size pickup, but every compact or mid-size pickup, as well.
    “Our all-new 2009 Dodge Ram is rated by owners as the best truck ever built,†commented Doug Betts, Chrysler Group’s senior v-p for quality. “It is a game-changing, class-leading truck that is second to none. This award confirms that we are making significant changes and improvements, which enhance the overall ownership experience and are being recognized by our customers.â€
    Strategic Vision’s Total Quality Index score is derived from measurements of all aspects of the vehicle ownership experience including product, reliability and dealership [[independent variables) against multiple outcome measures [[dependent variables) which include the following: Satisfaction with the complete ownership experience; perception of quality; owner reported delight; future purchase intent and emotional attachment to vehicle. The maximum possible score is 1000.
    2009 Strategic Vision TQI – Full-Size Pickup Standings
    Dodge Ram 1500 – 899 points
    Ford F-150 – 883 points
    Nissan Titan – 881 points
    Chevrolet Avalanche – 877 points
    Toyota Tundra – 867 points
    Chevrolet Silverado 1500 – 842
    GMC Sierra 1500 – 799

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...les-in-survey/

Challenger and Liberty named “Ideal Vehicles†in survey

June 29th, 2009
    by Bill Cawthon
    The Dodge Challenger and Jeep Liberty were among the winning vehicles in AutoPacific’s 2009 Ideal Vehicle survey. The survey, based on responses from 25,000 owners who bought or leased a new from September through December 2008, respondents said the Challenger and Liberty meet or exceed their expectations and are, according to AutoPacific, “perfect the way they are.â€

The Challenger was the favorite in the Sporty Car segment while the Jeep Liberty repeated last year’s performance as the top Mid-Size Sport-Utility Vehicle. Just last month, the Liberty took top honors in AutoPacific’s 2009 Vehicle Satisfaction Award study.

“We are very pleased that the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Challenger have won high praise from their owners. In fact, this is the second year in a row the Jeep Liberty has earned this honor,†said Doug Betts, Chrysler Group’s Senior V-P of Quality. “This study is confirmation that we understand the needs of our customers, and are designing and building vehicles that they are proud to own. Because of their positive experience, these consumers become promoters for our brands and in this difficult market, their endorsement is priceless.â€

ccbatson Guest

Fiat is Chrysler now...and Chrysler exists only in the models developed by the former company.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...er-10-million/

Edmunds predicts June SAAR over 10 million

June 30th, 2009
    by Bill Cawthon

Jesse Toprak, Edmunds.com’s executive director for industry analysis, says U.S. light vehicles will have a seasonally adjusted annual sales rate [[SAAR) of over 10 million units. If Toprak’s crystal ball is accurate, it would be the first time since December 2008 the SAAR has hit that mark.
    Toprak sees Chrysler selling 83,000 cars and trucks, down 29.1 percent from June 2008, but better than its May results. Based on his estimates, Chrysler’s market share would be 9.4 percent, well ahead of last month’s 8.5 percent. One thing that may work in Chrysler’s favor is a renewed interest in minivans. Toprak is looking for a 12 percent month-over-month increase in minivan sales, saying, “With generous incentives drawing attention to this segment, many families are rediscovering minivans as the most practical and least costly way to transport people and things.â€

ccbatson Guest

Imagine we are celebrating a prediction of automakers squeeking past the 10million mark

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...e-sales-final/

June Sales – Final

July 1st, 2009
    by Bill Cawthon

June light vehicle sales came in just under 860,000 units, down 27.7 percent compared to June 2008. The leaves automakers 35.1 percent behind last year’s pace at the end of the first six months of 2009. The seasonally adjusted annualized sales rate [[SAAR) refused to break the 10 million mark, stopping at 9.69 million, and failing even to meet May’s 9.91 million SAAR. This has to be a bit of a disappointment as a lot of industry insiders and watchers were looking for the 10 million figure as an indication sales were beginning to recover somewhat.

Chrysler sales were down more than predicted as good retail sales were hurt by poor fleet sales due, in part, to the fact the company shut down production for several weeks while it was in bankruptcy. The Chrysler minivans, outsold the Toyota Sienna, but the combined sales of the Town & Country and Caravan couldn’t equal the sales of the Honda, which were up 11.8 percent in June. Even though its sales were down in June, the Jeep Wrangler remains the best-selling traditional SUV in America. Ram pickup sales picked up, leaving the big Dodge just 10 percent behind last year. Only the Ford F-Series and Nissan Titan posted better results.

Imagine we are celebrating a prediction of automakers squeeking past the 10million mark
    Chrysler made the front page of the News again today:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...s-in-showrooms

At least from this article one thing we can see about some of these Chrysler people is that they refuse to get discouraged in the face of adversity. Of course, there is also the story about the guy who found himself in hell and spent eternity telling himself "it's not really hot, and I'm not really here...."

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Chrysler made the front page of the News again today:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...s-in-showrooms

At least from this article one thing we can see about some of these Chrysler people is that they refuse to get discouraged in the face of adversity. Of course, there is also the story about the guy who found himself in hell and spent eternity telling himself "it's not really hot, and I'm not really here...."
    All you can do is keep battling away. What I find interesting is how well the Challenger sells. I was at my dealership not long ago & while waiting for my vehicle spoke to a few sales people; they said the RTs are a hot seller & any SRT that comes along doesn't sit on the lot very long. Maybe they should retro the Sebring/Avenger along the lines of the old A-bodies[[Valiant/Duster/Dart)...eh, just a thought.
    I found this link further down the page.
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...er+partnership

Fiat brings innovation to Chrysler partnership

ccbatson Guest

Don't you see...cars that people want to buy sell. What are they choosing here? Not the 1.2 Liter fiat microcar that gets 35 MPG....the 425Hp 6.1L V8 Challenger Srt8 that gets 15 mpg.

Don't you see...cars that people want to buy sell. What are they choosing here? Not the 1.2 Liter fiat microcar that gets 35 MPG....the 425Hp 6.1L V8 Challenger Srt8 that gets 15 mpg.
    The problem is they can't survive off of that as their bread 'n butter. I'd love to own one, but it wouldn't be an everyday driver. Not to mention it'd be like carrying a second mortgage. With a 40mile round trip to work everyday, my next vehicle will most likely be a V-6 truck. I have a V-8 now & get what I consider reasonable MPG; I sure don't enjoy filling up the tank every 8 or 9 days though.

Here is their current lineup of 4s:
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html
    I believe one key is offering any 4cyl the option of a turbocharger. I had a 2.2 in an '87 Daytona & that on-demand power made a huge difference. You get the best of both worlds: good MPG & HP when you need it. They also need to present styling that at least captures the average consumer's attention. Not to mention they market the daylights out of the Ram but little else; it sells, but again, it won't be what turns a profit.

The new V-6 will be sporting 280HP & 260 lb/ft; it's expected to get 23MPG hwy. I'm sure it'll be in the Durango, Dakota & Challenger, not to mention the Charger & 300. I think a lot of it has to come down to marketing as these bodies are decently styled. It falls back to the small car market again & if Fiat can provide resources for that, then this merger[[takeover) may work. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by MoparDan; July-06-09 at 02:14 PM.

ccbatson Guest

Check the real world cost difference per year for 2 vehicles at say 18 mpg and 28 mpg. Then compare it to other annual costs in your budget. In this light, most folks would choose to buy vehicles that they desire regardless of the difference.

Add to that the fact that Obama's restrictions on domestic energy [[oil, coal, nuclear) pushing up the price, and the likely soon to hit the streets tax on energy by Obama and you can now see what is really going on...government intrusion.

Check the real world cost difference per year for 2 vehicles at say 18 mpg and 28 mpg. Then compare it to other annual costs in your budget. In this light, most folks would choose to buy vehicles that they desire regardless of the difference.

Add to that the fact that Obama's restrictions on domestic energy [[oil, coal, nuclear) pushing up the price, and the likely soon to hit the streets tax on energy by Obama and you can now see what is really going on...government intrusion.
    I ballpark an avg of 200miles/wk to & from work.
    28MPG = 7.1gal
    18MPG = 11.1gal
    Gas in my area is around $2.50/gal so each week I'm saving about $10; in the course of a yr, around $520. Take into account that the smaller car will have a lower monthly payment & it adds up rather quickly.
    I'd love to have a Challenger SRT, but as a daily commuter it really isn't feasible. As a weekend cruiser, not a problem.
    And how Obama is pushing up prices, explain that one please. At one stretch under Bush, I was paying over $3.50/gal. And no jingoism on this one; name sources. Make that RELIABLE, BELIEVABLE sources.
    One reason gas has gone up is because refineries have cut back on production. Speculators are trying to drive the price of crude up by going nuts anytime a Nigerian rebel makes an appearance near a facility. Remember Sen. Ted Stevens refusing to put oil executives under oath during hearings a few yrs back? Tell me there was no politics involved in that dog & pony show as they put consumers over the proverbial oil barrel.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...s-reorganized/

Mopar, all three brands reorganized

July 6th, 2009
    by DaveAdmin
    As part of the continuing transformation of Chrysler’s management structure, each of the major brand groupings has been reorganized.
    =======================================
    Breakdown is in the article itself.

http://www.allpar.com/i/meets/CEMA/2009.html

CEMA 2009: the 20th Chrysler Employee Motorsport Assoc. Charity Car Show

Lots of pics in the article.

ccbatson Guest

Right, max 520 a year. Insurance on the smaller car might be higher, and if it is a hybrid, forget the savings at the dealer, and when the batteries dry up in a couple of years. How many items do you choose to spend 520 dollars a year on because you enjoy the product or service purchased with it? Movies, dining, electronics, etc.

Right, max 520 a year. Insurance on the smaller car might be higher, and if it is a hybrid, forget the savings at the dealer, and when the batteries dry up in a couple of years. How many items do you choose to spend 520 dollars a year on because you enjoy the product or service purchased with it? Movies, dining, electronics, etc.
    Never plan on owning a hybrid. Insurance on a smaller car is going to be cheaper compared to a Musclecar. Even though my Daytona had a turbo, it didn't fall under the "Pacifica" or "Turbo Z" classification, so I paid a lower insurance rate. A few of the things that killed the original Musclecar were the high insurance premiums, then an oil embargo/crisis.
    In the perfect world I'd most likely be agreeing with you, as I wouldn't mind cruising to work in an SRT on a daily basis. Problem is, gas isn't .45/gal & the insurance premiums for one are going to be high. I'd be interested in seeing if they're going to be considered a high theft item.
    In another part of this thread I suggested Chrysler employ the MDS on their V-6 to give it a little extra boost in mileage. I know it's available on the 5.7 but I don't know about the 6.1. 2 or 3 extra MPG eventually adds up. In theory I could go roughly two more days before having to fill up.
    As for the $520...movies, new camera, a weekend getaway or two. Chances are I'd be doing one of those & dining at one of the locally owned restaurants several times. That amount of money may not seem like much to a lot of people, but I consider it a decent sum.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast